Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:30 AM

10 posts, read 41,655 times

Advertisements

Hope is good news

Property tax rebates are on the way in N.J.
Senior and disabled citizens should have already filed for benefit

New Jersey homeowners with less than $250,000 income in 2006 are beginning to see some property tax relief.

The New Jersey Division of Taxation began mailing the 2006 homestead rebate applications on April 26. The applications for the rebate are being mailed in two groups, according to a New Jersey Division of Taxation press release.

Senior and disabled homeowners should have already received and filed their applications, as their deadline for filing was June 1. Their rebates are expected to be mailed on or about July 31. Applications for nonsenior homeowners are expected to be mailed in July.

Under the Homestead Property Tax Credit/Rebate legislation signed by Gov. Jon Corzine on April 3, to be implemented as part of the state's fiscal year 2008 budget, homeowners must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for the 2006 rebate, according to the Division of Taxation.

Homeowners must have owned and occupied a home in New Jersey as their principal residence on Oct. 1, 2006. The home must be subject to local property taxes, and its 2006 property taxes must have been paid. To be eligible for the rebate, homeowners must also have had a gross income for 2006 of $250,000 or less.

The new Homestead Property Tax Credit/Rebate Program replaces the Fair Rebate Program, which had superseded the NJ SAVER Rebate Program in 2004. Under the new program, benefits are based on a homeowner's New Jersey gross income and the amount of property taxes paid on the homeowner's principal residence.

Homeowners will receive a percentage of the first $10,000 of their property taxes: 20 percent for income of $100,000 or less, 15 percent for income between $100,001 and $150,000, and 10 percent for income between $150,001 and $250,000, according to the Division of Taxation.

Benefits under the new Homestead Property Tax Credit/Rebate Program are in addition to the state's other property tax relief programs such as the Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement), the property tax deductions for senior citizens and veterans, and the property tax deduction/credit on the state income tax return. Residents who qualify can still apply for and receive benefits under those programs.

With very few exceptions, homeowner rebate applications must be filed by phone or via the Internet. The Division of Taxation urges homeowners to complete the worksheet in their rebate application packet before attempting to file.

The homeowner rebate automated telephone filing system at 1-877-658-2972, along with the Internet filing application on the Division of Taxation Web site at State of New Jersey Division of Taxation, will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the filing period. For additional information, call 1-888-238-1233 or visit State of New Jersey Division of Taxation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,184,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albaniandj View Post
Hope is good news

a classic shell game!
how about some real savings? just cut taxes to get the money you could start by eliminating the hundreds bureaucrats needed to hand out these rebate checks and then move on to cut out other waste in government

Old 06-09-2007, 10:04 AM

18,417 posts, read 15,116,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
a classic shell game!
how about some real savings? just cut taxes to get the money you could start by eliminating the hundreds bureaucrats needed to hand out these rebate checks and then move on to cut out other waste in government
What he said.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:52 PM

11,290 posts, read 16,568,122 times
Quote:
a classic shell game!
I have a better chance of being named the next Pope, then NJ's gov't not screwing us.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:44 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,184,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I have a better chance of being named the next Pope, then NJ's gov't not screwing us.
I'm not picking on you, but someone keeps voting for these aholes, how anyone in NJ could vote for a democrat is beyond me, there is a provable, direct line of corruption that goes back decades, just think of recent history,
mcgreevy, corzine,florio, toricelli, menendez and I won't even go into the lower level and backroom guys who as crooked as the come, just think hudson and camden counties

Old 06-09-2007, 03:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,689,239 times
Yeah..what you all said !!... As disgusted as I am with the NJ bureaucrats it pales compared to my disdain for NJ voters....they repeatedly treat stupidity as if it was a virtue. And to pile on I don't see any improvment even being discussed.

This recent shell game is an insult to anyone with a body temperature..

Old 06-09-2007, 03:28 PM

11,290 posts, read 16,568,122 times
Quote:
I'm not picking on you, but someone keeps voting for these aholes, how anyone in NJ could vote for a democrat is beyond me, there is a provable, direct line of corruption that goes back decades, just think of recent history,
mcgreevy, corzine,florio, toricelli, menendez and I won't even go into the lower level and backroom guys who as crooked as the come, just think hudson and camden counties

Not me..I've been voting Conservative for many years.

It's the other blind aXXholes that keep voting them in.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM

142 posts, read 535,541 times
Default I got my Rebate Check!

I already got my rebate check! Every year I save at least $6300...since I moved to PA... with over 4 times the property size!

Figure $6300 x 30 years compounded interest or utility stock dividends reinvested. An extra "nest Egg".

Old 06-10-2007, 10:29 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,775,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
I already got my rebate check! Every year I save at least $6300...since I moved to PA... with over 4 times the property size!

Figure $6300 x 30 years compounded interest or utility stock dividends reinvested. An extra "nest Egg".

That's it, rub it in

We have a saying at work "the only people left in NJ will be govt. workers, prisoners and welfare recipients".

Old 06-10-2007, 11:06 AM

179 posts, read 704,158 times
Angry Yeah, right!

"New Jersey homeowners with less than $250,000 income in 2006 are beginning to see some property tax relief. "

Not to offend you but what have you been ".........ing". The politicians take $10,000 from me and give me back $350. Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which one of them do you work for??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey