U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
 
205 posts, read 584,042 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

Hi all. Been awhile since I posted but we are still poised to be moving from Atlanta to Bergen county this Summer. My husband's office will be in Saddle River.

I am going up in about a week and a half to check out areas. From talking to realtors and doing online research, the following are towns are at the top of my list.

Allendale
Ho-Ho-Kus
Glen Rock
Wyckoff
Ramsey
Ridgewood
Park Ridge

I'd really appreciate it if people would share their knowledge, experience or impression (both positive and negative) of any of these towns and their schools. I will have an incoming first grader and incoming kindergartner.

Also, has anyone ever stayed at the Residence Inn in Saddle River? Would like to hear impressions of that hotel as my family may be staying there short term until we find a home.

Thank you so much! I really want to make this relocation a positive move for my two little girls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM
 
3,920 posts, read 8,443,546 times
Reputation: 3087
They are all quite similar to one another. Ridgewood has a big main street, but other then that, the towns are very similar to one another. they are all basically the same thing other then that... Just a matter of personal preference. No bad choice among the group
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
 
205 posts, read 584,042 times
Reputation: 67
Thank you. It is good to know that they all are great towns... are they all really that much alike, except for Ridgewood having a bigger downtown?

Last edited by Lilycharm; 05-19-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, CA
131 posts, read 342,261 times
Reputation: 57
Depends really on what you're looking for. Of those towns, you'll probably find Park Ridge to be the "lowest rent" even though it still is a great town. I spent the first 15 years of my life in that town right near the Montvale border. Low crime, and homes generally not too over the top in price, but the school district isn't as good as Pascack Valley's (Rivervale and Hillsdale), or Pascack Hills (Montvale and Woodcliff Lake).

Glen Rock faced a HUGE surge in snob appeal in the late 90s, mostly due to it's proximity to Ridgewood. Ridgewood is an actual "village" with a real town center, shops, and a major train station... this also leads to a TON of rush hour traffic. Ridgewood also has nearly all of it's streets at a 25 mph posted limit... a bit of a pain when you want to get through the town in a bit of a hurry. The local police are strict on this too.

Ramsey and Wyckoff are somewhat similar to Park Ridge, but maybe a bit higher in home prices and/or rents. Allendale and Ho-Ho-Kus are your wealthiest towns on the list... by far. Allendale is a very expensive, but great place to live, as is Ho-Ho-Kus.

Your bottom line will be that all towns are generally a great place to live. If you could afford it, I would personally pick Ho-Ho-Kus... I love those homes on Werimus Road with the slate roofs. I grew up in the area, and still visit it frequently because my sister and my brother both live there. If you have any questions, p.m. me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
 
205 posts, read 584,042 times
Reputation: 67
Thank you, gisela... THAT was some great info! Gave you a big +1 for the help!

If I have any specific questions, glad you are open to PMs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 2,230,179 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekygisela View Post
Depends really on what you're looking for. Of those towns, you'll probably find Park Ridge to be the "lowest rent" even though it still is a great town. I spent the first 15 years of my life in that town right near the Montvale border. Low crime, and homes generally not too over the top in price, but the school district isn't as good as Pascack Valley's (Rivervale and Hillsdale), or Pascack Hills (Montvale and Woodcliff Lake).

Glen Rock faced a HUGE surge in snob appeal in the late 90s, mostly due to it's proximity to Ridgewood. Ridgewood is an actual "village" with a real town center, shops, and a major train station... this also leads to a TON of rush hour traffic. Ridgewood also has nearly all of it's streets at a 25 mph posted limit... a bit of a pain when you want to get through the town in a bit of a hurry. The local police are strict on this too.

Ramsey and Wyckoff are somewhat similar to Park Ridge, but maybe a bit higher in home prices and/or rents. Allendale and Ho-Ho-Kus are your wealthiest towns on the list... by far. Allendale is a very expensive, but great place to live, as is Ho-Ho-Kus.

Your bottom line will be that all towns are generally a great place to live. If you could afford it, I would personally pick Ho-Ho-Kus... I love those homes on Werimus Road with the slate roofs. I grew up in the area, and still visit it frequently because my sister and my brother both live there. If you have any questions, p.m. me.


A few thoughts...

Spot on on Glen Rock, but it's still less snobby than Ridgewood and more affordable. I'd say Wyckoff is pretty darn close to Ridgewood in the prestige factor though. Definitely fancier than Ramsey. Ho-Ho-Kus is probably the fanciest town on the list. Allendale is in the Ridgewood/Wyckoff category. Ramsey and Park Ridge are probably the least affluent/most affordable of the town mentioned.

But you know what, OP, that's like getting a bunch of MENSA members in a room and calling the guy with the 170 IQ a "dummy". Throw a dart. They're all fantastic towns. IF you can afford them, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,641 posts, read 4,868,548 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
But you know what, OP, that's like getting a bunch of MENSA members in a room and calling the guy with the 170 IQ a "dummy". Throw a dart. They're all fantastic towns. IF you can afford them, that is.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
478 posts, read 1,452,686 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycharm View Post
Hi all. Been awhile since I posted but we are still poised to be moving from Atlanta to Bergen county this Summer. My husband's office will be in Saddle River.

I am going up in about a week and a half to check out areas. From talking to realtors and doing online research, the following are towns are at the top of my list.

Allendale
Ho-Ho-Kus
Glen Rock
Wyckoff
Ramsey
Ridgewood
Park Ridge

I'd really appreciate it if people would share their knowledge, experience or impression (both positive and negative) of any of these towns and their schools. I will have an incoming first grader and incoming kindergartner.

Also, has anyone ever stayed at the Residence Inn in Saddle River? Would like to hear impressions of that hotel as my family may be staying there short term until we find a home.

Thank you so much! I really want to make this relocation a positive move for my two little girls!
I really have the slightest idea on any of them since I never been in any of them..But from a postal view (which I did deal with all their mail in the past) only Park Ridge had the command of attention in the postal service..all the rest are like secondary towns.

Just to say it was a sectional center where I handle their mail..thats where its starts and goes to the little postal offices.

Since I'm wide awake here at 1:30 am est..figure I say a story of my past in the postal service ( was called the post office in my times..Pony Express).
Anyway my first week on the job as a rookie I was assigned to rewrap..thats the area where you tape up parcels that happen to be damage.
Well I got use to it after a week..but one nite (worked the 10:30pm-7am tour) a box was torn and dirt was coming out..read the zip code ( thats what we go by) but also notice it said on the label..its the remains of Mr..etc...told my supervisor about this leaking of the package and the guy in the package is falling apart..he told me send it to rewrap..I said I'am rewrap what should I do....he said sweep it up as best as possible and tape it. I did what I was told..but next week a box of bee's was coming down the conveyor ( for rewrap)..thinking is it worth it to work here. Back then it was $8.47 per hour..not bad in those years plus I just was release from the army (Nam 2 tours)..was lucky to get it.

Last edited by carlo2009; 05-20-2010 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 PM
 
39 posts, read 154,265 times
Reputation: 23
Stay away from Glen Rock. It has the highest taxes of the bunch & the people who live there are a pretty nasty. I drive through there all the time & there are many homes for sale there. Nobody is buying them.

All the other towns are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM
 
47,239 posts, read 47,228,496 times
Reputation: 52655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelland View Post
Stay away from Glen Rock. It has the highest taxes of the bunch & the people who live there are a pretty nasty. I drive through there all the time & there are many homes for sale there. Nobody is buying them.

All the other towns are fine.
I agree with you and disagree with the person who said Glen Rock has less of a snob factor than Ridgewood. I think it's much worse. This is, of course, only my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top