Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You are the one who felt the need to emphasize their ethnic differences. You wrote:
"Diane Denish of Hobbs an anglo democrat candidate and Susana Martinez of Las Cruces the first latina to ever run for governor and have such a high lead in the polls."

I think it is fair question to ask why.

Anyway, the latest poll results:

Denish-Martinez race ‘remains in a virtual tie’, poll finds « New Mexico Independent
The ethnicity of these two candidates is of zero significance to me. I really could care less about their gender. I just want competent leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The ethnicity of these two candidates is of zero significance to me. I really could care less about their gender. I just want competent leadership.
What he said....

Bradly;
You're the one that made ethnicity an issue; don't blame others for objecting to that.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It is of zero significance to me as well.
I will say that as a woman I am quite pleased to have two women candidates, however, should only one have been a woman, it would not have played any role in my decision either if I did not agree with her political views.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I think Martinez will win, since the liberals want change so much, they will vote in Martinez just cause she would be the first Hispanic female Gov. in the country.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think Martinez will win, since the liberals want change so much, they will vote in Martinez just cause she would be the first Hispanic female Gov. in the country.
Uh, except that she is anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, anti-immigration, pro-gun, and was endorsed by Palin and Romney with probable additional endorsements from other far-right conservatives.

I think NM liberals are confident in the issues enough not to overlook those things just to vote in a Hispanic.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Wow I didnt know that karma the cat would make that a big deal.
So what... thats all I have to say.

Anyways, its not about sex or race... I just made it clear denish was a ANGLO and martinez was a LATINA. Big damn deal.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Uh, except that she is anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, anti-immigration, pro-gun, and was endorsed by Palin and Romney with probable additional endorsements from other far-right conservatives.

I think NM liberals are confident in the issues enough not to overlook those things just to vote in a Hispanic.
You're leaving out a very important term....ILLEGAL. She is anti-ILLEGAL immigration.

Big difference. But the pro-illegal alien advocates conveniently forget that little item.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Compare how many more republicans went out...

View the reults at the NM SOS website.
The reason more Republicans went out is that they actually had a high-profile race leading up to the primary. Denish was unopposed, so fewer Democrats bothered to vote. I think they will have more motivation come November. I often don't bother to fill in the oval when a candidate is unopposed even when I'm voting for other offices and issues.

A lot of Dems are upset about corruption under Richardson and want a change. It will be up to these candidates to show how well they can deliver that change. Just being a member of the opposing party will not be enough to earn Democratic votes. Martinez will need to spend time currying favor with Democrats and that may turn off some Republicans. So far she's not off to a good start with me given some of her positions and personality, and the fact that so much of her campaign contributions have come from Texas.

Diane Denish advertises that she was born in New Mexico, but all I can find about Martinez is that she was born in the Rio Grande Valley. Since she doesn't say New Mexico I could assume she was born in Colorado, Texas, or Mexico. Should we ask to see the birth certificate? What if she's an illegal alien? The way she ranted and raved against illegals in the debate gave me that "the lady doth protest too much" feeling.

Last edited by aries63; 06-09-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Dude, she was born in Texas. (El Paso) according to the news.. No illegal, no mexican.. she is of spain/spanish origin.
Her platform is against illegal immigration and giving them benefits such as scholaships, food stamps and so fourth....

Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post

And believe this or not, many latinos are as well. They can pretty much control the election in NM. This is not to be taken as a racist statement I want to add. I am only pointing out, being latino will help her and being a hispanic conservative will even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico