Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Cory Booker is a hero of mine. He was offered a job in the Obama administration, but turned it down because he had not completed what he had started in Newark. That guy risked his life - literally - to turn Newark around and to oust Sharpe.

He, among the first things in office, cleaned out many of the old, corrupt cops and hired new people and trained them well. They cleaned out a lot of criminals who operated with police coverage. Evidently, the cleanup is still going on, with this newly released good news.

When I was a kid I lived in North Arlington and remember walking with a friend to Newark to shop. That was in the early 60's when it was much safer. I am so glad that it is once again becoming safe for kids.

I think the good and honest people in Newark are taking back their city.

Look how safe New York has become. Perhaps it may be partially due to the cameras on subways and streets. I think after 911 the gangs were forced out because so many feds were stationed in the city and many old(corrupt?) cops also retired, to be replaced by young and well trained professional police.

Is it possible that, with more protection on the border with Mexico, fewer drugs are making their way into the country? How would we know that? This might also explain less drug activity.

'Though maybe the gangs just moved because I hear there is a big problem with heroin in the midwest.

I think a huge factor in the safety of our cities depends on how many politicians and police are taking dirty money. This has totally ruined Mexico and I would hate to see it so endemic here. I mean, when guys came back from 'Nam addicted you can't tell me that was not with tacit approval from the military. The CIA was also caught several times smuggling drugs into the U.S.

I just think/hope there are some forces for good left and it is very encouraging to see Mr.Booker doing such a great job in Newark. We need more honorable men like him in this country. He is actually doing something about corruption rather than, as most politicians, waving flags and catering to religious zealots and talking a lot with hand over heart but producing nothing but more rot.

The good citizens of Newark needed this break. Way to go, Cory!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default serendipity

"The murder-free month was the first in Newark in 525 bloody months, since before the devastating riots of 1967."

Newark shouldn't be bragging about one abberation in 525 months, as in 44 or so years !!!!!!!!

Difficult to share the joy in that stat as it portends no trend nor can it be associated with any effort to reduce murders.

Let's wait and see if any of the wounded from that 'murder free' month succumb.

It would be tough to directly credit anyone with that stat as it is serendipity at this point rather than planning and would diminish the credibility of any honest, effective method or person doing their best to alleviate felony crime.

It would be like awarding the nobel peace surprise for no demonstrated accomplishment. Doesn't do anything positive for the "winner" who is then viewed as a charlatan by everyone other than the awards committee.

Like the state lottery, the chance of you winning is infintessimal but the chance of someone winning is almost 100%. With those odds for murder I'll sure stay away from Newark.

Best of luck, but lets see a cause and effect relationship to demonstrate prorgess.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"The murder-free month was the first in Newark in 525 bloody months, since before the devastating riots of 1967."

Newark shouldn't be bragging about one abberation in 525 months, as in 44 or so years !!!!!!!!

Difficult to share the joy in that stat as it portends no trend nor can it be associated with any effort to reduce murders.
Crime is dropping in Newark, and 10 homicides for the first quarter is a substantial improvement -- still not all that great, but definitely an improvement. It's not as if this stat is a cherry picked piece of dumb luck, it comes on the back of a broader trend of crime reduction.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Crime is dropping in Newark, and 10 homicides for the first quarter is a substantial improvement -- still not all that great, but definitely an improvement. It's not as if this stat is a cherry picked piece of dumb luck, it comes on the back of a broader trend of crime reduction.
Thats becuz the city is more wired then NYC ,and has focused on Family Values ,and attracting outsiders.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Is it possible that, with more protection on the border with Mexico, fewer drugs are making their way into the country? How would we know that? This might also explain less drug activity.

'Though maybe the gangs just moved because I hear there is a big problem with heroin in the midwest.

Wow you are quite naive.

Only difference from the past is that these hard drugs have gotten more popular in the suburbs during recent years, and dealers are going in to get the stuff. So the end user generally does not have to Venture into Newark to get the stuff any longer. Now they just give their local dealer a call.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:08 AM

367 posts, read 960,073 times
I'm sure the denizens of that garden spot will make up for lost time in short order.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Maybe they should put up a big sign, like those ones you see outside factories referring to accidents;

"31 days since the last murder in Newark".

Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Cory Booker is a hero of mine. He was offered a job in the Obama administration, but turned it down because he had not completed what he had started in Newark. That guy risked his life - literally - to turn Newark around and to oust Sharpe.

He, among the first things in office, cleaned out many of the old, corrupt cops and hired new people and trained them well. They cleaned out a lot of criminals who operated with police coverage. Evidently, the cleanup is still going on, with this newly released good news.

When I was a kid I lived in North Arlington and remember walking with a friend to Newark to shop. That was in the early 60's when it was much safer. I am so glad that it is once again becoming safe for kids.

I think the good and honest people in Newark are taking back their city.

Look how safe New York has become. Perhaps it may be partially due to the cameras on subways and streets. I think after 911 the gangs were forced out because so many feds were stationed in the city and many old(corrupt?) cops also retired, to be replaced by young and well trained professional police.

I think a huge factor in the safety of our cities depends on how many politicians and police are taking dirty money. This has totally ruined Mexico and I would hate to see it so endemic here. I mean, when guys came back from 'Nam addicted you can't tell me that was not with tacit approval from the military. The CIA was also caught several times smuggling drugs into the U.S.

I just think/hope there are some forces for good left and it is very encouraging to see Mr.Booker doing such a great job in Newark. We need more honorable men like him in this country. He is actually doing something about corruption rather than, as most politicians, waving flags and catering to religious zealots and talking a lot with hand over heart but producing nothing but more rot.

The good citizens of Newark needed this break. Way to go, Cory!!!
As a life-long New Jerseyan, I would love to see Newark turn around. Paterson, too.

Re New York crime--a great read is Malcolm Gladwell's book The Tipping Point, about how social change seems to come out of nowhere from the smallest things. He points out that the drop in NYC's crime can be traced in part to the time when the head of the MTA cleaned up the graffiti on the subway cars and offered graffiti artists other venues to express themselves. It's not about graffiti, of course--it's about changing people and their attitudes from the outside in by changing their environment. When you live in a rathole, you act like a rat.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 AM

50 posts, read 77,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Yeah...let's just come up with anything to dispute it

Like record snowfall for March? How about record low temperatures?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
As someone involved with statistics, this is one of the primary reasons for drops in crime thruout the state. If it's cold and snowy many people don't venture out. If it's very hot in May or June the stats will rise for that particular month. With that being said, I do hope Newarks crime rate will improve. Many stats are being downgraded to less serious crimes for instance, burglaries to auto's can be theft instead. And the list goes on and on. Aggravated assaults are pushed down to simple assaults. These are done to make the police chief and director and mayor look extremely well in the eyes of voters. But the one crime that can't be downgraded is murder. Dead is dead. Keep up the improvement on a year to year basis and we than have something to be happy about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey