Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 AM

80 posts, read 396,024 times

Advertisements

Im looking to buy a home by the end of the year in Monmouth County. We are a young couple looking to purchase something between 350-425k. We have been looking at Hazlet,Middletown,Highlands,Leonardo,Marlboro,Mata wan etc. If anybody lives in these neighborhoods or knows enough about them to comment please feel free to leave me a message.

Im looking for:

**A safe, but lively, area of monmouth county.
**Not too far from NYC and close to NJ Transit.
**M/D homes would be great too.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,190,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
Im looking to buy a home by the end of the year in Monmouth County. We are a young couple looking to purchase something between 350-425k. We have been looking at Hazlet,Middletown,Highlands,Leonardo,Marlboro,Mata wan etc. If anybody lives in these neighborhoods or knows enough about them to comment please feel free to leave me a message.

Im looking for:

**A safe, but lively, area of monmouth county.
**Not too far from NYC and close to NJ Transit.
**M/D homes would be great too.

most areas are safe, in hazlet stay away from the w keansburg section, leonardo is generally ok but look carefully at how the neighbors maintain their property, there are some hinky streets there, the same holds true for highlands. Under no circumstances allow yourself to be talked in keansburg at any price.
the trains run through middletown and hazlet and matawan, there is a bus line to nyc on 36. You should add Old bridge to your list, marlboro and parts of middletown are out of your price range

Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 AM

So if you were looking you would say parts of Matawan,Middletown and Hazlet are my best bet? Are there parts of Matawan and Middletown I should avoid? And are there any areas I have left out that you would advise me to look at. thanks.

How is Bethany Road, Hazlet, Monmouth, NJ? Marlboro, NJ 07746? Middletown, NJ 07716?

Last edited by andyh428; 06-10-2007 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
So if you were looking you would say parts of Matawan,Middletown and Hazlet are my best bet? Are there parts of Matawan and Middletown I should avoid? And are there any areas I have left out that you would advise me to look at. thanks.

How is Bethany Road, Hazlet, Monmouth, NJ? Marlboro, NJ 07746? Middletown, NJ 07716?
you more than likely can't afford marlboro, I don't know what you mean by monmouth NJ, that's the name of the county. 07716 is atlantic highlands, the middletown area in that zip can either be shacks with low income people or
5k sq ft mini mansions, you need to away from the computer and go and look around. If you like I can refer you to a buddy of mine who hustles real estate. If you reread my response, I suggested that you add old bridge to your list, just stay away from the cliffwood/laurence harbor area

Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Default ty

thanks for the advice...very helpful. we will be going to the area soon and make a few visits at different days and times to get a feel of the areas. I wasnt you if you know of Bethany Road, Hazlet, NJ. Just curious bc a realtor wanted to show me a home there. Also that zip code of 07746 has a few homes around $440-$450k which is above my price but Im willing to go a little over for a better area. Ill looking into old bridge.

and what about union beach,aberdeen and matawan?

Last edited by andyh428; 06-10-2007 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
thanks for the advice...very helpful. we will be going to the area soon and make a few visits at different days and times to get a feel of the areas. I wasnt you if you know of Bethany Road, Hazlet, NJ. Just curious bc a realtor wanted to show me a home there. Also that zip code of 07746 has a few homes around $440-$450k which is above my price but Im willing to go a little over for a better area. Ill looking into old bridge.

bethany road is a major thoroughfare, if the house is on bethany, I'd pass, union beach is lower income, blue collar, that doesn't make it bad, it is what it is, aberdeen has ok sections for the most part, stay west of the parkway and you'll be ok, matawan is dicier, but nice homes can be found there

Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 AM

11,299 posts, read 16,602,399 times
Quote:

"IF" you have kids, check out the Lakeridge development off Route 516 in Old Bridge. You could find something in the $450,000 + range. They have a pool club just for the homeowners ($375 a year) and that's where you get to meet all of your neighbors and new friends. The pool has a swim team for the kids, which keeps them busy during June/July. Plus Old Bridge has a good school system. Taxes are around $7200+ (depending upon model of house). The Matawan train is 2 miles away (but parking will be tight and permit parking has about a 5 year wait). There are some private lots that you could prob get into. Otherwise there is a major NYC bus stop on Route 9 with plenty of parking.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 PM

244 posts, read 1,048,533 times
Quote:

Hi Andy. Bethany Road is a very very busy main road. Really take that into consideration, it's a major street in the town.

Hazlet, Matawan/Aberdeen, and Middletown all have train stations.

They are all nice towns overall.
PM me if you have any specific questions about the area. I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM

26 posts, read 125,151 times
Andy,
You are getting a lot of good advice here, but my favorite was from Kort:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
you need to away from the computer and go and look around.
That is really the key. Many towns have "nicer" sections and "not so nice sections" and the only way to figure out where you want to live is to go there without your realtor and drive around. If you see an area you like. Park the car and take a walk. Talk to the residents, find out what they like and don't like about the area. Ask them where the "bad" spots are. But remember, everyone has an opinion and you might not agree. So, do your homework.

There is no use looking at houses before you narrow the area or area(s) that you want to live it. You will just waste your time and your agents time.

In 2004, I moved from Middletown (Leonardo) to Matawan. We needed a bigger house and we needed to shorten my hubby's commute to Pitscataway. So we wanted to get closer to the parkway. We noticed that in Middletown I had to pay a higher price to get about the same price house than in Matawan, but the monthly payments were about the same because Matawan's taxes are higher. So in Matawan we were looking in the low $400s, but in Middletown we could look a little higher.

So, first drive around, like Kort said. Then after you narrow to a couple of towns or neighborhoods, compare the prices and taxes. Then you will know your price range in each town. Then look at houses, to get a feel for what you want in a house.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Thumbs up thanks

really appreciate all the advice...especially the get off my ass and go see the places haha...truly the best advice...we are planning to go out to jersey in a few weeks for a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey