Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,976 times

Advertisements

Hi,

A move to either nyc or nj is a must for us so ive decided that we'll move to nj since the cost of rent will be a bit cheaper. my son will need to be accessible to manhattan 3 to 4 times a week.

Where would be a nice SAFE place for a 26 yr old African American single mother and her young toddler to move to in the NJ area that is closest to NYC?

I have been told that Jersey City is a good place but where in Jersey City would it be good to move??

We will sometimes be coming back late (7 or 8pm) from NYC so safe night travel has to play a part as well.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:39 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
You need to tell us what your max rental costs are, 1Br, 2BR, etc, and if you have a car. You emphasized safe so I will tell you only on the Jersey City waterfront, Hoboken, Weehawken (along Blvd E. and River Rd), West New York (along Blvd E and River Rd) and Edgewater.

The cheapest best I would say is in Weehawken...you can get nice 1BR apartments along Blvd E. in Weehawken for $1100-$1300 with easy bus access to the Port Authority. The buses run a lot in this area and it takes only 10-15 min to get in the city depending how far up or down you are on Blvd E.

Good luck

Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaesmommy View Post
Hi,

A move to either nyc or nj is a must for us so ive decided that we'll move to nj since the cost of rent will be a bit cheaper. my son will need to be accessible to manhattan 3 to 4 times a week.

Where would be a nice SAFE place for a 26 yr old African American single mother and her young toddler to move to in the NJ area that is closest to NYC?

I have been told that Jersey City is a good place but where in Jersey City would it be good to move??

We will sometimes be coming back late (7 or 8pm) from NYC so safe night travel has to play a part as well.

thanks!

Like the mgt04 said we would need to know what your price range is to know exactly where to suggest. Jersey City is a decent size city and ranges in desirability from one area to the next. Downtown areas of Jersey City are very nice, but pricey. The Heights area of the city is more affordable, but not as safe as the Downtown area, but is not dangerous. The places the previous poster suggested are really good options and I am looking into some of those myself especially Weehawken and West New York. I also have a toddler and I also have a 7 year old and am also african american, so I think we would have similar interest in neighborhoods. One of the things I look for is parks and Boulevard East has a lot of parks as well as beautiful views of the city. I found that West New York is generally cheaper than Weehawken, but the schools in Weehawken are better, if you are planing on living there until your child is school aged. I have actually seen 2 bedroom apartments on Blvd East for as low as $1250. If you do look into those two try to stay toward the east, the closer to blvd east the better. Once you get a few blocks in to the west it gets a little run down and people generally are poorer in those areas, more so in WNY than Weehawken. I have a thread up right now, Harrison, Secaucus, or Weehawken/West New York area. Need Advice, and some people on here have given me lots of good information. It also depends on if you want an area with a more suburban feel or a nice urban area. Jersey has lots of different options to offer depending on what you like. I feel like race isn't a huge issue here since there is such a mix of people, which is really refreshing from where I come from, but West New York is mainly Hispanic if that bothers you or not. Hoboken is very nice, but often very busy so some people, especially ones with families, don't really want to live there because of it. I personally love Hoboken and if I could afford it I would live there in a heartbeat. It has multiple modes of quick transportation into NYC and has a lot of things in walking distance, but is very very very expensive. Edgewater is extremely nice as well. It has a lot of high end shopping centers and is really clean. I would think you would need to own a car there tho, but I could be wrong. There is buses that go up and down river road. Once again tho Edgewater is really expensive so It depends on your price range.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Hi,

thanks!

Downtown JC is very nice, Newport, Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park, Paulus Hook all are great and have easy access to the city.

You may want to consider Hoboken as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 PM

thank you all and no i do not have a car we will rely on public transportation for now. a one or two bed room is good and the price range is nothing higher than 1350. i want somewhere that my son gets to play with all children of different races not just African american like where we live now. i plan to work and have my son attend school in NYC unless a school in jersey is good enough and i find work there.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Downtown JC is very nice, Newport, Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park, Paulus Hook all are great and have easy access to the city.

You may want to consider Hoboken as well.
These are probably your best options and they are diverse as well, so no worries on that end. Because of their easy access to the city, they can get pricey though. Best of luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 45,613 times
Kennedy boulevard, SOME parts of West side, Mallory Avenue are your BEST bets if you want safety and do not want to pay ridiculous rents. Also, there is a big park close by. The neighborhoods around these areas are very mixed: black, white, hispanic, asian, etc. It is very diverse and while not perfect (not even downton jc is perfect because people have been robbed and have had their cars broken into there as well..york ave, etc.), it is nice. Parking is sometimes an issue because there are lots of driveways around but since you do not drive yet, it is okay. Good luck to you and your precious little one :-)

Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Quote:
thank you all and no i do not have a car we will rely on public transportation for now. a one or two bed room is good and the price range is nothing higher than 1350. i want somewhere that my son gets to play with all children of different races not just African american like where we live now. i plan to work and have my son attend school in NYC unless a school in jersey is good enough and i find work there.

Are you planning on sending your son to private school in NYC? Because it would be illegal to send your child to NYC public schools while living in NJ. Also, generally speaking NJ public schools are much better than NYC ones.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Quote:

I have been taking my kids to parks recently in Hoboken, Weehawken, and in West New York(on blvd east) and they are very diverse. Also, I was very surprised at how nice the other parents were. They included my kids in activities, like the one in Weehawken my son played baseball with some kids and one of the kids' dad. He was really nice and taught him tips and everything, then told me about their little league team. My girlfriend and I love the parks up that way. I heard the schools in Bergen county are generally better than schools in most of north jersey and better than NYC schools. Hudson county schools are generally not very good. Some are okay, I live in Bayonne and the schools are good here. I have also heard the schools are decent in Weehawken and Secaucus. Beware Jersey City schools are horrible. So basically Hudson county is better for commuting to NYC and life without a car, where as Bergen county has better schools and less crowded. Just to give you a heads up security deposits are very high here. Most want a month and a half deposit and first months rent, also some of them use rental agencies to show their houses and sometimes you have to pay them too. I was unaware of that until I was about to move here. We just saw an apartment last week that was $1250 a month and they wanted a month and a half for a security deposit and on top of that I would have to pay the agency that shows the place a fee the equivalent of a month of rent, so it comes to over $3000 not including first months rent. If you don't mind me asking where are you coming from.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 PM

we live in Philadelphia,Pa and it takes us about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to NYC which isnt bad but sometimes my son needs to be in the city within an hour and coming from Philadelphia that is impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey