Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
No one wants to see children starve, but when did it become my problem and not their parents problem.
It becomes our problem because we're educated, evolved humans with morals and compassion and the need to do the "right thing".

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demost View Post
That is funny. If you believe that then you should tell the hoodrats to stop worshiping cell phones, IPads, rims, limited edition sneakers and provide some food for their kids.

Who is more immoral, the people that don't provide for someone elses kids or the parents that don't provide for their own kids?
So if you get the bad luck to be born to crappy parents you deserve to starve. I understand now.

I cannot fathom how people can point fingers and feel they have the moral high ground when they would rather save pennies on their taxes (we are talking about $3M) and let children go hungry. Makes me ashamed to be an American if that is how the majority of Americans feel about CHILDREN.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Your hopless. I'm not sure how you can live in todays world without seeing the poverty and strife all around you ? In this, the richest nation in the world, there are whole homeless families living in shelters that have nothing at all except the clothes on their backs that you are apparently completely unaware of.....how can you be so blind and detached from reality to think that no matter what fate casts upon families, including irresponsible parents and poor decisions, that all parents always have the means to provide for their children.
I don't think I'm hopeless, more of a realist. The exact comment was being directed towards the 5% of kids in Lenape Regional (quite a nice area mind you) whose parents signed them up for free/reduced lunches. I suppose you can also throw the Clifton parents where the average family makes $60k a year, yet 37% of kids get free/reduced lunches.

The lunch program is horribly flawed, plain and simple, but no one wants to debate that fact. You would all rather point the fingers at "hoodrats" using the program or stone cold bastards (apparently you think I am one) that don't care about anyone. Why don't we discuss how horribly corrupt and mismanaged it is, because that's the reason I don't want my money going into it. Not to mention that using the actual guidelines the people who qualify would be getting other assistance and there is no reason they can't feed their children.

I believe that society has a role to play in helping those less fortunate better themselves, but I also seperate society from government. The government should be in the business of governing, not wealth redistribution. With that said I am all for targeted, effective programs that provide a safety net to people when they are at their most needy.

As a parent, there won't be a day that my children starve, because as a parent it is my job to provide for them. No matter how down and out you are there are always ways to provide that don't involve holding out your hands and begging for help. If the government would stop subsidizing people to be able to lead that existence you would see a change. As I said before, charity begins at home.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I'm convinced now more than ever your posts are "trollish" and demeaning and why the mods have not picked up on this by now, is a wonder.

I'm thinking he should change his screen name from Demost to Deleast.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I am not immoral. I have no immorality to justify. It is the hoodrats that send their kids to school hungry while they spend money on hair, nails, tvs, and all the other toys you need in the ghetto.

You are even trying to blame the wealthy for the actions of the hoodrats. What a joke. Hoodrats never take responsiblity for their own actions.
One of the students in my school who receives free lunch lives with his elderly grandmother since both his parents died in the world trade center. Life insurance does not go particularly far when you have 5 kids. But I guess they were hoodrats too right?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
That is fine with me as long as they use protection and I don't have to support their illegitimate kids.
Well,its your friends perpetrating it. You are trying to separate america. Its not your schools,neighboorhoods,etc. Its "our". No wonder europeans think americans are selfish and stupid.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
If you want to pay for that kid then go ahead. Don't commit my money. I don't care if he starves.
this tells me all i need to know. may god have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
So at what point is ones moral obligation fulfilled? Do you own a TV or computer? Weren't these things that you can also do without and the funds used to help starving children or adults? What type of car do you own (if any), could you have bought a cheaper one and donated the funds? Do you spend any money on yourself at all? Do you spend any time not helping others out?

Right now there are children and adults starving somewhere in America or other countries, do you think you should be donating *all* of your money to feeding them? If so why? If not why not and what things are you allowed to have?

What about those families that save a little money for emergencies (hospital/medical bills, car repairs, family members in crisis) - should they be considered greedy for saving for the future and planning ahead?
The line is when you begrudge children the tiny fraction of your tax dollars so they can get through the day without being hungry.

No one is asking any one to give up their lifestyles here, just literally pennies.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Charity begins at home. The break down of American society began and is continuing as the government expands more and more to right the social injustices around us. These were things that used to be handled at home by the family. The more the government subsidizes and provides the less incentive for actual charity and the less the need for people to care for their own families and communities.

In your case, I would feed my niece and nephew, but I would bitterly oppose the government taxing me so that they could feed my niece and nephew.

Well...then the solution appears to be that you need to make an anonymous donation to the lunch subsidy program that way you won't be getting taxed and you can still feed your less fortunate niece and nephew ?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM

66 posts, read 194,538 times
If Christie is cutting subsidized school lunches.. May we he should start with his own lunches (Subsidized by taxpayers) he might drop a few pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey