Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM

336 posts, read 1,296,000 times

Advertisements

Do you think Xanadu will open by then?

I think NJ has great shopping and right now lower taxes, so this could be a good thing. Don't worry hotel rooms will be booked as far south as Philly.
Some people will even be renting out thier homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
You really think that? Come on, man. Anyone coming to this Super Bowl will be staying in NYC and bolting outta there and back to Manhattan the second the game is over. The media will be set up in Times Square for all of the pregame and postgame stuff.

This will be about as bad as when I was watching an Eagles game and they showed a shot of Atlantic City while talking about how beautiful a day it was on the "Pennsylvania Coast."
I do agree it's annoying. I don't have an inferiority complex though, just the opposite. I think NJ is a great state which doesn't get enough credit from the rest of the country.

There will be plenty of people staying in NJ, every hotel room will be sold out within probably 60 miles. In fact, you guys up there might be able to make out good if you want to, I've read about people renting their homes for a few thousand dollars during Superbowl just for the weekend!

I'm excited, I think that's going to be the Eagles year, and I'll be close enough to go see them win the 'Bowl!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The people who can afford Super Bowl tickets can.
Not necessarily, there are a good amount of die hard fans that go to the super bowl to support their them and they are usually middle class so super bowl tickets take a big toll on their budget so therefore will not be able to spring the extra bucks for a NYC hotel.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfromnyere View Post
You people are ridiculous. The bid came from New York, not New Jersey. The bid is about all of the amenities, all of the pomp and circumstances. It's much more about the city where the festivities will be than it is about the stadium. The stadium is in NJ because it's cost effective.

NJ is what it is and has the economy that it does completely due to it's proximity to NY. People can live there or set up a business there (or a football stadium) and still enjoy everything about NY and work in NY. If not for NYC, all of NJ would be like, well, Western NJ where nobody is considering holding a major sporting event. Everyone knows that the stadium is in NJ, and everyone knows that all of the cool things around the game will be in NYC.

It's the NY Metro area. Plenty of stadiums aren't directly within the city limits of the team name. But those people don't have inferiority complexes the way so many people from NJ do about NY.
I'm both a New Yorker & a New Jerseyan and I fully agree. I love both states (I like NJ more though). Based on this I'd say SOME NJians have some sort of complex. It does annoy me when people who've never been to NJ make ignorant statements about it and that dumb show too. Lately I have been noticing people blowing it way out of proportion. Like "NJ always foots the bill", like don't NYers foot the bill for NYC (NY's & NJ's city)? (Correct me if I'm wrong here).

On topic, it's good for New York & New Jersey, they never hosted a Superbowl.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
think NJ has great shopping and right now lower taxes, so this could be a good thing. Don't worry hotel rooms will be booked as far south as Philly.
Some people will even be renting out thier homes.
Anyone who has ever been to a Superbowl goes on a Friday night and leaves Monday morning. No one is coming to the game to hang out in NJ. They will be hitting the hot spots of NY. NJ will see increased business for a day or two. That's it. The cost of running such an event is huge. Security cost are in the millions alone.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous92 View Post
lately i have been noticing people blowing it way out of proportion. Like "nj always foots the bill", like don't nyers foot the bill for nyc (ny's & nj's city)? (correct me if i'm wrong here).
huh?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
I just happened to stroll into Times SQ as they were announcing it and Bloomberg said it was a NYC victory.....ive had enough of them and there gloating and boasting......we get nothing but bashing for NY , yet we do everything for them.....

Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
I wonder what NY's governor is going to have to say about this on SNL.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
huh?
Yeah that looks like it didn't make too much sense, I was editing it (didn't proof read it).

But basically some fellow New Jersyans love to overreact, especially when it involves NYC. You can see based on the first couple of posts and the way most of this thread is turning out.

I read something like "as usual NJ foots the bill while NYC gets the benefits" or something like that, first of all who even pays for it? The teams? NJ? NY? (Serious Question)

And at the same time many NJians live right next door to NYC and reap NYC's benefits, don't NYers pay taxes and all of that which keeps the city running? No one complains about that.

Like I said before this NJ vs NY stuff is getting annoying, it's practically the same place.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,521 times
Anybody got tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey