Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
CARY - Collection Area for Relocated Yankees!

I don't understand why he might be so miserable..unless his kids are still in NJ. That can make a big difference in your state of mind. So many people in that area as well as mine are from NY/NJ.

My new neighbor is from Long Guyland!
He has 1 daughter who lives in Charlotte NC the other two & the grand kids are up here.

He misses his friends and a " local pub" where he can have a beer and shoot some pool..he claims nothing but chains.....like Applebee's or something like that...no local hang out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 AM

9,331 posts, read 20,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
He has 1 daughter who lives in Charlotte NC the other two & the grand kids are up here.

He misses his friends and a " local pub" where he can have a beer and shoot some pool..he claims nothing but chains.....like Applebee's or something like that...no local hang out...
Nothing that substitutes for that NJ grittiness, huh! The closest he is going to come to harmonious bonding is waiting with a buzzer in an asphalt jungle with 30 others waiting the 60+ minutes to get seated at the Olive Garden! Where they will chatter on endlessly about whether the Toro or the Troy Bilt lawnmower has the best height adjustment lever, then after a satisfying microwave toasted ravioli dish with the house chianti, will repair to something like Cold Stone creamery for a fulfilling dessert, while strategizing which aisles to hit in succession at the Home Depot the following Saturday morning.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Nothing that substitutes for that NJ grittiness, huh! The closest he is going to come to harmonious bonding is waiting with a buzzer in an asphalt jungle with 30 others waiting the 60+ minutes to get seated at the Olive Garden! Where they will chatter on endlessly about whether the Toro or the Troy Bilt lawnmower has the best height adjustment lever, then after a satisfying microwave toasted ravioli dish with the house chianti, will repair to something like Cold Stone creamery for a fulfilling dessert, while strategizing which aisles to hit in succession at the Home Depot the following Saturday morning.
Hey! Were you listening in on my phone calls this morning? You just disclosed my entire plan for the weekend!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
LOL....yeah that NJ/NY local neighborhood pub scene with the exception of Boston & Philly I've not see anywhere else

Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,439,660 times
Quote:
mike - You're scaring me! Three weeks ago, I bought a Toro mower (after checking Consumer Reports) and went to Applebee's Saturday night after getting gift cards from friends in Sun City for fixing their computers. BTW, with the Toro, you have to adjust each wheel as opposed to my old non-functioning Scotts- an OEM John Deere (which had a single lever to change the height of all wheels simultaneously).

mike - You wouldn't be the secret twin of Patrick James on CBS's "The Mentalist", would you?

If the OP ever comes back, I'd add Totowa Boro and Elmwood Park to the list of towns to consider.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Quote:
nothing that substitutes for that nj grittiness, huh! The closest he is going to come to harmonious bonding is waiting with a buzzer in an asphalt jungle with 30 others waiting the 60+ minutes to get seated at the olive garden! Where they will chatter on endlessly about whether the toro or the troy bilt lawnmower has the best height adjustment lever, then after a satisfying microwave toasted ravioli dish with the house chianti, will repair to something like cold stone creamery for a fulfilling dessert, while strategizing which aisles to hit in succession at the home depot the following saturday morning.
lmao

Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,439,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
lmao
It gets worse! The Cold Stone Creamery is about 1000 ft away from the Applebee's!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM

259 posts, read 922,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
Does anyone know why housing that is affordable by everyday folk is in the ghetto? When I mean affordable, I am not saying a 500K home. I feel like there are no affordable areas of NJ outside of several rapidly worsening urban centers.

I don't know...maybe because no one wants to live in the ghetto.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM

87,990 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
I don't know...maybe because no one wants to live in the ghetto.
LOL, but I know what the OP is saying. There is not much out there for the regular person with a decent job but one income in a place within commuting distance of Manhattan. I found a small condo in a nice area after much looking, but I have no idea if it would be a good place for people with kids, school-wise. I don't care and didn't look into the schools, since my only kid is already in college. And I will only have two bedrooms and one bath, which is fine for me but not for most people.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
I think part of the problem is thinking that anyone who has a job should be able to afford to buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey