Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,826 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a small or large city in PA that is an easy commute to Mahway NJ.

I am going to move from Ohio and will be purchsing a house but I wish to live in PA, 2nd pick would be NY and last would be NJ.

Please advise.

Thank you

Holtlb13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtlb13 View Post
Does anyone know of a small or large city in PA that is an easy commute to Mahway NJ.

I am going to move from Ohio and will be purchsing a house but I wish to live in PA, 2nd pick would be NY and last would be NJ.

Please advise.

Thank you

Holtlb13
I'm not certain if you mean Rahway or Mahwah, but in either case they are in North Jersey. You might want to post on the main NJ board.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM

119 posts, read 384,743 times
Both Mahway and Rahway would be VERY tough commutes from PA. Mahwah is on the border of NY state in Bergen County. The lack of a major highway running directly west from there makes it at least an hour and a half to any part of the PA border. East Stroudsburg, PA is the closest "small city" that you could get to, and that's going to be an hour and 40 min at best. That's assuming you don't hit any I-80 traffic, and you will.

Rahway would be even worse. You would be messing with I-80 and Route 24 commuting in the same direction as a million other people every morning.

As for NY being your second option. Mahwah is a stone's throw from the border. I would need to know a lot more about what your price range is for a house but some towns right over the border in NY include: Suffern, Airmont, Montebello, Monsey, and Spring Valley (just generally look in Rockland County).

Rahway is a little more interesting. I would forget about looking anywhere outside of the 5 boroughs (NYC) if you wanted to live in NY and work in Rahway. The commute from north to south is going to run you too long. I did northern Bergen County to Staten Island for a year and it takes over an hour and a half in one direction. It's not worth it. Instead look at Staten Island and south Brooklyn.

3rd and finally: Although it is your last choice NJ will obviously be the easiest state to live in while working in either town. There are a slew of great towns around Mahwah, including Mahwah itself. I grew up in the area so if you have questions let me know.

Last edited by Jfoldno7; 05-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
As mentioned above, PA to Mahwah, NJ is a LOT of driving every day. No matter how much you like driving, it's not any picnic spending 4 hours a day, 2 each way on any road if you don't have to. NY state near there is suburban to rural and I would look there first unless you have some masochistic reason to spend 3 to 4 hrs each day driving to/from work.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM

Here's an example, Mahwah NJ to Stroudsburg PA, 1 hr 29 min, 77 miles each way and that's assuming no traffic, as in outside of rush hour. Then what do you do if it snows, etc?

Stroudsburg, PA to Mahwah - Google Maps

Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Here's another example Mahwah NJ to/from Milford, PA, still much interstate driving, 1 hr 5 mins each way (on a good day)
Milford, PA to Mahwah - Google Maps

Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Why not just live in NJ, there are plenty of cheap towns. Mahwah is pretty cheap in terms of taxes.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
or find a small town over the NJ border in NY State but noway PA!!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtlb13 View Post

Please advise.

Thank you

Holtlb13
I'm guessing you mean Mahwah? PA would be a haul. At least an hour, likely more, on heavily-traveled Interstates that jam up regularly, especially in summer.

Mahwah borders Rockland County, New York, so that would be a really easy commute. You could live in Suffern, New York and be just the next town over.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Why is NJ your last choice?

Why is PA your first choice?

If we knew the reasons why you have such (slightly odd at first glance) preferences as to where you'd like to live, we could offer better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey