U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

5,227 posts, read 8,402,031 times
well bragging I was just stating that you really dont need to be smart to get into Seton Hall the two major things that will get you accepted are money or you want to be in the priesthood. One of those two things will get you in. The school was a good school, I had alot of great teachers, however as far as being stoned, and bragging that is really not the case with me. I went on too more powerful drugs and then managed a good social work job for the state of NJ!!! Most of the Social Workers I worked with also had some substance issues, it was a real mess back then!! However I have been sober for over 14 years now and that is worth bragging about!!!

As far as money when I went to Seton Hall it was expensive! That was in the late 1980's. I cant imagine what it is now!! It was alot back then. To be honest it was not worth the high ticket in price unless you were going to Law school or becoming a priest!!! Really its just not worth the HIGH price , the teachers were good but there are alot of good teachers in cheaper schools. It has the name and that is about it.

You may get into Seton Hall Law School easier by attending Seton Hall and they have a great seminary school thats it folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM

5,227 posts, read 8,402,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Geez, nice to hear that you guys graduated and were always stoned? our daughter graduated from there. and believe me it was a struggle money wise to keep here there....We were not wealthy but not
"poor enough" for a free ride....Why would you brag about being stoned and getting through college?
I wish I had the chance to have gone to college, but since both my parents died before I was 16, that
wasn't possible.....shame on you.
What is your daughter doing now?? Look I am not knocking Seton Hall its really what you want after college that makes you. I was never too ambitious, I was what you would call a smart loser! So for me it was a big waste. I really did not know what I wanted to do at 21 and still dont know at 44~!!!

I know plumbers who are doing better than MBA's. I know drop outs doing better than alot of college graduate. I dont thinks its the school , I think its the student. If you want something bad enough and are ambitious you will do well in any school or goal. So does Seton Hall make the career, no, the person makes the career~!!!!! Could it be at Seton Hall, yes it could!!!! Could it be at Bergen Community College, yes it could. COuld it be in your own business dropping out of high school, yes it could. Who knows, its the student not the school. So was it worth it for me, NO, but no school would have been worth it for me at age 21!!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 05-10-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM

5 posts, read 13,267 times
Nicely put steve. I have a question though. If I take summer classes in 2011 which ends somewhere around mid august, will I be able to catch Seton Hall's Fall 11 semester? What would be my deadline to submit the transcripts for those classes?

Plus, I realised SHU is very expensive being a tier 3 university. Could you give me names of some simililar ranked universities that I could try for?

Thanks again for responding.

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:23 AM

170 posts, read 243,167 times
Similiar to SHU, probably, Drew, Montclair St. (public a lot cheaper), Ramapo(public), Fairleigh Dickinson U, Rutgers(public), Kean, Rider, Stockton, NJIT(public), Hofstra, ...etc but like Steve Morse said it does'nt matter what school you go to, it matters how ambitious and motivated you are to succeed. From my preference Rutgers is really good the main campus New Brunswick, very diverse and its public and has to same kind of rep as SHU.

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:25 AM

10,040 posts, read 13,598,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triarii View Post
Nicely put steve. I have a question though. If I take summer classes in 2011 which ends somewhere around mid august, will I be able to catch Seton Hall's Fall 11 semester? What would be my deadline to submit the transcripts for those classes?

Plus, I realised SHU is very expensive being a tier 3 university. Could you give me names of some simililar ranked universities that I could try for?

Thanks again for responding.
There are many...generally once you get out of the North east area college tuition drops...still expensive but not like here
San Diego State..West Virginia Univ..Kansas State....Kent State

Look through this link ..it has the tier 3 schools with costs

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM

467 posts, read 913,007 times
Well Steve I guess you told me, LOL....Good for you to turn your life around....and I do agree a school
does not make a person...It's what you put into it as a student....If you want to learn, you can...and
yes it is one of the most expensive schools in N.J...and that doesn't mean it's the best....but it was
where she wanted to go....and being our ONLY daughter we sacrificed for her....Today she's still with
the same company she interviewed for after graduation, married and mom of two beautiful little boys.
we are very proud of the woman she has become....good luck to you....glad you are doing well.

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM

1,933 posts, read 943,165 times
You can go to college even now if you really want to, Delray Patty! I didn't finish college the first time around (I was so shy, and not motivated enough) but went back to school at Montclair State and finished! I had a great time. "Older" students tend to do very well academically because they are so motivated. I went not to get a better job but to LEARN, and I'm so glad I did.

Quote:
Geez, nice to hear that you guys graduated and were always stoned? our daughter graduated from there. and believe me it was a struggle money wise to keep here there....We were not wealthy but not
"poor enough" for a free ride....Why would you brag about being stoned and getting through college?
I wish I had the chance to have gone to college, but since both my parents died before I was 16, that
wasn't possible.....shame on you.

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM

4,086 posts, read 4,507,191 times
California state schools charge no tuition to residents, and it takes 2 years of livin there to get resdiency,, but I don't know if that applies for people from other countries. Still, I'm pretty sure that even with being from out of the country and paying tuition the California schools would be cheaper and a better value for the money.

Why not consider Rutgers? It's cheaper than Seton Hall and better (not to knock Seton Hall, it's a great school, but RU is actually better).

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 05-11-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Unread 05-12-2010, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 13,267 times
Thanks you guys for your responses. The people here have provided me with some much needed encouragement and information. It is helping me a lot and I wish to thank you all for your efforts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
Similiar to SHU, probably, Drew, Montclair St. (public a lot cheaper), Ramapo(public), Fairleigh Dickinson U, Rutgers(public), Kean, Rider, Stockton, NJIT(public), Hofstra, ...etc but like Steve Morse said it does'nt matter what school you go to, it matters how ambitious and motivated you are to succeed. From my preference Rutgers is really good the main campus New Brunswick, very diverse and its public and has to same kind of rep as SHU.
I couldn't agree more with you guys. Desire to learn has to come from within and if you have that, success is just a matter of time. I have been barely tolerating this BBA for more than three years and I hate it. I had two IR courses and I got A;s in both. I just can't wait to go there and study more on this field. I will look into your list subban. But I think Rutgers is a little hard to get in for my cgpa? I checked Hofstra before and it does not have an IR program. Not all colleges offer that. So, my choices are a bit narrow. I have Kean in my list though. Thanks for your suggestions mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There are many...generally once you get out of the North east area college tuition drops...still expensive but not like here
San Diego State..West Virginia Univ..Kansas State....Kent State

Look through this link ..it has the tier 3 schools with costs

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report
The list will be very handy for me. Thanks so much for that kate! I think you have a valid point here. However, my girlfriend is in Virginia and she does not want me to go too far. But I will definitly look into your list. There are some good choices for me. I have West Virginia and Kent State in my list. But at the end of the day, I'm always haunted by the thought that I might not get accepted into any of em thanks to my dismal cgpa. What do you think about Eastern Illinois University? How about the SUNY colleges? Can I reach em?

Quote:
Well Steve I guess you told me, LOL....Good for you to turn your life around....and I do agree a school
does not make a person...It's what you put into it as a student....If you want to learn, you can...and
yes it is one of the most expensive schools in N.J...and that doesn't mean it's the best....but it was
where she wanted to go....and being our ONLY daughter we sacrificed for her....Today she's still with
the same company she interviewed for after graduation, married and mom of two beautiful little boys.
we are very proud of the woman she has become....good luck to you....glad you are doing well.
I'm happy to hear that Patty. I wish good luck and happiness to your beloved daughter. You must be very proud to have a daughter like her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
California state schools charge no tuition to residents, and it takes 2 years of livin there to get resdiency,, but I don't know if that applies for people from other countries. Still, I'm pretty sure that even with being from out of the country and paying tuition the California schools would be cheaper and a better value for the money.

Why not consider Rutgers? It's cheaper than Seton Hall and better (not to knock Seton Hall, it's a great school, but RU is actually better).
That's a really good suggestion Johnny. But I think California State is out of my reach? (hint, my subpar cgpa). Like I said, I have this feeling that Rutgers might be out of my reach. I would like to consider that if I had a chance of getting in. Any ideas?

I have one very important question. Please help me out with this one. I will be receiving my degree/final transcripts in August. Will I be able to start classes from September if I submit that in August?

Thanks again guys for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey