Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Let's be honest. They had a walkout today because they didn't want to be in class.

They don't care or don't have the knowledge at what they are walking out for
hmm, why does me think that if they walked out in protest because the teachers DIDN'T take a pay freeze, most in this thread would be lauding their efforts and pleased they were "getting involved"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hmm, why does me think that if they walked out in protest because the teachers DIDN'T take a pay freeze, most in this thread would be lauding their efforts and pleased they were "getting involved"?
Kids are selfish. If they even threatened a walkout for that the admins would DEFINITELY suspend them instead of twiddling their thumbs.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
That needs to be done all across the country.
While I agree that administrators need to be cut across the board, I don't think most folks in NJ realize how unusual it is to have so many small educational districts, police departments, and fire departments. The overhead of administration involved is huge and consolidation would help tremendously.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
That needs to be done all across the country.
It is done all across the country- many states have county-based school districts, and they work just fine.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 AM

63 posts, read 136,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Thanks for the expert analysis. The one year freeze does not save all jobs if really any at all. I love how people think they know but honestly have no idea and just spit out talking points from one side. If you are going to comment on something please be infrormed. If you have an opinion and just want to bash go right ahead but using false information really serves your argument no purpose at all. What Christies says with the one year freeze and what is actually happening are not the same story. I know its hard to believe a polititican might fudge with reality but thats the truth.
Thanks for YOUR expert analysis. The one year pay freeze could have saved jobs, even just one would have been a job worth saving. I love how people think they know but honestly have no idea and just spit out talking points from one side. if you are going to comment on something please be informed. If you have an opinion and just want to bash go right ahead but using hearsay and false information really serves your argument no purpose at all. What the NJEA and School Boards says and what is actually happening are not the same story. I know it's hard to believe corrupt administrators or unions might fudge with reality but that's the truth.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 AM

63 posts, read 136,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Because they would have known what was going on in their schools and 'most in this thread' who seem to understand what is going on would have been happy to see it. Instead they have no idea what they are actually protesting. Do you honestly think that if the kids walked because they wanted the pay freeze the teachers/administrators would have sat idle?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Do you honestly think that if the kids walked because they wanted the pay freeze the teachers/administrators would have sat idle?
Yup- sure do.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Because they would have known what was going on in their schools and 'most in this thread' who seem to understand what is going on would have been happy to see it. Instead they have no idea what they are actually protesting. Do you honestly think that if the kids walked because they wanted the pay freeze the teachers/administrators would have sat idle?
in other words, as long as they agree with you, it's ok?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
The kids who took part in this protest isn't some sort of "Donna Martin Graduates!" grassroots effort. It was basically kids who wanted an excuse to get out of class.

If the admins have some guts, they'll nail the kids with suspensions. If they don't, then it'll look like the NJEA endorsed this, proving Christie right about his drug mule comments.
I think it's great that some kids got involved in the political process. . . more should do it.

The admins will just give this event a wink. Now had a group of students protested FOR freezes they'd have brought the hammer down. More good lessons for them on the NJ political process and NJEA.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Kids get caught up in all kinds of nonsense that they are clueless about....The kids in the Daily Record from Roxbury..their parents voted NO to the school budget so go figure, you think they are telling their parents how horrid they were for voting NO...lol

I did it in high school when the teachers went on strike and we had to forfeit our Easter vacation because of it....did our student strike get our vacation back..hell no, but as 14-18 year olds we felt we made a statement

Last edited by njkate; 04-28-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey