Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM

132 posts, read 410,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
yah but this just proves my point even more.

60 acres in Somerset Co. = $10MM
60 acres in Bergen Co. = add a couple more 0's

which is why I left Somerset out, though it's still nice.

Hunterdon county is ranked # 4 and Somerset county is ranked # 5 in the country as the richest counties in the entire USA. Bergen wasn't even mentioned

See the link:
Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

132 posts, read 410,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Warren county.
And I remember growing up in PA all the people that thought they made it big or accumulated wealth and wanted to forget where they came from moved to Cherry Hill. Tons of lawyers and doctors there and a lot of Philly athletes too.

I think you meant Warren Township (in Somerset County), not Warren County.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM

220 posts, read 701,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUALL View Post
Hunterdon county is ranked # 4 and Somerset county is ranked # 5 in the country as the richest counties in the entire USA. Bergen wasn't even mentioned

See the link:
Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yeh as mentioned in OP, Hunterdon/Somerset are much more rural and 'out there' so you're gonna get much more homogenous population..

bergen/essex are diverse due to its city proximity (ie hackensack/ridgewood or newark/essex falls are proverbial neighbors) hence why i mentioned northern Bergen, above the invisible divider.

it's like saying Westchester County is wealthier than New York County (Manhattan) overall because Manhattan numbers include income for those above 96th street.

but yeh if i had $10MM (one can dream) i'd take 60 acres with less traffic over a small lot with congestion.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
yeh as mentioned in OP, Hunterdon/Somerset are much more rural and 'out there' so you're gonna get much more homogenous population..

bergen/essex are diverse due to its city proximity (ie hackensack/ridgewood or newark/essex falls are proverbial neighbors) hence why i mentioned northern Bergen, above the invisible divider.

it's like saying Westchester County is wealthier than New York County (Manhattan) overall because Manhattan numbers include income for those above 96th street.

but yeh if i had $10MM (one can dream) i'd take 60 acres with less traffic over a small lot with congestion.
Rather than an acre or two in Bergen County or 50+ acres in Western NJ, I'd take 5-10 acres in Monmouth County - close to the beach, close enough to NYC, close enough to AC and Philly, good access to highways, and on a personal note close to my friends and family in Bergen, Monmouth, NYC, Hudson, Essex, Passaic, Middlesex, and Union Counties. This is going by the 10 Mil figure - I think that's about right...

Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
One of the areas that I like is Spring Lake and Sea Girt. A lot of old money there with beautiful oceanfront homes. Also add Mantolokin to that list, same thing. I wouldn't say the most elite but big money and exclusive. On Long Beach Island throw Loveladies into the mix.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 PM

13 posts, read 32,977 times
Spring Lake and Sea Girt are awesome! Spring Lake is known as the " Irish Riviera".

Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Looks right to me...

I would only add the Rumson/Red Bank/Little Silver/Deal area of Monmouth County. Also nearby in Colt's Neck, Manasquan, Marlboro areas... Seems to be a lot of wealth in that area. I know that the area around Deal has a lot of big money.

And I don't know South Jersey well enough but I'm sure there are some elite areas there, too.
Johnny! I agree with you once again LOL.... Colts Neck/Rumson/Red Bank, HOLMDEL too!!! I love the Holmdel Parks! beautiful!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM

60 posts, read 155,187 times
Hunterdon County is wealthy, but it's mostly due to land ownership. I cannot be sure, but I believe Lebanon is the 'wealthier' town in Hunterdon. Alyssa Milano just got married there last year at her husband's parents' estate. I think also, there are really no poorer towns in Hunterdon that bring down the wealth... i.e. in Somerset, we have wealthy towns like Bedminster and Basking Ridge (and Bernards... and Warren... etc), but you also have Bound Brook, parts of Franklin Township, Somerset, and Manville, that are much lower in household income.

However, Somerset county is far more elite than people realize. As someone mentioned, the 3 B's as I call them (Bernards, Bedminster and Basking Ridge) are expensive. The richest woman in NJ, the CEO of Mars, lives in one of those 3.

And yes, Subban, Rumson used to be the richest town in NJ. I thought Alpine passed them a few years ago - however, there are studies that go either by per capita income, household median income, etc.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
SmokeRise, Rumson and some other Jersey shore places

Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Hunterdon and Somerset are ranked above Bergen County because of the lower half of Bergen County (below Route 4). If Upper Bergen County was it's own county, it'd blow away Hunterdon and Somerset in terms of wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey