Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 AM

132 posts, read 631,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
What is your budget? Impossible to answer without that info.
Depending on Mr.Birdy's position in the firm, the relocation package for monthly rental stipend can range from $2,500-$6,000.

Birdy_uk, tell your hubby to inquire with peeps at work who have done relocation before, or better yet, check with his colleagues from the U.S. branch for suggestions. That is unless the relocation resulted from a new job offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,101 times
Edison New Jersey here. You may not be getting many responses because requests for a "white family area" won't go over well in this part of the world. We're generally proud of the large mix of people in the area-that's what makes it an exciting place to live. Keeping in mind that it's even illegal to ask for a "white area", I'll try to give you an honest answer since I assume you're a bit scared about moving so far from home. I assume you mean a predominantly British-heritage area. You won't find many/any in New Jersey within commuting distance of NYC. At least I don't know of any after 25 years here. Speaking very generally, New Jersey is largely a more recent immigrant area; think Polish, Jewish, Italian, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese. For what it's worth, people get along well, and the newest immigrants seem to be keeping the quality of our schools and towns very high. It is possible to commute all the way to central Jersey, around the Princeton area, which may be more what you're looking for, but the commute alone gets expensive. Check out "Hamilton Township" and surrounding areas. New York State, north of NYC, is Westchester County-extremely expensive. I don't know much about it, other than, I repeat, it is extremely expensive. Think estates with gates. You could go all the way to the Carmel, New York area-very pretty, but I don't know much about it or if the trains go there from NYC. The only thing I can suggest is that you check out some areas in Connecticut. I used to live there and, many years ago, it was very "British". The nicest areas are expensive-a million dollar house would be normal. Check out New Canaan, Norwalk, Darien, Wilton, Westport, North Stamford. Most of the people there commute to NYC every day although it does make for a long day. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM

127 posts, read 544,437 times
Look into Chatham, Mendham, Bernardsville, or Basking Ridge.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
What is your budget? Impossible to answer without that info.
x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey