Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

So I am seriously considering purchasing a home in Beachwood. I want to know what the differances price wise people pay for their utilities be it Natural gas, Oil, or Electric. I'm primarily looking at 1200sqft homes for under 200,000. A good portion of these homes are either Oil or Electric heat. Can anyone give me an idea of what their utility bills would look like? I am hoping to compare the cost of these three.

My second question. I see when I drive down rt 9. Not fair past Beachwood there is a huge boarded up very ugly falling apart shopping center. Whats going on with that? It seems to me a prime location for a grocery store or Target or something. That and it's obviously a big part of the reason why the real estate prices seem to be lower lets face it. It's really hideous.

Anyone know if their are plans for that property? or why it just seems to sit?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Your utilities are going to depend on whether the insulation, windows, etc., have been upgraded or not, and also on the age/condition of the heating system. We had a 50 y/o, 1,000 sf house in central NJ that was running around $350/month to heat in the winter. We replaced all the windows, added 1/2" insulation under the siding, and added insulation in the attic, and that bill fell to under $300/month. A few years later we changed out the original oil-fired boiler for a new oil-fired boiler, and we were down to almost $200/month. All of those figures are based on relatively stable oil costs during that time frame.

Generally speaking, gas and oil are a toss-up in most years, with gas slightly higher some years, and oil higher in others. Electric will easily be 50% more than either.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecattlemutt View Post
My second question. I see when I drive down rt 9. Not fair past Beachwood there is a huge boarded up very ugly falling apart shopping center. Whats going on with that? It seems to me a prime location for a grocery store or Target or something. That and it's obviously a big part of the reason why the real estate prices seem to be lower lets face it. It's really hideous.
That shopping center is actually in Berkeley Township (which is the "official" name of Bayville). It used to be a nice shopping plaza, but they lost the anchor store and then everything else went with it. Berkeley is in the process of getting all the permits to do a lot of redevelopment along the Rt. 9 corridor and much of it centers around doing anything to get rid of that building or redeveloping it.

So, while it may take a bit of time, the town is aware of it and they're actively trying to do something about it. I agree a nice grocery store would be a good thing.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
That shopping center is actually in Berkeley Township (which is the "official" name of Bayville). It used to be a nice shopping plaza, but they lost the anchor store and then everything else went with it. Berkeley is in the process of getting all the permits to do a lot of redevelopment along the Rt. 9 corridor and much of it centers around doing anything to get rid of that building or redeveloping it.

So, while it may take a bit of time, the town is aware of it and they're actively trying to do something about it. I agree a nice grocery store would be a good thing.
Is this the Beachwood Plaza site? (where the wicker store on the corner is located?)

Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Here's a link to information on the redevelopment: Berkeley/Beachwood Border Development Plan Public Hearing Thursday « Beachwood Historical Alliance

Does anyone know, if the site has been cleaned up?

Also: contamination of the Beachwood Plaza site from: http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/bayville-nj/TT8I37IJV7K8BPF3C: (broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/contaminatedberk (broken link)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey