U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,874,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm confused. Are you saying it's okay to disrespect the town and the beach? If more people share that attitude, maybe whatever town you own a house in will turn into Asbury Park, and your precious vacation house at the shore won't be worth half of what you paid for it.
It's not OK to disrespect the people in a town or on a beach (you can only disrespect people, not places - that would be the "ghetto mentality"). Likewise, it is not right to disrespect all visitors/tourists/"bennies" for the sake of "defending turf". Take the appropriate measures - enact codes and ordinances and enforce them to achieve the desired quality of life for the town - and that's that. To go above and beyond that by being disrespectful and having "benny go home" parties and rallies is another wrong and 2 wrongs don't make a right.

If a black person broke into my home, I would defend myself and my property and get the police and law involved. I would press charges if I needed to and seek appropriate retribution. What I would NOT do, however, is use the "N word" about black people because of such an incident (or incidents, if there were more than one), and if I did so, it would be wrong on my part.

Obviously, "benny" doesn't have the force or magnitude of "the N word" but the principle is the same in terms of blanket statements and generalizations being at the root for bigotry and epithets.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM

3,358 posts, read 3,112,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's not OK to disrespect the people in a town or on a beach (you can only disrespect people, not places - that would be the "ghetto mentality")
So leaving trash all over the beach and urinating on people's property doesn't qualify as disrespecting it?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM

153 posts, read 274,240 times
BCJ: I think you're taking all of this stuff a little too personally. You guys from North Jersey are not all bad as much as we complain, but come on, if you think people who live here are "white trash hicks," then there's no use in even talking to you - and that's way worse than us calling you "bennies" or "shoebies." On my "shore" street lives a physician, dentist, school administrator, federal law enforcement agent, yacht salesman, one or two retired folks and myself, who works in publishing. No "hicks" or "trash" in my neighborhood. There are a couple of houses owned by summer residents, from North Jersey, and they're very nice people - in fact, we often go to the beach with them often during the summer.

While the majority of visitors are nice, decent people here to have a good time, a quite sizable contingent come with an attitude that they're owed something and are better than everyone else for some reason, and we don't like that. The way I hear people who work in local stores treated by some visitors is nothing but disgraceful. And the littering is "disrespecting" a physical area, because we're proud of our natural resources and yes, someone has to clean it up. Then there are those who feel that because they are on vacation, they can get away with anything, do what they want, and everyone else be damned.

I can deal with the traffic, I can deal with the partying (hell, I participate in a good deal of it) and the noise never bothered me either. I say if you don't like some noise and some degree of debauchery during the summer, find a new place to live. But the attitudes are the worst, and that's what has always gotten me angry at visitors more than anything.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM

153 posts, read 274,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I can only imagine that trouble that would be caused if all the Shore locals were called "Shyokels" by those of us in North Jersey and they were met with bumper stickers, street signs, etc. that said "Shyokel go home!" They come up and pollute our air, idling to get into the city, burning charcoal at our tailgates, clogging our roads to shop, clogging our roads to get to work, littering on our roads, etc. but you don't see us being bigots about it.
Well, I think North Jerseyans tried to go with calling Shore locals "clam diggers" for a while, but it's since been adopted as a badge of honor around here. I've seen local politicians put that they are "clam diggers" in their campaign literature to prove how long they've lived in the area.

FWIW, I don't think too many people from around here go up north for shopping. I really have no reason to whatsoever - there's nothing up there that isn't here, or at least nothing I'd be interested in. As far as going to the city, I think we're all "Bridge and Tunnel" folks when we go there anyway, so to NYers, we all fall into the same category no matter where in the Garden State we reside.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,845,541 times
This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey