Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
There's still a massive gang and drug influence on schools in Newark and Elizabeth on a scale not even comparable to small towns around the Newark metro area. There's absolutely no point in living there if you can afford a place like West Orange (west of Main St), Livingston, etc.
Actually the gangs are slowly going away , thanks to the increased Police force and Camera Network. Over the past 5 years they've really cracked down on Crime , Gangs and other stuff and the Urban Communities have been doing most of the work. The Suburbs have a worse Drug problem then the inner cities , because most ppl in the Suburbs ignore it and say it can't happen here. Also there are gangs in the suburbs worse then the inner cities. like i said it all depends on the Neighborhood or Ward your in and the Schools are separated between wards. Some are better then others, but don't demonize the entire city. Thats not fair , your telling me that Newark or Elizabeth hasn't made any strides in cleaning itself up over the past 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Really you want the OP to move to Elizabeth when they can afford to rent most anywhere? What lousy advice. I realize that you are still in your teens and with that comes some idolization of fairness but, trust me, when you are old enough to be married and have kids you won't want to raise them in Elizabeth.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,070,760 times
You're telling me drug and gang problems are worse in places like East Hanover, Livingston and Roseland than in places like Newark and Elizabeth? You and I know that's not true. Newark was the heroin capital of America not too long ago. And Elizabeth's crime rate has gotten worse every year since 2007.
I live in Newark. And I work out in the burbs. I've always said Newark (and the same holds true for Elizabeth) is a decent place if you're single, on a budget, and living there temporarily. There's absolutely no reason to be here if you can afford it, especially if you have a family.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 16,169 times
Now I'm worried! How prolific are gangs in NJ? Im used to being in rough and ready parts of London but then its the whole gun thing. From what I've read places like Chatham and Montclair are pretty safe?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Gang culture is pretty prevelant in Newark and the immediate surrounding area. Upper Montclair and Chatham are safe though. Check out Livingston, Roseland, Millburn too. Look into some other towns that may suit your interest and I should be able to tell you about them.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by british Mum View Post
Now I'm worried! How prolific are gangs in NJ? Im used to being in rough and ready parts of London but then its the whole gun thing. From what I've read places like Chatham and Montclair are pretty safe?
Please don't worry about gangs in NJ suburbs. That is just one person posting a bunch of nonsense. I can't think of a safer place to live than a town like Chatham. Seriously you are more likely to have a problem with the PTA than a gang.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Gang culture is pretty prevelant in Newark and the immediate surrounding area. Upper Montclair and Chatham are safe though. Check out Livingston, Roseland, Millburn too. Look into some other towns that may suit your interest and I should be able to tell you about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Please don't worry about gangs in NJ suburbs. That is just one person posting a bunch of nonsense. I can't think of a safer place to live than a town like Chatham. Seriously you are more likely to have a problem with the PTA than a gang.
So your calling me a liar , a naive person would think that theres no gangs in the suburbs. Yes there not dangerous shotting gangs like in the Cities , but there are gangs......there the more quiet type. But to say Newark and Elizabeth are infested with Gangs is untrue , maybe 10 years ago , but not today. If it were infested with gangs , then why would i go to it? I don't go to crime infested cities......The Gangs in the suburbs tend to be non violent , but do other stuff , but nothing like Urban gangs. Live along a Rail Corridor somewhere , like Millburn , Summit , Morristown?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 AM

You're still kidding yourself if you think gang culture is more prevalant in places like Chatham, Summit, etc than in Elizabeth and Newark. There may be gang activity out in the burbs. But avoiding them for that reason and going to Newark is jumping out of the pot and into the flame.
I live in Newark (nearly 3 years now) and have defended it on this site as much as the next guy. But you are a psychopath if you think this city is ideal for raising a family.
Every day I see the task force busting a group of hooligans. Probably twice a week I hear gunshots. I hear sirens 24/7. I drive by the high schools and see cops doing body searches on people.
I've said it before: this would be an okay place if you're single and on a budget. But if I had money and a family I would not want to stay here for a minute.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Also, if there are any gang members out in the burbs, they'll be gone in a NY minute. People actually care about the quality of their neighborhood. In Newark I see people selling drugs and carrying guns in plain sight and no one will call the cops.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You're still kidding yourself if you think gang culture is more prevalant in places like Chatham, Summit, etc than in Elizabeth and Newark. There may be gang activity out in the burbs. But avoiding them for that reason and going to Newark is jumping out of the pot and into the flame.
I live in Newark (nearly 3 years now) and have defended it on this site as much as the next guy. But you are a psychopath if you think this city is ideal for raising a family.
Every day I see the task force busting a group of hooligans. Probably twice a week I hear gunshots. I hear sirens 24/7. I drive by the high schools and see cops doing body searches on people.
I've said it before: this would be an okay place if you're single and on a budget. But if I had money and a family I would not want to stay here for a minute.
Quote:
Also, if there are any gang members out in the burbs, they'll be gone in a NY minute. People actually care about the quality of their neighborhood. In Newark I see people selling drugs and carrying guns in plain sight and no one will call the cops.
I guess you live in the South or West wards , i wouldn't want to live there. Or raise a Family , but the East and North wards are ok. I see plently of Families up and out everytime i go there. Crime is low in both areas. Gangs aren't an issue really there. Gangs in the Suburbs are more underground , usually connected to the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey