Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
No, but my coworkers don't make commercial after commercial trying to scare the residents of New Jersey into thinking that all their kids will end up on the street selling crack and robbing the elderly if Christie has his way.

Bullying, plain and simple.
Could you post a link, please? I have never seen an NJEA commercial linking Christie to increased drug activity. Granted I rarely watch TV, but I would like to see it.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,167 times
I was being a sensationalist to make a point. When the NJEA doesn't get their way, they go into scare tactic mode.

Re your statement that Coppola doesn't represent the rest of the teachers. I don't buy it. I see the posts on Facebook that my teacher friends make, and it's laughable. There are some members on CD that are my Facebook friends as well, and they can attest to the comments.

I guess it really doesn't matter if Coppola gets fired or not. If he does indeed get canned, he will have a fat pension and golden bennies for life. Pretty sweet parting gifts for joking about the death of another person, huh?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Can you imagine if a high school kid posted something like that but used a teachers name...what do you think would of happened...suspended?? expelled?? charged with making threats???

Scary part is morons like this teach your kids

Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,097 times
Same thing going on here in florida, although the teachers here make no where near what the teachers
make in N.J...the bill passed in the Fl. senate now it's up to our Gov. Charlie Crist to either sign it or
veto it...he was for the new bill, which would eliminate tenure, and make teachers pay raises based on
THEIR PERFORMANCE..causing an uproar down here...but Now the Gov. is having second thoughts...I'm
not a teacher, but I would like to know why some of these unions are so powerful...I know teaching is
a tough profession especially today...but in business, you get pay raises based on your performance and
how well you do your job? shouldn't it be the same with teachers? I'm in the middle on this one...But
down here in Florida they WASTE most of the school year preparing kids for FCAT tests..which are done
over and over again? what the hell are they learning? then I just read that if the bill is passed the
curriculum will change and high schoolers will HAVE TO TAKE BIOLOGY, Chemistry, geometry to graduate. I don't get this? I went to high school many years ago and these courses were pretty much
mandatory, at least the biology was...I dont' get it....sorry for getting off the track here but maybe someone could explain just what in the hell these teachers want....they already get summers off, holidays, spring breaks, etc....woudn't all parents like that? and their pensions seem to be a lot better
than what my husband retired with...so what are their issues? Oh, wait they elected Obama, now I
understand....Get everything for free....housing, healthcare, etc.....this country is going down really fast.
wake up America

Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
No, but my coworkers don't make commercial after commercial trying to scare the residents of New Jersey into thinking that all their kids will end up on the street selling crack and robbing the elderly if Christie has his way.

Bullying, plain and simple.

Not that I care to debate you on this because this isnt the top at hand but actually the situation you state could become reality with the cuts.
Of course this wont happen in most decent towns but certain cities will be hurt by the cuts. When after school programs and athletic programs get cut in the inner city, crime rises.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:36 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Same thing going on here in florida, although the teachers here make no where near what the teachers
make in N.J...the bill passed in the Fl. senate now it's up to our Gov. Charlie Crist to either sign it or
veto it...he was for the new bill, which would eliminate tenure, and make teachers pay raises based on
THEIR PERFORMANCE..causing an uproar down here...but Now the Gov. is having second thoughts...I'm
not a teacher, but I would like to know why some of these unions are so powerful...I know teaching is
a tough profession especially today...but in business, you get pay raises based on your performance and
how well you do your job? shouldn't it be the same with teachers? I'm in the middle on this one...But
down here in Florida they WASTE most of the school year preparing kids for FCAT tests..which are done
over and over again? what the hell are they learning? then I just read that if the bill is passed the
curriculum will change and high schoolers will HAVE TO TAKE BIOLOGY, Chemistry, geometry to graduate. I don't get this? I went to high school many years ago and these courses were pretty much
mandatory, at least the biology was...I dont' get it....sorry for getting off the track here but maybe someone could explain just what in the hell these teachers want....they already get summers off, holidays, spring breaks, etc....woudn't all parents like that? and their pensions seem to be a lot better
than what my husband retired with...so what are their issues? Oh, wait they elected Obama, now I
understand....Get everything for free....housing, healthcare, etc.....this country is going down really fast.
wake up America

Ohh no!! The blame it on Bush and blame it on Obama fad is back!! Great stuff.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM

858 posts, read 707,680 times
I think it's funny that Christie and people are making a big deal about this. This is nothing compared to the things Christie is saying about the union and teachers. If he wants to talk about unprofessional then he needs to look in a mirror. I'm not even a teacher and i'm saying this. How would you feel if someone was attacking your career and your profession, effectively putting thousands upon thousands of teachers out of work leaving no districts hiring and putting all these people on unemployment for god knows how long, not to mention the effect on parents and the communities. My taxes are going up as are every other town in nj. after care is cut in the town over from me. not at the end of the year but at the end of the week. parents were told Wednesday that friday was the last day and to find other means. good luck with that when i'm sure most daycare is already full and alot more expensive than people can afford. Christie is also not doing anything about the state requirements and mandatory services that schools are required to provide. so schools have to do this, this and this...and oh, he's not giving you any aid to do it. If he eases some of those then it gives schools more leeway with their budgets. Also, administrators are not part of the NJEA. with some of the comments, I feel people don't fully understand this. I agree that 150K+ salary for a superintendent is overkill but the NJEA shouldn't even be part of the conversation.

I'm also not arguing that NJ has financial problems that need to be resolved. I'm just against the way he's doing it. if he was so intent on cutting 100% of funding to districts then how about cutting it 20% the first year to start. It cuts some fat and allows schools and districts to find ways to save rather than just take a machete to services, equipment and staff. he's got 4 years to keep cutting it if he needs to. did he even meet with any njea members before making this budget? did he have any town halls? did he take any comments from the towns? no

and if you think all these problems are solved by teachers taking a pay freeze then I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:08 PM

249 posts, read 753,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
wake up America
Actually the pay raises are going to be based on student performance. Sorry, but when kids come to school without homework and their parents don't give a ****, when they sit in class and goof off and their parents don't give a ****, I'll be damned if my pay is going to be based on what these kids do. Evaluate me all you want. Fact is, there are kids that have no interest in being in the classroom and have no support whatsoever at home. That's like giving a dentist a raise only if all of their patients are cavity free. You can't control what happens outside of the classroom, just like the dentist can't control if/when his patients brush and floss.

Teacher contracts are for a set number of days. I don't get paid in the summer. I get paid for the number of days I signed my contract for. On June 30th my contract is over until the new one starts on September 1st.

Want to know what I want? I want to be able to teach without having people that know nothing about education sticking their noses in and telling me how much better their way is.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
Actua

Want to know what I want? I want to be able to teach without having people that know nothing about education sticking their noses in and telling me how much better their way is.
Considering that we the taxpayers are supporting you, I think we do have a say.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Considering that we the taxpayers are supporting you, I think we do have a say.
Absolutely! The public employees have forgotten that little fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey