Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times

Advertisements

Meh - they get a fair compensation package already. I'll stop comparing their work to the private sector as soon as I stop hearing complaints about how hard they have it and how they have to take work home with them. Boo freaking hoo...some days they have to stay till 5pm....oh cry me a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
On one hand, I hear the private section is what we should be emulating for everyone because it's "fair" (which makes me LOLOLOLOLOL).
The issue is not whether it's "fair". There wouldn't be any issue if it weren't for high property taxes. The issue is whether or not the tax payer is willing and able to pay for this.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Meh - they get a fair compensation package already. I'll stop comparing their work to the private sector as soon as I stop hearing complaints about how hard they have it and how they have to take work home with them. Boo freaking hoo...some days they have to stay till 5pm....oh cry me a river.
they are only "complaining" because people on this board incessantly whine about how "easy" they have it. i know of no teachers IRL who complain about their work.

what you call whining I call defending, LOL.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
The issue is not whether it's "fair". There wouldn't be any issue if it weren't for high property taxes. The issue is whether or not the tax payer is willing and able to pay for this.
80% of tax payers aren't "willing" to cough up one red cent - they'd screw every public employee 7 ways till sunday if they could. makes me sick, quite frankly!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times
"The problem is these fatcat, lazy teachers. They work 100 days a year, but get paid for 365 days a year. Most of them are sucking down a $100K+ salary, plus CADILLAC benefits, the best health, dental, vision, life insurances plus 401k match to 10% PLUS free breakfast and lunch! Then after they work for 15 years they have the option to retire with a $100K pension, but few do, because if they work another 5 years they can retire with a $200K/yr pension (PLUS cadillac benefits for life). then after they "retire" they go back and work another five years as an overpaid "consultant" for $300k+."

Seriously, did you make those facts up? They are so far from the truth I don't know where to start. Teachers make an average of 45K. They can spread it over 10 or 12 months. When did that become a cadilac salary? EVERY teacher I know finds summer employment to get by. The few that don't rely on the salary of a spouse.
'Then after they work for 15 years they have the option to retire with a $100K pension, but few do, because if they work another 5 years they can retire with a $200K/yr pension (PLUS cadillac benefits for life" Not true at all?

And where did you ever get this one?
"I forgot to mention that the day a teacher is hired his job is guaranteed by the union, and he can't be laid off or fired no matter how bad a teacher he is or what he does wrong'
A teacher does not get tenure until 3 years + 1 day after they are hired. They can be let go at any time..even tenured teachers.

Listen, if you want to make points, take the time, do your homework and argue responsibly and with facts. Not something you heard on New jersey 101.5 or Shawn Hannity

Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
"The problem is these fatcat, lazy teachers. They work 100 days a year, but get paid for 365 days a year. Most of them are sucking down a $100K+ salary, plus CADILLAC benefits, the best health, dental, vision, life insurances plus 401k match to 10% PLUS free breakfast and lunch! Then after they work for 15 years they have the option to retire with a $100K pension, but few do, because if they work another 5 years they can retire with a $200K/yr pension (PLUS cadillac benefits for life). then after they "retire" they go back and work another five years as an overpaid "consultant" for $300k+."

Seriously, did you make those facts up? They are so far from the truth I don't know where to start. Teachers make an average of 45K. They can spread it over 10 or 12 months. When did that become a cadilac salary? EVERY teacher I know finds summer employment to get by. The few that don't rely on the salary of a spouse.
'Then after they work for 15 years they have the option to retire with a $100K pension, but few do, because if they work another 5 years they can retire with a $200K/yr pension (PLUS cadillac benefits for life" Not true at all?

And where did you ever get this one?
"I forgot to mention that the day a teacher is hired his job is guaranteed by the union, and he can't be laid off or fired no matter how bad a teacher he is or what he does wrong'
A teacher does not get tenure until 3 years + 1 day after they are hired. They can be let go at any time..even tenured teachers.

Listen, if you want to make points, take the time, do your homework and argue responsibly and with facts. Not something you heard on New jersey 101.5 or Shawn Hannity
uh, grays? he's being facetious

Old 05-07-2010, 01:07 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times
Oh. My apologies, then! You might be suprised on how many people really do think that way!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 PM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
[quote=gcctrumpeter;14054802]lkb0714 - you're right. I am a teacher, and I:

* Teach 180 days a year
* Attend 8-10 days of workshops a year
* Don't get paid for any holidays
* Go to school @7:45 (school starts @8:40), and stay most days until 4:30
* Take my paperwork and grading HOME to work on afterwards (for no pay)

Oh Please....everyone is well aware of the lies teachers are putting out:

*180 days is the number of days a teacher is supposed to show up for work BUT teachers get sick days, personal leave day, snow days, some get illness in the family days, emergency days etc So...in FACT teachers actually come to work about 160 times per year. Not a bad part time job! I wish I got 205 days off per year!

*the 8 to 10 workshops days are on School District time!

*You want to get paid extra for any of the 205 days off per year you get?

* High School teachers actually teach for about 3:40 per day So...they get 4:20 per day to take care of paperwork, grading papers , lunch and personal business. If you need more that 4:20 to get things done or actually take work home........there's something wrong with you!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
The way all these things are being played out in NJ... It makes me glad I am renting and even more glad that I never made the jump to home ownership in NJ.

Sorry I know I'm not contributing anything positive...just observation from third party perspective who doesn't have too much riding on it for short term...

Old 05-08-2010, 05:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
80% of tax payers aren't "willing" to cough up one red cent - they'd screw every public employee 7 ways till sunday if they could. makes me sick, quite frankly!
By "willing", I mean prepared to accept additional taxation in return for additional spending. Of course everyone would like high spending and no taxes.

I don't think it's true (actually I think it's laughably false) that NJ has a particularly low tolerance for taxation, because the voters consistently accept high levels of taxation in return for high levels of spending. However, it appears that even the tolerance of the NJ voter has been exceeded and the pendulum is swinging the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey