Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 AM

153 posts, read 488,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
We are in crisis mode people, something has to give.
But for most people living in New Jersey, the crisis is that taxes and the cost of living is so high that they can't make ends meet and can't afford to live in this state anymore! How about that crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
But for most people living in New Jersey, the crisis is that taxes and the cost of living is so high that they can't make ends meet and can't afford to live in this state anymore! How about that crisis?
Agreed. The state needs more revenue though. Or needs to cut costs dramatically. The gas tax just seems like a very simple way to do the former with a manageable impact on the average citizen. I'm all for finding ways to do the latter. Believe me, I don't expect that a gas tax will solve all the problems. But it will help, and to me it just seems like a no brainer. I still don't understand why it hasn't increased in 20 years?

Can the state impose additional taxes on smokers as well? I'd be all for that too.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
Agree
The answer to NJ's financial mess can not be fixed by adding more taxes or increase current ones on the public...good lawd where does it finally stop!! The state needs to tighten it's belt, get rid of some of these feel good social programs and all the rest of the bloat.

10 cent increase of course will not hurt me or bankrupt me...it's the principle

Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Agreed. The state needs more revenue though. Or needs to cut costs dramatically. The gas tax just seems like a very simple way to do the former with a manageable impact on the average citizen. I'm all for finding ways to do the latter. Believe me, I don't expect that a gas tax will solve all the problems. But it will help, and to me it just seems like a no brainer. I still don't understand why it hasn't increased in 20 years?

Can the state impose additional taxes on smokers as well? I'd be all for that too.
Oh please..maybe we should add a "fat tax" as well

cut costs...what a novel idea..if only

Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
The tax is low and the Highway Trust Fund is bankrupt. So that means road repair and construction has stopped. Bridges that need repair will just get worse until there is a major incident. Everyone can cheer about the cheap gas and complain about the roads not worthy of a third world country. The only decent roadways in the state are the toll roads.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
It's been two decades since the gas tax was last raised. Only a few states have gone longer without an increase.

10 cents per gallon will result in half a billion of increased state revenue. And maybe $5 bucks/month extra out of the average citizen's pocket each month, tops. If someone can't swing that, then they have bigger problems. And really, when gas was over $4/gallon, I didn't see any less of you on the roads. So 10 cents/gallon is a reasonable increase.

Everyone needs to stop looking at "tax" as a 4 letter word. Yes, taxes in this state are a problem, specifically property tax. But this is a low cost solution which will help generate a big hunk of much needed money and will have minimal impact on the average citizen. We are in crisis mode people, something has to give.
There were FAR fewer cars on the road when gas was over $4 a gallon. I don’t know if that would happen again since the transit fares have also gone up, but it certainly happened before.

What I’ve heard today is “$5 extra for gas is nothing” “$30 more in property taxes is nothing” “$50 more for a train ticket is nothing”. That’s a whole lot of nothing.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The tax is low and the Highway Trust Fund is bankrupt. So that means road repair and construction has stopped. Bridges that need repair will just get worse until there is a major incident. Everyone can cheer about the cheap gas and complain about the roads not worthy of a third world country. The only decent roadways in the state are the toll roads.
Understand that..but do you really think if they raised the gas tax it would go to road repair or would it end up subsidizing NJ transit again or go in the general fund????
If it all goes directly to the Highway fund as much as I don't like a tax increase I could accept it with out complaining about it

Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
My republic friend said the state would barrow form the FEDs , which are bankrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
There were FAR fewer cars on the road when gas was over $4 a gallon. I don’t know if that would happen again since the transit fares have also gone up, but it certainly happened before.

What I’ve heard today is “$5 extra for gas is nothing” “$30 more in property taxes is nothing” “$50 more for a train ticket is nothing”. That’s a whole lot of nothing.
They all crammed onto Transit , but there were still a decent amount of cars on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Understand that..but do you really think if they raised the gas tax it would go to road repair or would it end up subsidizing NJ transit again or go in the general fund????
If it all goes directly to the Highway fund as much as I don't like a tax increase I could accept it with out complaining about it
It would go to both , why do you hate Rail so much? Because doesn't serve Sussex County yet? Nimby's prevented that , so don't complain about the rest of the state. And it was 3 Routes... Although there is a small push form people who fled to Sussex County for it. As to the Gas Tax not funding the Transportation Trust fund , I'm sure you wouldn't mind when your driving along I-80 and the pavement gives way.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
My republic friend said the state would barrow form the FEDs , which are bankrupt

They all crammed onto Transit , but there were still a decent amount of cars on the roads.

It would go to both , why do you hate Rail so much? Because doesn't serve Sussex County yet? Nimby's prevented that , so don't complain about the rest of the state. And it was 3 Routes... Although there is a small push form people who fled to Sussex County for it. As to the Gas Tax not funding the Transportation Trust fund , I'm sure you wouldn't mind when your driving along I-80 and the pavement gives way.
I don't hate the rail but am a firm believer if you use it you pay for it..no subsidies.
If an increased gas tax goes for the ROADS bridges I would just chalk it up..I use the roads..exactly what part of my prior post did you not understand so that I may explain
Gas tax goes to maintain roads...I'm fine
Goes to anything else I'm not fine with it and that includes that dam NJ Transit

Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I don't hate the rail but am a firm believer if you use it you pay for it..no subsidies.
If an increased gas tax goes for the ROADS I would just chalk it up..I use the roads..exactly what part of my prior post did you not understand???
Every Transit agency on the planet needs subsides , although NJT could slim it down some more. They need agency reform
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey