Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 14,880 times

Advertisements

I moved from Long Island to New Jersey. My taxes on Long Island (Nassau County) were $12,000 for a 4 BR, bi level ranch. My taxes in Central Jersey (which is an hour away from Greenwich Street) on the same sized property are now $6,000. From $12,000 to $6,000 for the same commute (actually it's faster from NJ then it was from LI) and the same amount of house and land- you can't beat it! People that live in NJ complain their taxes are high, but that's just because they didn't move from LI. If you stick to Monmouth and Middlesex Counties you are golden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Default LI Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2022 View Post
I moved from Long Island to New Jersey. My taxes on Long Island (Nassau County) were $12,000 for a 4 BR, bi level ranch. My taxes in Central Jersey (which is an hour away from Greenwich Street) on the same sized property are now $6,000. From $12,000 to $6,000 for the same commute (actually it's faster from NJ then it was from LI) and the same amount of house and land- you can't beat it! People that live in NJ complain their taxes are high, but that's just because they didn't move from LI. If you stick to Monmouth and Middlesex Counties you are golden.
Yep - LI taxes are ridiculous! Which is why I recommended the border but on the Queens side. Bellerose, Floral Park taxes are Approximately in the $3,000 range.

Bellerose, Queens has been described as an "ideal blend of suburb and city," a family-centered neighborhood that's an easy commute to Manhattan.

Here's the big, big attraction of living in eastern Queens over Nassau:

The houses have generous backyards, the streets are quiet and the public schools come with good reputations.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 131,054 times
Thank you all for taking the time to respond..much appreciated. This gives me some guidance to start my own research.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM

132 posts, read 631,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Yep - LI taxes are ridiculous! Which is why I recommended the border but on the Queens side. Bellerose, Floral Park taxes are Approximately in the $3,000 range.

Bellerose, Queens has been described as an "ideal blend of suburb and city," a family-centered neighborhood that's an easy commute to Manhattan.

Here's the big, big attraction of living in eastern Queens over Nassau:

The houses have generous backyards, the streets are quiet and the public schools come with good reputations.
If I remember correctly, I don't think Bellerose and Floral Park are very ideal. Their prices are lower for a reason.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2022 View Post
What town in Long Island, and what town in NJ?

A town in NJ when compared to an equally desirable town on LI will likely have similar taxes.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,283 times
NJ is so much better then Long Island.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Once again. It all depends what town you are comparing what town to what town.

Towns like Syosset, NY is pretty comparable to towns like Wayne, NJ in my opinion and you will see similar tax rates. Both towns have good school districts, suburb lifestyle, similar ethnic makeup, and both towns are about same distance to NYC by mass transportation or by car.

I can find 4BR house, 1 hour commute to NYC with 6k tax or less in Long Island in towns like Wyandanch or Brentwood, NY (ghetto towns of LI). That does not mean I can compare those locations to say Morristown, NJ or Leonia, NJ and yell out look how cheap it is in LI...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
If I remember correctly, I don't think Bellerose and Floral Park are very ideal. Their prices are lower for a reason.
Wrong! We have next to no crime. We have always felt comfortable walking around at all hours of day or night. The School District 26 is the best in NYC with Magnet and Honors programs. Parents are very involved in their children. Don't get me wrong, house prices are comparable at an average of $400k (with even some million dollar homes sprouting up). But Property Taxes are extremely low. Commute into the city is super easy via LIRR. So I don't know where you got your information from - but it's 100% false.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 AM

201 posts, read 619,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Once again. It all depends what town you are comparing what town to what town.

Towns like Syosset, NY is pretty comparable to towns like Wayne, NJ in my opinion and you will see similar tax rates. Both towns have good school districts, suburb lifestyle, similar ethnic makeup, and both towns are about same distance to NYC by mass transportation or by car.

I can find 4BR house, 1 hour commute to NYC with 6k tax or less in Long Island in towns like Wyandanch or Brentwood, NY (ghetto towns of LI). That does not mean I can compare those locations to say Morristown, NJ or Leonia, NJ and yell out look how cheap it is in LI...
You can't compare Syosset to Wayne. Syosset is more comparable to Tenafly, Bedminster or Basking Ridge. Its a much much higher income area than wayne. And Wayne seems to flood a lot. I would never buy a house in that town.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Would you consider Staten Island? Your commute could be better, your taxes would be lower and if you don't want the NYC public schools the tax offset could help you afford private or parochial school. I can't recommend a neighborhood on Staten Island but maybe someone on the NYC board can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey