Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 AM

13,383 posts, read 28,653,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
Airlines have reason to--they did increase security measures (although I agree it wasn't exactly proportional). Have you seen any increaased security?? And did Metronorth, LIRR do the same 10% in 2007? Notice how LIRR/Metro North are not inreasing fares due to "low ridership" which NJ is claiming as one of their excuses.

My point is your comment that no fare increase for "years and years" is not an accurate statement. The fare increases are not in line with inflation by a long shot.
Well in the scheme of things ..everything goes up and perhaps if they did small 2-3% percent increase each year instead of waiting and then whop you one....I do feel your pain....getting to work be it mass transit or your own car is costly for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 AM

146 posts, read 625,043 times
2-3% each year is also not in line with inflation and even then would take 10 years to catch up to 25%. Over 10 years we've seen 35% increase, actually in past 5 YEARS.

I get that prices go up. This however is well beyond economic cyclical price hikes -- it is unjustified and is abusive of consumers who have few to no options (no other train lines to utilize). The provider (NJT) has an obligation to look internally FIRST with most severe measures (not just 5% of executive pay). Do you see other corporations passing all costs to their customers which are due to their own mismanagement?
Meanwhile it'll cost my spouse and I close to $1000 to get to work! (if I include daily parking which is the next thing they will be hiking). And yet unemployement benefits are $600 a WEEK in NJ? It actually is starting to make more sense to not work.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
2-3% each year is also not in line with inflation and even then would take 10 years to catch up to 25%. Over 10 years we've seen 35% increase, actually in past 5 YEARS.

I get that prices go up. This however is well beyond economic cyclical price hikes -- it is unjustified and is abusive of consumers who have few to no options (no other train lines to utilize). The provider (NJT) has an obligation to look internally FIRST with most severe measures (not just 5% of executive pay). Do you see other corporations passing all costs to their customers which are due to their own mismanagement?
Meanwhile it'll cost my spouse and I close to $1000 to get to work! (if I include daily parking which is the next thing they will be hiking). And yet unemployement benefits are $600 a WEEK in NJ? It actually is starting to make more sense to not work.
First of all not everyone gets that $600 a week in NJ...you get 66% of your base salary capped at $600 per week..if you were making $30K a year you aren't getting $600 a week

Per NJ Transit site you did not have a 35% increase in five years...more like 40% over 10 years which averages out to 4% a year if it had been done yearly with out skipping a year

Q: When was the last NJ TRANSIT fare increase?
NJ TRANSIT's fare increase history is as follows:
June 2007 - 9.6 percent
July 2005 - 11.5 percent
April 2002 - 10 percent
July 1990 - 9 percent
May 1989 - 12.5 percent
May 1988 - 9 percent
July 1986 - 10.6 percent
Sept. 1983 - 9 percent
July 1982 - 17.5 percent
July 1981 - 22 percent
July 1980 - 11 percent

New Jersey Transit

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Oh you would be suprised on that one
I do agree Nj Transit needed to be more aggressive in internal cuts and I don't mean the worker bees

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

In what world do people get 4% raise every year? Inflation has also been close to zero in recent years. EVEN broken down it is not justifiable.

And $600 is the cap but it is $405 in NY. Why on earth does NJ need more unemployment benefits than someone in Manhattan (where cost of living is highest). I am talking relative to other states, NJ is extreme.

Last edited by jubileefd; 04-15-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM

[quote=njkate;13752583]Oh you would be suprised on that one
I do agree Nj Transit needed to be more aggressive in internal cuts and I don't mean the worker bees[/quote]

that's the ONE thing we agree on. 5% cut for execs??

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM

[quote=jubileefd;13752614]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh you would be suprised on that one
I do agree Nj Transit needed to be more aggressive in internal cuts and I don't mean the worker bees[/quote]

that's the ONE thing we agree on. 5% cut for execs??
Unreal!!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
In what world do people get 4% raise every year? Inflation has also been close to zero in recent years. EVEN broken down it is not justifiable. Do you work for NJT by any chance?

And $600 is the cap but it is $405 in NY. Why on earth does NJ need more unemployment benefits than someone in Manhattan (where cost of living is highest). I am talking relative to other states, NJ is extreme.
Oh Lawd no, that means dealing with the public~~~SHUDDER~~~~

4% a year is still easier to swallow then being whopped with a 25% increase at once..according to their calculations there was no increase last year or the year before when fuel was going through the roof...that said it all still comes down to gross mismanagement by NJ TRansit higher ups

The only reason I can think of in the difference in the NY UI is it is not just based on NYC.....NY is a big state with many areas no where close to the cost of living or salaries in NYC

Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,796,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh Lawd no, that means dealing with the public~~~SHUDDER~~~~

4% a year is still easier to swallow then being whopped with a 25% increase at once..according to their calculations there was no increase last year or the year before when fuel was going through the roof...that said it all still comes down to gross mismanagement by NJ TRansit higher ups

The only reason I can think of in the difference in the NY UI is it is not just based on NYC.....NY is a big state with many areas no where close to the cost of living or salaries in NYC
Thankyou for finally finding the problem NJT , NJ DOT needs a big cleaning to but that often gets over looked. All the canceled projects due to mismanagement would have cut the traffic in the Urban areas by 40-60% and in the Suburbs by 20-30%. I drove today on 2 interstates off peak and traffic is getting pretty bad , we know that adding lanes doesn't work. Imagine what the roads will be like when these fares go into affect, probably 2 extra hrs of Rush hour each day. I honestly don't understand why Christie doesn't clean out the top and all the mismanagement. That's what's hurting this states growth and competitiveness with other states. He took the short and more painful out.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thankyou for finally finding the problem NJT , NJ DOT needs a big cleaning to but that often gets over looked. All the canceled projects due to mismanagement would have cut the traffic in the Urban areas by 40-60% and in the Suburbs by 20-30%. I drove today on 2 interstates off peak and traffic is getting pretty bad , we know that adding lanes doesn't work. Imagine what the roads will be like when these fares go into affect, probably 2 extra hrs of Rush hour each day. I honestly don't understand why Christie doesn't clean out the top and all the mismanagement. That's what's hurting this states growth and competitiveness with other states. He took the short and more painful out.
Doubtful as many who use mass transit do not own cars...If I lived in a place like Jersey City, Hoboken I would not spend the $$ to own a car would just rent one if I was planning on a road trip some where
and if commuting into NYC you will still have to pay tolls and parking which isn't cheap in NYC not to even think about the potential of damage to your car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey