U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

510 posts, read 1,548,393 times

Advertisements

So tired of living on a budget and just getting by with our bills every month. In NJ terms I think I am no longer middle class. Slowly slipping down the class since taxes, food, utilities all got more expensive while hubby is still making the same wages as 2 years ago.

I keep thinking that to sell and leave NJ is the answer but not sure. I have worked the numbers but can you put a price on leaving your family behind? I love my town, house and schools for the most part just sick of always waiting for the roof to cave in and blow the budget!

Just ranting and want to hear that I am not alone, which I know there are always worst cases. I am sure most feel this way after paying your bills online and seeing the final amount left over on your account!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 AM

12,929 posts, read 24,062,349 times
Problem with leaving NJ is unless your husband is going to take his NJ salary with him it's all relative.
Housing, taxes may be a lot cheaper in other places but for the most part so is the salaries. Food, gas & utilities are high all over.

If you look around the different state forums the consensus from the locals is unless you have a job lined up....stay where you are unlesss North Dakota or South Dakota, one of them is doing well floats your boat...lol

Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 8,805 times
Not alone. I'm considering moving to Texas. If my company lets me take my NJ salary, I'm outta here. I will miss my family but as a single person, I can't afford to live anywhere halfway decent in the NYC area. My neighborhood is supposed to be middle-class but when the pedophile, drug dealer and his family moved in next door, I'm seeing the writing on the wall. A nice house in quiet Richardson, Texas may suit me down to the ground. Can anyone say $100k houses! That's what I'm talking about.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,106,796 times
As said above- if you don't have a job lined up, stay where you are- being jobless in a low-cost area is much worse than having to spend everything you make to stay afloat where you are.

That said, if you have the ability to transfer, or are in a field where jobs are available, it's worth a look. And the salary discrepancies for many fields aren't as large as some around here make it seem- we moved to GA from NJ, and my salary is only around 5% less than what it was in NJ, yet our housing costs (if we chose to stay in the same size house) would have been 1/3 of what they were in NJ. If you're in a white collar profession that's not tied to NYC or the pharma industry, you'll likely see the same thing.

If you can make the job/economics work, the next big hurdle is family, which you already mentioned. For us it wasn't that big of a deal, since the only family we were really close to was my mother, and she comes down often to visit. For others, not being able to see family/friends every week is a tragedy, and that's hard to overcome.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM

51,252 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
So tired of living on a budget and just getting by with our bills every month. In NJ terms I think I am no longer middle class. Slowly slipping down the class since taxes, food, utilities all got more expensive while hubby is still making the same wages as 2 years ago.

I keep thinking that to sell and leave NJ is the answer but not sure. I have worked the numbers but can you put a price on leaving your family behind? I love my town, house and schools for the most part just sick of always waiting for the roof to cave in and blow the budget!

Just ranting and want to hear that I am not alone, which I know there are always worst cases. I am sure most feel this way after paying your bills online and seeing the final amount left over on your account!
I hear you. The thing that helps me is practicing gratitude. This is NOT meant as a lecture or a "gee-look-at-how-lucky-you-are-children-are-starving-in-Africa" moment, because the frustration at not getting ahead or even staying where you once were is real. It just helps sometimes when I say to myself, "OK yeah, I WAS able to pay all the bills this month, I DO have a roof over my head/heat/water, I DO have enough to eat..., I DO have a car that runs...."

Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,415,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Problem with leaving NJ is unless your husband is going to take his NJ salary with him it's all relative.
Housing, taxes may be a lot cheaper in other places but for the most part so is the salaries. Food, gas & utilities are high all over.
It depends. If you're working in an industry that supports the local economy, your compensation depends to a large extent on the spending power of the local economy. Otherwise, there's no reason to expect a salary drop.

When I moved to PA, I got a modest salary increase, but it was a substantial jump in take home pay because health insurance and taxes are both cheaper here.

The big savings you'll see outside NJ are in insurance (health and auto) and taxes. Food is also less expensive.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,293,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hear you. The thing that helps me is practicing gratitude. This is NOT meant as a lecture or a "gee-look-at-how-lucky-you-are-children-are-starving-in-Africa" moment, because the frustration at not getting ahead or even staying where you once were is real. It just helps sometimes when I say to myself, "OK yeah, I WAS able to pay all the bills this month, I DO have a roof over my head/heat/water, I DO have enough to eat..., I DO have a car that runs...."
This is a very wise posting. I have never been in a position where I have had to worry about car payments--why would anyone do that? I have always paid cash for cars, and I have always remembered what it meant to be a server while an undergraduate. You should get scholarships, and/or you should pay your own way. Ever since I have lived in the mid-Atlantic, I have encountered a sense of entitlement that doesn't seem to go away. I only buy what I can carry, and I think that is a pretty good philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey