Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM

153 posts, read 487,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Tourism is a 5 billion dollar business in Ocean County alone. I think it would be great to get rid of it and see what happens. The problem is it will never happen, and shore residents KNOW this, so they feel free to complain because they know in reality they will continue to attract tourists and that tourism will remain alive and well and they will keep their costs down. It's the hypocrisy of pretending that they don't want tourists that kills me.

You people are no better than the idiotic New Yorkers who complain about the tourists and "B&T" crowds which fuel a lot of business and tax revenue in the city. Just provincial, small, bigoted minds hard at work finding reasons to label people (i.e. "B&T", "Bennies") because they're afraid of others.

Why don't you, this summer, gather up all the locals with pitchforks and torches, and have "Bennies go home" rallies??? Invest in some hoods and robes and you're all set.
LOL. They already do have Benny Go Home events. Hell, the weekend after Labor Day many of the bars and clubs around here have "Welcome Back Local" nights where you pay no cover if you have a local ID. Every other car has a BGH or "LOCAL" bumper sticker.

Now back to your other point, how does tourism keep our costs down? Our tax rates aren't magically lower. But our costs are certainly higher because we need to double police services, EMT services, trash pickups, and so on for the summer season. Most of the businesses that exist are not good ratables - meaning the property taxes extracted from these places is not higher than what you'd get for an R-1 zoned single family home. The land value is a wash between residential and commercial because of the overall location.

I wish my property taxes were lower because of revenue generated by businesses, but it's just not the reality.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
LOL. They already do have Benny Go Home events. Hell, the weekend after Labor Day many of the bars and clubs around here have "Welcome Back Local" nights where you pay no cover if you have a local ID. Every other car has a BGH or "LOCAL" bumper sticker.
And then you wonder why you have problems with "bennies".... The ignorance rivals that of the deep south.

Quote:
Now back to your other point, how does tourism keep our costs down? Our tax rates aren't magically lower. But our costs are certainly higher because we need to double police services, EMT services, trash pickups, and so on for the summer season. Most of the businesses that exist are not good ratables - meaning the property taxes extracted from these places is not higher than what you'd get for an R-1 zoned single family home. The land value is a wash between residential and commercial because of the overall location.

I wish my property taxes were lower because of revenue generated by businesses, but it's just not the reality.
Tourism at the shore is the bulk of NJ's $35 billion+ tourism industry. Are you seriously suggesting that a multi-billion dollar industry doesn't benefit the shore??? Are you serious??? Get a clue.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes.

Yes.

Some of them do. And I have never had an issue with the polite family types who use the beach. Many of the bennys come to "party"; those are the ones I wish would go elsewhere.
Those would be kids - teens to 20-somethings, mostly. They go to your town to party BECAUSE OF THE BEACH BEING THERE. So, they go to your town FOR THE BEACH. That's what people do when they go to a beach for vacation, they like to "party", whether that means dancing in a club or having a quiet barbecue and a few beers with good friends, or taking the kids and playing at the beach. I don't like the whole party kids animal house scene, either. If it sprang up in my neighborhood, I would fight it also, and I'd ultimately leave if fighting it proved futile.

What I would not do is make blanket statements about all visitors to my town because of them. And, in fact, this did happen in my town, where our first hotel, a beautiful, huge hotel had a great club in it. Word got out and every guido in North Jersey flocked to this club, their new mecca. This lasted about 3 years, when the town had enough of paying cops to act as security for it, so they enacted codes to make the club not desirable. I realize in Manasquan it may be a lot harder, and that's fine, that may be why it is taking longer. But at no time did anyone in my town hate all the tourists or visitors who came to the town to stay in the hotel. Because that would be stupid, in the same way shore locals hate "bennies".

Quote:
I hate the way many of the bennys act.
The party kids. Earlier you made no distinction and just said that "tourists" annoy you. Not the kids only, but the "tourists", generally, regardless of age or reason for the visit. So you're changing your story now.

Quote:
1. My family has been here for over a hundred years. Why should I have to move due to a NEW occurrence?
You shouldn't have to but sometimes you do have to. That's life. If your town can change things to where it's better and acceptable then great, stay and be happy. If not, then move. As I said, that's life. Things change.

Quote:
2. Manasquan has only become an animal house town in the last 15 years or so and we are already working to stop that.
More than that, because I remember going to the animal house scene in 91, 92. It was too much even for me, even at 22, 23 years old. I understand that and why your town would want to get rid of that. What I don't understand is making blanket statements about tourists and bennies because your town, for a time, drew in party animals.

Quote:
3. So what? Do you think native NYers do not find tourists hugely annoying? Can you imagine how much angrier they would be if the population of their city tripled for two months each year?
Most real NYers I know are at most slightly annoyed by tourists and they don't come up with names (like "bennies") for them. Most of the NYers who complain about tourists and B&T are the transplants who are not real, lifelong NYers anyway.

Quote:
You want people who have nothing to gain from bennys to be grateful and pleasant for their arrogant ways and you think I need a reality check? Seriously?
Reality check #1 - you do gain from bennies/tourists visiting.
Reality check #2 - when you live near the hugest tourist attraction in NJ (the shore) you will be inundated with tourists.

Living in denial doesn't justify your indignation towards reality.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 04-18-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
my opinion on this thread

"Benny go home"

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
my opinion on this thread

"Benny go home"
Why should I go home? We own two houses at the shore. Shouldn't I be allowed on my own property???

Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
What I would not do is make blanket statements about all visitors to my town because of them.

The party kids. Earlier you made no distinction and just said that "tourists" annoy you. Not the kids only, but the "tourists", generally, regardless of age or reason for the visit. So you're changing your story now.
I don't think anyone in this thread characterized all bennys as inconsiderate a-holes, but the ones that are are why they get a bad name.

There's a difference between "annoy" and "genuinely dislike." I would bet that most tourists are annoying to the locals simply because of the traffic they create, but that is something most people can deal with. But when some of these people come to their town and disrespect the town and the beaches, that's when they start to genuinely dislike them.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread characterized all bennys as inconsiderate a-holes, but the ones that are are why they get a bad name.
It's only after asking a few times that some here admitted it was only the "party" kids. Before that, it was "bennies" or "tourists". If it's "some bennies" or "some tourists", then say it that way.

For example, if I said I hate shore locals, what would you think I meant?? In fact, I hate certain shore locals, a minority of them, of the "benny go home" variety, because they are bigoted a-holes (and they are the ones who instigate the guidos every time).

Kids are kids. Local kids party down there also. I've had locals cut across our lawn down there and do other things where I've had to confront them. But I don't blame it on their being locals. It's because they're kids. The difference between them and the benny kids is that the bennies tend to be guidos and the locals tend to be white trash hicks. But both groups of kids are KIDS who want to party and they get in fights. It's not like locals are angels down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
There's a difference between "annoy" and "genuinely dislike." I would bet that most tourists are annoying to the locals simply because of the traffic they create, but that is something most people can deal with. But when some of these people come to their town and disrespect the town and the beaches, that's when they start to genuinely dislike them.
That sounds like the Crips and Bloods - "don't disrespect out turf". What a ghetto mentality. Maybe the bigoted shore locals just need to get an education and/or open their tiny minds up a bit and realize there are other people in the world.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 PM

153 posts, read 487,204 times
Quote:
That sounds like the Crips and Bloods - "don't disrespect out turf". What a ghetto mentality. Maybe the bigoted shore locals just need to get an education and/or open their tiny minds up a bit and realize there are other people in the world.
Cool. Well this summer, I'm going to take a trip up to Bergen County, act rude and obnoxious to all of your neighbors and inside your businesses, disobey your laws, disregard common courtesy and act as if I'm better than you, litter your local natural resources and end the day by getting really drunk and peeing on your front lawn.

Now, multiply that by a few thousand or so, and you'll see why we get pretty tired of bennies quickly.

Quote:
The difference between them and the benny kids is that the bennies tend to be guidos and the locals tend to be white trash hicks.
"White trash hicks" couldn't afford to live in most Shore area towns.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Cool. Well this summer, I'm going to take a trip up to Bergen County, act rude and obnoxious to all of your neighbors and inside your businesses, disobey your laws, disregard common courtesy and act as if I'm better than you, litter your local natural resources and end the day by getting really drunk and peeing on your front lawn.

Now, multiply that by a few thousand or so, and you'll see why we get pretty tired of bennies quickly.
We already have that. They're called "shoppers" here. We don't hate them, so we don't have any special names like "Shoppies" or "Shennies" for them. Anyway, feel free to join the thousands of others. We won't notice one more. Oh, and don't bother on Sunday...everything is closed, because we make laws to make the area the way we want rather than complain about people coming here to support the businesses that are here to do business with them. Much more realistic this way.

Quote:
"White trash hicks" couldn't afford to live in most Shore area towns.
Most of the locals are white trash hicks whose families have lived there since it was affordable. It would be more appropriate to say that white trash hicks couldn't afford to MOVE there, which is why bennies are moving there by the SUV-load...or at least buying shore homes for vacation or investment.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Are you saying it's okay to disrespect the town and the beach? If more people share that attitude, maybe whatever town you own a house in will turn into Asbury Park, and your precious vacation house at the shore won't be worth half of what you paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey