Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
And you keep missing the MAIN point here. If I dont like the way I am treated in McDonalds or if I think they are ripping me off, I can go to Burger King. If enough people feel the same way, that McDonalds goes out of business.

If the school is McDonalds and private school is Burger king, I can still go to Burger King, but I have to pay McDonalds too. My only option where I dont pay double is if I relocate my whole family. Thats a lot to go through for a Big Mac and fries.
And you have yet to address the very real problems associated with voucher programs. So you complain about the current system, and have no real answers for the flaws in the system you would like to see in its place.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM

18,454 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And you have yet to address the very real problems associated with voucher programs. So you complain about the current system, and have no real answers for the flaws in the system you would like to see in its place.
I'm not really advocating changing the system. We got way off track here. This thread is about Christie and the teacher's union. I'm saying that Christie was elected, in part, to take on the teacher's union, and cut expenses from the state. I am saying that the salary freeze he proposes is a good thing because the people of the state have been demanding it for years and we have been helpless because we do not have the power to simply not pay. Finally have a politician who seems to be trying to put the needs of the majority first. you can have all the teachers on this board come out of the woodwork against pay freezes and benefit cuts, but I dont think that is a true reflection of what the majority wants. And dont get me wrong, I am not JUST picking on teachers. Administrators and all state employees have to get in line with the private sector.
This health care bill cuts my salary significantly. They tell me it is for the "greater good". OK, fine. Bring it on. I dont like it, and if someone told me that they were just going to "freeze" my salary at the current level, I would be thrilled. Many others here have taken pay cuts or even lost their jobs all together, so when the teacher's union hems and haws about a proposed pay freeze so our tax burden can be eased a little bit, the rest of us find it hard to muster up sympathy for the union.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,183 times
They have to make cuts..those pay freezes are a ploy..to stop cuts.
State getting no where without cuts..all over not just schools.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Not about tenure. About being based on performance instead of seniority...like in the real world

We all have our interpersonal differences we have to deal with, some of which even threaten our jobs. As far as I know, teachers are the only ones I know that have this extra layer of protection. But again, I wasn't talking specifically about tenure.

"Seniority" and "greater expertise" are two entirely different things. In the rest of the work force, the latter warrants more pay while the former, in and of itself, does not. Promotions in the private sector are based on merit and hard work. In my group, I have more power and higher pay than someone 20 years older than me. We have to EARN our promotions by going the extra mile, not by simply being on the planet for a longer period of time.

And yet, teachers far less dedicated than you will continue to milk the taxpayers throughout the rest of their life. Again, this is not about tenure, it's about this silly seniority nonsense.
Do you really think that tenure & seniority are a function of the NJEA?

I have worked union & non-union jobs & each & every one used the seniority system.

None of the teachers in North Carolina are unionized. Some of them are losing jobs because of budget cuts. they are losing jobs by seniority. Some of the teachers losing their jobs have tenure, but not enough seniority to keep their jobs.

The big difference is that at no point did the governor raise a finger to point & blame teachers, police, fireman, government workers.

What Christie did & how he did it was in poor form. He has deliberately set the populace against people who are going to lose their jobs. Yes, I saw his budget speech.

I fully understand that the public is a captive to the NJ school taxes. I paid them for years. I did not have children but I had to pay them anyway. Not once did I complain. Do you think that I have any sympathy for you having to pay the taxes when you are using them? If you are not using them & paying private school tuition, that is your choice. Plenty of people who do not have children are paying to educate your children.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You say that like teachers do not pay taxes. Does that make us self employed then?
Do you fill out a 1040ES? Make estimated tax payments? If you don't, you ain't self employed.

You pay property taxes. The portion of your property taxes that goes to public education, in essence, contributes toward your salary.

Me? As self-employed person? No taxes I pay turn around and fund my salary in any way, shape or form.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
The man wonders why people want to see him drop dead. He came in saying NJ is unaffordable, and that residents need tax relief. So far he's managed to cut tax rebates, raise fares on public transportation, and go after Union workers, all while giving those at the top only...tax cuts. The very corporate scumbags that got us into this mess to begin with. He demonizes teachers and transit workers. Would you rather have non-union staff, which could just be picked off the street, teaching your kids and driving your buses?
Yes, Corzine got the state into a mess. But Christie is taking that mess and throwing it at NJ residents, particularly the poor and middle class. You want to save the state money, instead of going after union workers, look at all the millions upon millions in Medicaid spending, many of which goes to non-citizens. And all those pork barrel projects too. But nope, instead the Governor wants to take it out on those poor and middle class.
So you can add my name to the list of people who would like to see Christie drop dead. It will be a long, hot summer, Chris. Better cut back on those KFC Double downs.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM

153 posts, read 488,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The very corporate scumbags that got us into this mess to begin with.
I can say with full confidence that corporations have absolutely nothing to do with New Jersey's high taxation. In fact, the corporations are packing up and leaving the Garden State because of the taxes.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
The man wonders why people want to see him drop dead. He came in saying NJ is unaffordable, and that residents need tax relief. So far he's managed to cut tax rebates, raise fares on public transportation, and go after Union workers, all while giving those at the top only...tax cuts. The very corporate scumbags that got us into this mess to begin with. He demonizes teachers and transit workers. Would you rather have non-union staff, which could just be picked off the street, teaching your kids and driving your buses?
Yes, Corzine got the state into a mess. But Christie is taking that mess and throwing it at NJ residents, particularly the poor and middle class. You want to save the state money, instead of going after union workers, look at all the millions upon millions in Medicaid spending, many of which goes to non-citizens. And all those pork barrel projects too. But nope, instead the Governor wants to take it out on those poor and middle class.
So you can add my name to the list of people who would like to see Christie drop dead. It will be a long, hot summer, Chris. Better cut back on those KFC Double downs.
John,

Not being snarky but according to your location info you live in Westbury NY so why do you even care???

In addition I never cared for Corizine but in his defense the problems started long before he ever took office

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Corzine did not get the state into this mess. It started with Christie Whitman's tax cut that resulted in a couple of bucks in the pockets of most people, but a windfall for the filthy rich. That resulted in a budget shortfall & she got the law changed to allow plugging it with money that was supposed to go to the pension fund.

Now Christie is going after the teachers & will force a lot out prematurely, however a lot are entitled to full pensions. Smart, especially when he did not put money in the pension fund.

If you think that this is bad, wait for 3 years, because as the teacher contracts expire, teachers who are fully vested are gonna bail, whether they had planned to retire or not.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 AM

272 posts, read 295,534 times
In the comparison of the McDonald's worker and a teacher you keep saying you can't do anything about the poor service of a teacher but there are steps you can take in the poor service of a Mc Donald's worker. You can send your child to a private school, you can complain to the principal and the Board of Ed. If the teacher is truly a poor teacher she or he will be dealt with. You also can request that you have your child put in another classroom. Even another school if you are willing to drive. You do have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey