Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,964,806 times

Advertisements

Thats how nasty Politics really gets in New Mexico.

Btw: that youtube video now has 41,000+ views lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM

9,346 posts, read 20,705,974 times
"Lawn Sign" update: I did my 4 mile run through my residential neighborhood early yesterday evening, and thought for the sake of playing a game to keep my mind off of running, to count the lawn signs in my suburban, middle/upper middle class area. I was pretty stunned by the numbers, the sign count was 11 for Denish and 1 for Martinez. I think I live in a pretty Democratic neighborhood, though. Something, though, struck me about the Denish signs: they all had Brian Colòn's name prominently displayed, equally so. I couldn't help but think, cynically, if this was done intentionally to dissuade Hispanic Democrats thinking of crossing over to vote for Martinez, as an attention getter to reconsider, because Denish has a man of Hispanic descent (though Puerto Rican and not Mexican American) on the ticket. Has anyone else considered this? The man is on the ticket for lieutenant governor, not governor. In contrast, can anyone name who the perspective lieutenant governor is running with Susanna Martinez?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM

4,958 posts, read 7,323,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
The funny thing is you lie more than I ever have.

FYI: Espanola is my hometown, and there was not 5,000 sold out tickets. The local newspaper editor in chief said only 900 (if even) attended. There was empty seats and hardly anyone, when I checked.
I was across the street with the Martinez camp, over 70-90 supporters all from Espanola.
You really get around, don't you bradly?

Have a look at this Youtube video from KRQE News 13, stating that "thousands" were at the event. Clearly there are over a thousand people attending, the video is not lying. There was "hardly anyone" when you "checked"? Just when I think your credibility can't get any lower, it plummets some more.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
aries:

So ... let me see if I have this right ....

If someone knows a person and considers the person a friend, then you cannot trust what they say about their friend.

So you are basically saying I am dishonest when I post my opinions here.

Lovely.
In this case, Towanda, I'm not saying you're dishonest, I'm saying your are biased because she is your friend. There is a difference.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,624,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
"Lawn Sign" update: I did my 4 mile run through my residential neighborhood early yesterday evening, and thought for the sake of playing a game to keep my mind off of running, to count the lawn signs in my suburban, middle/upper middle class area. I was pretty stunned by the numbers, the sign count was 11 for Denish and 1 for Martinez. I think I live in a pretty Democratic neighborhood, though. Something, though, struck me about the Denish signs: they all had Brian Colòn's name prominently displayed, equally so. I couldn't help but think, cynically, if this was done intentionally to dissuade Hispanic Democrats thinking of crossing over to vote for Martinez, as an attention getter to reconsider, because Denish has a man of Hispanic descent (though Puerto Rican and not Mexican American) on the ticket. Has anyone else considered this? The man is on the ticket for lieutenant governor, not governor. In contrast, can anyone name who the perspective lieutenant governor is running with Susanna Martinez?
John Sanchez.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM

366 posts, read 866,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Anyone find it interesting that while Martinez has a hefty lead in this unscientific poll, Proposition D is passing just as comfortably in the other unscientific poll? Seems a bit contradictory. Is NM a tax-and-spend liberal state whose electorate has had it with the current administration, or a RINO state that likes to tax and spend, as well?
We are a tax-and-spend liberal state that is socially conservative. The current is just against democrats right now. New Mexican's don't consider bonds to be taxes and even if they did they would still vote for it (see Ruidoso track tax and railrunner tax).

I don't know why the candidates are going on and on about not raising taxes. I bet they would get plenty of support if they said they were going to raise the top tax bracket so they didn't have to cut education any more. I guess they are just scared of being blasted by the vocal minority. Or maybe it is just that we are more than willing to raise taxes on ourselves, but we don't want our politicians telling us that they are going to raise taxes on us.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,964,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You really get around, don't you bradly?

Youtube video from KRQE News 13, stating that "thousands" were at the event. Clearly there are over a thousand people attending, the video is not lying. There was "hardly anyone" when you "checked"? Just when I think your credibility can't get any lower, it plummets some more.
Yes I do get around. My family business requires me to do so.

And thats good for you that you think "Thousands" went but thats false.
Like I said, You had to be there to see for yourself. And you were not.

Poor the Denish campaign, the only thing they can do is take and steal all those Susana signs, cause the election was Denish's to lose.

How sad, she was supposed to be governor right now at this very moment, and just in a week and half, a prosecutor that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE even knew is so sooooo much closer to the state's largest possition and that mansion.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That's interesting, you live in Las Cruces, right? I would think Susana would be more popular there. Maybe the gossip I've read online is true, that she is not very highly regarded in Las Cruces and is seen as a power-grabber who is very difficult to work with.

If she is elected and turns out to be really horrible, my only hope is that she can be recalled.

Of course Colon was selected from a large group of candidates for Lt. Governor in the primaries, he was not chosen by Denish. I don't see why their sharing a sign should be seen as suspicious since they are both hoping to be elected. Maybe it is cynical of me to suggest that the reason Susana Martinez didn't take her husband's name (Franco) is because Martinez is a much more common name in New Mexico than Franco, so she kept it with future political ambitions in mind. And I wouldn't blame her. Or maybe it is cheeky for me to suppose that they don't want Sanchez' name on the signs because they don't want to draw attention to him, now that word is out that he habitually hired illegal aliens for his business.

I saw a Martinez campaign table at UNM today outside the Student Union. A couple of old fogeys were sitting at it but I saw nobody walk up to them. By contrast on Monday there was a Denish table in the same spot with a large crowd of supporters around it. Campus Republicans were a bit miffed that Susana was a no-show at the recent Higher Education Forum at UNM and didn't even send a representative, while Denish sent Brian Colon.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,738,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If she is elected and turns out to be really horrible, my only hope is that she can be recalled.
New Mexico law does not allow the recall of state officials.

Get used to saying Governor Martinez.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM

9,346 posts, read 20,705,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I get the El Paso feed and LC gets regular coverage on the local newscasts. All of the local stations in El Paso bill themselves as El Paso/Las Cruces/Juarez, or my personal favorite 'Borderland,' news, weather, etc. Honestly, I think LC gets more attention from El Paso than it does from ABQ.

LC is quite aware of the fact that one of the candidates is from here and residents are quite involved in the political process. KFOX, one of those El Paso stations, reported that early returns are up over the last gubernatorial election:

""It is exciting; it's showing that voters are actually caring about what's going on within our community and they're actually coming out and voicing their opinions, they're actually participating in the electoral process," said Dona Ana County deputy chief county clerk, Mario Jimenez."

Dona Ana County Early Voting Up Since Last Gubernatorial Election - News Story - KFOX El Paso
There's no question about the bolded, but I think that's natural. After all its 60 miles vs 230.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico