Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
Re Weehawken, you may be able to find a 2 BR near Blvd E for that price. It would be in an older building, for rent by the owner. There are signs in windows if you walk around and I have a feeling some of these places never make it to Craigslist. There's one on my street right now just 4 doors down from Blvd E. The house is not one of the nicer ones on the block but for all I know it's fine inside. Or maybe not.
I kind of figure I would be priced out of that section of Weehawken. I wouldn't really mind an older place as long as it wasn't really run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I kind of figure I would be priced out of that section of Weehawken. I wouldn't really mind an older place as long as it wasn't really run down.
Well, I think it's worth checking out if you want to live here. I saw an ad on Craigslist for an apt in another building close to Blvd E that was only $1100, but I don't remember how many BRs it had and have no idea what the condition was. The building looked great from the outside though.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 79,021 times
Dorian,

The area in newark referred to here (the ironbound, or east ward, or down neck - its called many names) is like i said, very safe, huge police presence, no high rise projects, almost entirely portugese, irish, some brazilions some polish some eastern european - melting pot, nice safe area, as well as harrison. Harrison and the ironbound are very old areas, so even though harrison is considered a suburb, it is a direct one, mneaning it directly borders the large city of newark, so itself is like a small city, the way it is built, very convenient and old school (eg. alot of people still have the 'milk man' deliver milk to their doors, farmers markets and street fairs are common). Harrison is still very irish, with a good number of portugese, and some latino (maybe 10-20 percent latino).

and the area is affordable - very, and very clean. Dont let the old buildings fool you. The edge of town is very industrial, but the inner parts are all residential.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickCityIrishMick View Post
Dorian,

The area in newark referred to here (the ironbound, or east ward, or down neck - its called many names) is like i said, very safe, huge police presence, no high rise projects, almost entirely portugese, irish, some brazilions some polish some eastern european - melting pot, nice safe area, as well as harrison. Harrison and the ironbound are very old areas, so even though harrison is considered a suburb, it is a direct one, mneaning it directly borders the large city of newark, so itself is like a small city, the way it is built, very convenient and old school (eg. alot of people still have the 'milk man' deliver milk to their doors, farmers markets and street fairs are common). Harrison is still very irish, with a good number of portugese, and some latino (maybe 10-20 percent latino).

and the area is affordable - very, and very clean. Dont let the old buildings fool you. The edge of town is very industrial, but the inner parts are all residential.
That's what I like about it, that it is like a small city. Are those factories and stuff still operating? I got the impression when I was there that a lot of that stuff was closed and if that's the case are they going to tear those down?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Does anybody know if they are still going through with the plans of building all that stuff in Harrison? And are they still renovating the path station?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Does anybody know if they are still going through with the plans of building all that stuff in Harrison? And are they still renovating the path station?
Yes , but its on hold. As for the PATH it should start by the end of this year.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yes , but its on hold. As for the PATH it should start by the end of this year.
Do they know how long it is going to be on hold for? I guessing it is going to take a long time for both to get finish.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Do they know how long it is going to be on hold for? I guessing it is going to take a long time for both to get finish.
Well the PATH should only take a year to rebuild , isk about the rest of the developments in Harrison. Depends on the Economic State.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickCityIrishMick View Post
Harrison borders a great part of newark - the ironbound. And it never was predominately italian and portugese. IT has always been historically irish and some scottish, with more portugese moving in now, and some latinos as well. still a high irish population. Very safe, easy path access, and 10 mins from manhattan. Still does have agreat family feel to it.
I have to disagree with you on this big time. First the Ironbound section is the "best" part of Newark perhaps...but "GREAT" is a serious exaggeration. It's not great at all. Still has a lot of crime, just lower by Newark standards.

Harrison has been largely Portuguese and has had a lot of Latinos for more than a few years and just a walk through town will tell you it is not "Irish" at all.

Safety... questionable at best IMO.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
Quote:
Thank you. I would have never thought Weehawken would have been the highest and Harrison would have been the lowest out of those. I would have expected Secaucus to be the best.
If these are NJ Monthly ranks, use them, but don't make them your ONLY factor to consider. NJ has MANY school districts and typically anything in the top 250 is considered good, anything in the top 100 Very good. Top 50 excellent. However, there are many factors in their rankings - you can see the stats and explanations of how they are determined on the magazine's website.

I'm surprised to see Weehawken ranked higher too, however, usually rankings only apply to HIGH schools. And in small school districts (like Weehawken) an exceptional graduating class (or very poor graduating class) could skew the results significantly in any year.

NJ Montly publishes the list every 2 years, I'd look at ratings overall in years past as well to get a better picture. And again, don't make that your only source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey