Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM

147 posts, read 409,910 times

Advertisements

What are the middle class, white collar towns in Union County and Morris County with a good/decent school district?

We are moving to NJ and know next to nothing about NJ towns. For us, white collar does not mean where majority of the residents are CEOs, CFOs or corporate lawyers.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 AM

201 posts, read 617,201 times
In Morris I would say the majority of towns are white collar except for the more western region of towns like Mt. Olive, Hopatcong, Budd Lake, there it is more blue collar. You have to remember Morris is one of the most per capita income counties in America because of towns like Mendham, randolph, Chatham, Chester, etc. As for Union, I would say Springfield, Union twnshp, Westfield, Clark, Cranford, Scotch Plains, are the more white collar towns.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
In Morris I would say the majority of towns are white collar except for the more western region of towns like Mt. Olive, Hopatcong, Budd Lake, there it is more blue collar. You have to remember Morris is one of the most per capita income counties in America because of towns like Mendham, randolph, Chatham, Chester, etc. As for Union, I would say Springfield, Union twnshp, Westfield, Clark, Cranford, Scotch Plains, are the more white collar towns.
so not to confuse the OP - Budd Lake is part of Mount Olive township (the other part of MO is Flanders). I'd argue that Mount Olive is more blue collar than white, but don't care enough to do research, I'll rely on my nearly 19 years of living in the area - it's definitely more blue collar than Chester, Mendham though, I agree with that.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM

201 posts, read 617,201 times
I always thought Flanders was part of Roxbury twnship which is another white collar town in Morris. But anyway I will defer to you as the Morris county expert as I only lived in that area 6 years.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
I always thought Flanders was part of Roxbury twnship which is another white collar town in Morris. But anyway I will defer to you as the Morris county expert as I only lived in that area 6 years.
people who live in Roxbury may have a Flanders address, but the "town" is part of MO township. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
people who live in Roxbury may have a Flanders address, but the "town" is part of MO township. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.
Yes, it is the same way with lake Shawnee part of Lake Hopatcong...their mail is deliverd through Wharton post office so the address is Wharton...that can get very confusing around here

Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM

147 posts, read 409,910 times
How about Berkeley Heights? Is it a more affluent town compared to say Springfield?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
How about Berkeley Heights? Is it a more affluent town compared to say Springfield?
yes, infinitely more

Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

143 posts, read 414,217 times
In Union County, Springfield HS (Jonathan Dayton) is not rated as good as some other HS in the area such as Westfield, Berkley Heights, Scotch Plains, (where Mountainside students go also).
But the town is nice. In BH homes tend to be a little newer overall too (think 80s) as I think BH was built up quite a bit more after 78 extension was finished.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 36,368 times
Jonathan Dayton High Schools actually ranks higher than Westfield and Scotch Plains High schools in NJ monthly 2010. However, NJ Monthly I always hear is a biased magazine, but no other place "ranks" high schools, so it's an inexact science with little sources of ranking system (1-322). All high schools in the area are pretty good, Brearley is superb so is AL Johnson. Union is not that white collar of a town, but it all depends on how one defines it, as in the term "suburban".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey