Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 18,145 times

Advertisements

Me and two friends of mine (Both pretty standard 23 year olds) are looking to move into one of the three areas.

Is Jersey City heights basically the same thing as the part of Union City that's closest to Hoboken (as far as crime goes)?

I know Downtown JC (The part where 78 blocks it off from the rest of JC) is relatively crime free. We're three able-bodied males, but we still don't want to live in a bad area.

What's the least-risky areas in JC Heights and Union City? Is my assumption that virtually all downtown JC is safe correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,153 times
Go here for detailed map of crime in JC including the Heights.
New Jersey by the Numbers - NJ.com

I live next door to UC. While I can't tell you what areas are safer than others (and there's no UC crime map that I know of), I can say that I find the southern part of the city near Washington Park, Hoboken and JC most pleasant - it's less dense, the park gives it some open space which the rest of the city sorely lacks, and you can walk to Hoboken (which you'd probably enjoy being near) and JC.

(It's hard to find a map of UC showing borders but here's a little one. I'm talking about the southern tip, roughly 1st - 8th streets.)
File:Census Bureau map of Union City, New Jersey.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Downtown JC is IMO by far the best of the three areas you're considering. It costs considerably more to live there but there's a lot more to do too and more people to do it with. The Heights is second and UC is third although the area I mentioned is so close to the Heights that it may not matter.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Union City is pretty much all a dump. JC is safest as stated in downtown area. However, it is the most expensive. With that being said, you are better off going to Hoboken or Queens/Brooklyn instead.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 18,145 times
Thank you so much for being helpful - those graphs were really interesting. Seems like the closer you get to the borders, the safer it is.

I heard in particular that "Ogden avenue" is crime-ridden, but that may not be the case. It doesn't look like it in the graphs.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
You'll be fine in the heights or union city (west hoboken/east) whatever you want to classify it as. I'm a 26 white male in that part of UC and have had no problems and I'm out at all hours of the night. I think I feel safer here than in JC heights, but if you're really worried about safety, just pretty much stay as east as you can in those areas.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaxAttacks View Post
Thank you so much for being helpful - those graphs were really interesting. Seems like the closer you get to the borders, the safer it is.

I heard in particular that "Ogden avenue" is crime-ridden, but that may not be the case. It doesn't look like it in the graphs.
Did you notice the more detailed crime maps? You can see exactly what's going on on Ogden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey