Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,251 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving for work to New Jersey in 3 weeks and need to find a place to rent ASAP. I'm a female in my late 20's, job is in Paramus. Does anyone know of safe places to rent nearby, preferably a 1 bedroom apt. for around $1000 or less?

I will have a car but would like my commute to be less than 15-20 minutes.

I'm flying out next week to take a look around since I've never actually been to New Jersey.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:40 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,153 times
That's a big change! I'd think you'd want someplace either very near Manhattan for a total change of pace, like Hoboken/JC/Weehawken or someplace further out and very green and suburby. The more urban areas close to NYC are going to seem pretty ugly if you're used to SoCal, but being able to fly into the city when you feel like it may make up for it.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
If you want to limit your commute to 15-20 minutes you will probably be limited to Paramus, Oradel, New Milford, Emerson, Ridgewood, Maywood and Maybe Hackensack or Westwood. All nice safe towns (except maybe parts of Hackensack). I am not sure about rents for 1 BR in those communities.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,251 times
I would love to get the city experience. My plan was to move to downtown San Diego so I would love to live somewhere that I can walk to food, cafes, etc.

1. How bad is the traffic from Hoboken going North to Paramus
2. Is Hackensack a safe neighborhood? There seems to be quite a few places for rent there.
3. Any thoughts on Edgewater?

Thanks for the input, I fly in tomorrow morning and have 3 days to find a place.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCaliGirl View Post
I would love to get the city experience. My plan was to move to downtown San Diego so I would love to live somewhere that I can walk to food, cafes, etc.

1. How bad is the traffic from Hoboken going North to Paramus
2. Is Hackensack a safe neighborhood? There seems to be quite a few places for rent there.
3. Any thoughts on Edgewater?

Thanks for the input, I fly in tomorrow morning and have 3 days to find a place.

Traffic from Hoboken to Paramus in the morning can be a challenge. Plus you wouldn't find a one bedroom for less than 1k. More than 15-20 minute commute. Same for Edgewater, although you may find something for 1K.

Hackensack is safe for the most part, there are areas that you will want to avoid.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM

My bad, Hoboken is both too expensive and too far from your job. Sorry, the SoCal mention distracted me (I was there recently). Weehawken is more affordable but lacks the pleasant coffee shops in walking distance - but it's 15 mins. from NYC by bus and also a 5-10 min. drive from Hoboken.

Rutherford might work for you. It has one of the shortest commutes to NYC (both bus and train) and acc. to Googlemap is around 17 mins. from Paramus. It has a small downtown for the coffee-drinking and there are apartments in your range.

I'm not sure how much of Edgewater there is besides shopping malls and condos (on the waterfront with a view of NYC) but maybe that's because I only shop there. It has all the big box shops and there are restaurants in those malls too. There's also a very small downtown area with more individual restaurants.

One thing you can count on, the NJ bus system is excellent and any town you move to is likely to have decent bus service to Manhattan, maybe trains as well. See New Jersey Transit - Home. Whether the bus is handy to any given apartment is something a local realtor could tell you.

For authoritative info on crime see this yearly report - sec. VII on municipalities (it's searchable).
New Jersey State Police - 2008 Uniform Crime Report

It will be hard for you to size up NJ and find a place in three days! Good luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
It depends what kind of lifestyle you want to lead...and this is something you should ponder ahead of time, to narrow down your search. In Southern California, you need a car whether you live in the city or not. Southern California is much like a large suburb.

In NJ and the entire NYC metro area, NYC is such a massive metropolis that even directly outside the main urban center (Manhattan) you have *VERY* dense, urban areas that are much denser than ANYTHING in Southern California.

For example, in NJ, you have to go about 10 miles west/northwest/southwest of NYC to get to the true suburbs, those leafy, peaceful (boring) places that frankly, much of Southern California consists of.

Do you want to be car reliant? Or do you want to live a city life, and have 24-hour access to NYC in mere minutes?

If the answer is city life, you'd have to shell out more than $1,000 per month in rent. In Hoboken for example, you'd have to spend at least $1,300 for a very modest 1-bedroom.

For a short time, I commuted to Paramus from Jersey City, which is right next to Hoboken. It took me about 35 minutes, if I recall, with some traffic. It wasn't bad.

My recommendation is to check out Hoboken.

If you desire a more suburban lifestyle, then check out Montclair or Ridgewood, 2 great suburban towns that are still close to NYC for an occasional night out.

But if you are in your late 20's, and relocating, you'll probably want to meet people around your age, and Hoboken gives you the best platform to do so.

If you need any specific advice, feel free to PM me!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Tommyc_37 said what I was trying to say in the first place but much better. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey