Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times

Advertisements

The 200 block of South Union Ave in Cranford is nowhere near the river, so flooding wouldn't be a concern. It is a quick walk into Downtown from there.

This part of town is smaller, oldish homes, but very nice and well-kept. Bear in mind that South Union Ave is a fairly busy street, and therefore doesn't have that "quiet" feel like some of the side streets would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 PM

20 posts, read 66,997 times
Shady, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I will definitely check out flood insurance.

Tommy, i don't know??

Any Westfielders or SP-ites out there got any insight on the aforementioned areas?? Thanks to all who take the time to reply- much appreciate it.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:05 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,365 times
Hazel Ave, behind the Armory is very nice and very quiet. Highly recommended.

One caveat - the houses on Hazel tend to be older/smaller than others in Westfield. If you're ok with that, its a great deal.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 PM

20 posts, read 66,997 times
Tommy, thanks for the input on Union Ave in Cranford. I couldn't tell how busy the street was from my google street scene. ;-)

lookto- thanks for the input on Hazel Ave.

Its all about deciding what are deal breakers and what aren't. Can't have it all- but that's ok!

I am going to try to come out in late May or early June and settle on something. Thanks for all the input guys!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM

18 posts, read 43,293 times
Default Busy Street

Just want to add my 2 cents. My kids grew up on a busy street in Cranford. When they were little, I always wished we bought on a quiet back street. But after talking to some friends on the quiet streets in Cranford,Westfield I realize sometimes there is real 'drama' and issues with nosy neighbors. I now appreciate my busy street and my 'hello' to my neighbors and that is the extent of the relationship.
I made friends with other parents of my kids friends from school and sports. Some are my closest friends today.
South Union is not as busy as my street.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Westfield is nice..Cranford not so nice.

Truly, you should not be giving advice on this forum.

Westfield and Cranford are very comparable towns, in fact, the schools rank very closely.

Yes, Westfield is at a higher price point, and it has a nicer downtown. Cranford has nicer parks and more open area.
Both towns are very well situated near major transportation, and both have a train station, on the same line.

Truth be told, you could buy a bigger home, with a bigger back yard, and possibly nicer ammenities if you would consider Cranford.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,987 times
We're selling our house in Westfield. Let me know if you'd like any info. We're on the north side of town.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:09 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCLM_NJ View Post
We're selling our house in Westfield. Let me know if you'd like any info. We're on the north side of town.

Is the home currently on the market?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
If you move to Westfield and have kids ...just know the principal at Tamaques leaves much to be desired. He just recently fired one of the communities favorite teachers for no apparent reason...

Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM

26 posts, read 68,840 times
Default Cranford Flooding

There are two types of flooding: 1) Flooding which is covered under a Flood Insurance policy (but there has to be a natural disaster declared and the flood waters has to affect a portion of land for a claim to be covered) 2) Flooding which is not considered covered by Flood Insurance, but is just a nuisance....such as back up of sewers and drains and run offs. I would say that Cranford has both types, but more often the 2nd type which would create mold in basements, etc. Other than reviewing a "current" National Flood Map I am not certain how you'd be able to determine if a neighborhood or particular home/condo has a nuisance water issue. For example, in a home I once lived in, a stream ran underground under only a small section of homes: those homes had flooded basements from time to time.
I know that there is a "creek" of some sort that runs through Cranford by Centennial Ave. and into Cranford center up to a lake of some sort where they have canoes and paddleboats near Union County College (i.e., Lakeside Drive or Avenue).
I do recall many years ago a heavy rain/downpour made this "creek" rise and somehow a car went into it and I am not sure if the driver made it out alive or not....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey