Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

What is a seat belt ticket like in terms of cost? Like $100 or less? Just pay it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
I got nailed over the summer pulling out of a business and drove a few hundred yards so didn't have seat belt on right away. Cop said it was "National Seatbelt Enforcement Month" or some such crap. I hadn't had a ticket in almost 20 years (made a rolling right turn off an exit from Rt 46 in Lodi - I still remember) but this doesn't go on your record. Annoying, but I paid the $40.

I notice that once you get to your mid-20s, the cops lay off on the tickets...assuming you don't drive a hot rod or cut in & out like a j*rkoff.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Of course they don't have moral authority. What they have is legal authority.
That's just another way of saying might makes right.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM

109 posts, read 125,475 times
If the greatest seatbelt concern is someone becoming a projectile and injuring someone else, why not ban all motorcycles then?? Essentially the driver of a motorcycle is a projectile waiting to happen.

If the next greatest concern is the increase in insurance costs and the costs to tax payers, why don't we force fat people into fat camps? force smokers to wear a patch and not smoke? ban the consumption of soda? force drinkers into AA programs? forces athetes playing contact sports to play golf instead?

Why? Because we are not infants, we are not cattle. If safety and accountability is not determined at the personal level, in the eyes of the law we are both of those things.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM

323 posts, read 575,461 times
seatbelts are a common sense issue

they save lives and injuries that would result in large law suits,otherwise

common sense should tell everyone not to talk on phones or text ,but we need laws for that as well

common sense isnt very common

Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post

If the next greatest concern is the increase in insurance costs and the costs to tax payers, why don't we force fat people into fat camps? force smokers to wear a patch and not smoke? ban the consumption of soda? force drinkers into AA programs? forces athetes playing contact sports to play golf instead?
These are not comparable (health vs. auto insurance) because auto insurance companies get sued for millions when people get really hurt, and maybe they wouldn't have gotten that hurt had they been wearing their seat belt.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I got nailed over the summer pulling out of a business and drove a few hundred yards so didn't have seat belt on right away. Cop said it was "National Seatbelt Enforcement Month" or some such crap. I hadn't had a ticket in almost 20 years (made a rolling right turn off an exit from Rt 46 in Lodi - I still remember) but this doesn't go on your record. Annoying, but I paid the $40.

I notice that once you get to your mid-20s, the cops lay off on the tickets...assuming you don't drive a hot rod or cut in & out like a j*rkoff.
You don't fasten your seat belt before you start your car ?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Cops have absolutely no business being out on the road dealing with any motor vehicle issies. I know we have all gotten accustomed to this, but they should not be there.
Oh my gosh, you can't be serious?

How many innocent folks have been injured/killed by drivers who are on the phone or texting. How many innocent folks have been injured/killed by aggresivespeeding drivers?

The police are out there to protect those folks from drivers who are too caught up in themselves to give a crap about others.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
There's too many posts to read them all. It's simple, It's you vs. State of NJ. The State has a witness, the cop. get it?

Old 07-17-2015, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 962 times
If ur not wearing your belt don't put it on cause u seen a cop that's seeable. Put the strap over it shoulder if you have your reasons not to wear it and make sure belts clips not visible. If you get pulled over jump out real quick without video image he can't prove u had it off when he pulls you over. If they say anything out jumping out play off a sick stomac or something.another thing wear your belt its just much easyer. For you the cop the court insurance company. And the insurance company will bring your rates up for no seat belt which is stupid but can't do anything about them but give them our hard earned money and suck it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: