U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:01 PM

112 posts, read 281,308 times

Advertisements

I would really like some input and thoughts on what being a teacher in NJ is like. I'm looking to relocate to NJ, Atlantic County to be specific, after living and teaching in NYC for 10 years.

What are benefits like? Can you retire at 55 or was that raised? Any imminent changes coming soon with Christie now in office? Is NJEA doing a good job? Any and ALL information and advisement would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Are you seriously becoming a teacher because of the retirement age? I have never heard of such a thing.

Anyway, you need to be at least 55 AND have 25 years in. So if you start at 35 you have to go to 60 and if you start at 25 you will have 30 yrs in before you can retire.

I would not count on being able to get any jobs right now with everyone being RIFed.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM

20,495 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
I would really like some input and thoughts on what being a teacher in NJ is like. I'm looking to relocate to NJ, Atlantic County to be specific, after living and teaching in NYC for 10 years.

What are benefits like? Can you retire at 55 or was that raised? Any imminent changes coming soon with Christie now in office? Is NJEA doing a good job? Any and ALL information and advisement would be greatly appreciated!
My sister & her husband have taught in South Jersey for 35 years. Their current contract will end in 2 years. My sister was planning to teach for 1 more contract, because their younger child is currently a freshman in college.

My sister will be forced out in 2 years, if not sooner. Christie is now offering state aid to districts where wages are frozen, which means opening the contract.

Ever thought of teaching in Delaware?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 PM

112 posts, read 281,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Are you seriously becoming a teacher because of the retirement age? I have never heard of such a thing.
Please re-read my original post, I said I AM A TEACHER with 10 years of experience.

Anyway, I am hoping to get more feedback here from other teachers who work in NJ.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 PM

20,495 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Please re-read my original post, I said I AM A TEACHER with 10 years of experience.

Anyway, I am hoping to get more feedback here from other teachers who work in NJ.
He is a teacher. I am not, but truthfully told you my sister's situation.

I was serious. Think Delaware.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,340,870 times
You need to get the job first and it's not going to be easy. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,696,319 times
The NJEA is a monster, but to teach in NJ you're required to join the union. Or, you can refuse and have everyone in your district ostracize you and still have to pay 85% of the dues (yes, even though you aren't in the union).

The NJEA and the concept of tenure are the two biggest obstacles in anyone taking the difficult job of teaching as a serious professional vocation. Sad.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:42 PM

78 posts, read 272,382 times
Hopefully you are vested in Ny and can collect your pension when you are entitled. You can also buy in to NJ system but it would be expensive unless they let you transfer the pension. On the old NY pension you would be better keeping it there depending on what tier you are at.
Regarding teaching in NJ: As the other poster have said it is hard to get a position in the state, especially since you will want to start at step 10. It is not impossible but the most likely places would be the inner cities where it is not as much fun.
The current retirement depends on several facors like are you a veteran, and the formula is number of years teaching divided by either 55 or 60 times the average of your last three years. Be advised there are now bills in the legislature to change the formula. Also currently if you teach 25 years(not sure if it has to be in NJ only) then you have medical for life.
There is some talk of our new govenor trying to force out or have the towns force out the teacher that are eligible for retirement now, therefore causing more opening.
Depending on your certification, and if you are certified in NJ I would suggest you check out the star ledger or on line for openings. With math or physical science you may have a chance.
Good luck

Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 AM

5,340 posts, read 12,340,970 times
I had always wanted to be a teacher, and seriously considered going back to school to get certification when I lost my job last year. But in the current economic climate ... job prospects are NOT promising. I would say special education teachers may (MAY) have a little (LITTLE) edge as "inclusion" is the word of the day. But even with that, it's not easy to find work. And with the budget cuts now, unless you have a politico willing to put you in.... Good luck.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,364,540 times
The NJEA has done a good job but truthfully, it would be difficult to answer your questions because the state of NJ's education system is up in the air. The governor has waged war on the teachers. He is driving a wedge between teachers and the public. Since teachers are greedy and selfish, the children in the state will suffer and we are the cause of all of the state's financial problems.

If the Governor's legislation is enacted then there may be a massive number of teacher's retiring by August 1 (it has been said maybe as many as 30K). Some may say that the NJEA is blowing this out of proportion but at least 6 teacher's in my school alone already said they would probably retire.

If this happens, the good news for the OP is that there may be some positions open, the bad news is, if this happens our Pension system may go bust since the government has been underfunding it for years and with a sudden onslaught of 30K new pensioners there wont be enough money. You might be able to retire at 55 but there might not be any money for you.

Last edited by hrjersey; 04-16-2010 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or