Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
but you said:

"Basically if you cannot walk, ride your bike or skateboard (that what my daughter does) to the beach you are a benny."

so are they bennys (is the plural of benny "bennys" or does it follow typical english and become "bennies"?) or not?
That obviously won't work in the case of a barrier island and thus reverts to the much more widely accepted and more accurate definition given before. (You can by the official benny hand book at the bennygohome website.)

Acronyms don't usually pluralize with an "-ies", right? You wouldnt make TY (meaning thank you) into TIES right? It would be TYS.

B= Bayonne E=Elizabeth N=Newark NY=New York, for the train stops on the way to the beach. Thats where benny comes from. So its BENNYS not Bennies. Get it?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM

32,907 posts, read 36,292,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
Don't worry, we know.

I've found that car dealership license plate frames are a good way tell, in all seriousness. Of course, there are always people who will drive 100 miles for a good deal on a car.

My car has a plate frame from a dealer in Bayville. And the dealership is from east of the GSP. LOL.
I changed mine.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM

88,492 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That obviously won't work in the case of a barrier island and thus reverts to the much more widely accepted and more accurate definition given before. (You can by the official benny hand book at the bennygohome website.)

Acronyms don't usually pluralize with an "-ies", right? You wouldnt make TY (meaning thank you) into TIES right? It would be TYS.

B= Bayonne E=Elizabeth N=Newark NY=New York, for the train stops on the way to the beach. Thats where benny comes from. So its BENNYS not Bennies. Get it?
There is no train stop in Bayonne. Just sayin.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is no train stop in Bayonne. Just sayin.
There was at the time the term was coined.

CENTRAL RAILROAD OF NEW JERSEY

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,670,830 times
Quote:

i think i get it. remember, i'm a stoopid benny.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Like most people i VISIT the shore and don't have the luxury of owning a place there. I never leave my garbage behind nor would I leave my garbage behind ANYWHERE i go in the state whether to the mountains or to a local county park. I don't think I own anything when I get to the shore and with the prices I pay for things like food, parking, beach passes etc i feel like I'M being owned

I'm a daytripper though or sometimes rent a motel at Wildwood for a couple days and maybe some shore house renters do act like they own the place but it's probably younger people partying alot acting like that or out-of staters letting loose idk.
doesn't matter, you're a benny. own it, live it, accept it! we are never worthy!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Its benny by the way. If only to fit the ticket acronym myth.
just curious - why didn't you correct the OP's spelling? oh, that right, he's one of you!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM

47 posts, read 159,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
just curious - why didn't you correct the OP's spelling? oh, that right, he's one of you!

I would be considered a benny.

I was just curious about how the locals feel, that's all. I didn't know it was an acronym. What does Shoobies stand for? (Shoobys?)

Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 AM

153 posts, read 488,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sPlat View Post
I would be considered a benny.

I was just curious about how the locals feel, that's all. I didn't know it was an acronym. What does Shoobies stand for? (Shoobys?)
Legend has it that once upon a time, day-trippers from Philadelphia would show up to the beach with their lunch packed in a shoebox. Locals, obviously, would have lunch at home and could pick out tourists by identifying their shoebox lunchboxes - hence, the phrase 'shoebies' was born.

The word has since been changed to represent its pronunciation ("shoobies") but really it should be "shoebies" since it refers to a shoebox.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,331,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Like most people i VISIT the shore and don't have the luxury of owning a place there. I never leave my garbage behind nor would I leave my garbage behind ANYWHERE i go in the state whether to the mountains or to a local county park. I don't think I own anything when I get to the shore and with the prices I pay for things like food, parking, beach passes etc i feel like I'M being owned

I'm a daytripper though or sometimes rent a motel at Wildwood for a couple days and maybe some shore house renters do act like they own the place but it's probably younger people partying alot acting like that or out-of staters letting loose idk.
I'm technically a benny too (well I guess a shoobie), so I guess I can't really talk either, but as someone said earlier, it's more of an attitude thing that will determine if you're a benny or not. If you can park and drive like a normal human being and pick up your trash when you leave, then you probably won't be called a benny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey