U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-20-2010, 11:18 PM

3,460 posts, read 3,125,291 times
I'm sure LC gets our Channels and El Paso's......
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:37 AM

I CANT HELP IT. EVERYONE ALL OVER THE STATE IS TALKING ABOUT IT.
Even my friend Will from Nevada called me and asked if it was true....

Here is the NEW Denish ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_Fr...eature=related

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM

13,276 posts, read 5,922,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I'm sure LC gets our Channels and El Paso's......
Off-topic, however, I will respond: depends on whose service one utilizes for TV I think. I have DishNetwork and I had the choice of getting the El Paso feed or the ABQ feed when I got the service. I chose El Paso for the reason that Mike noted - proximity. Knowing what is going on in El Paso and my surrounding area on a regular basis is much more relevant to me than knowing what is going on in ABQ.

Unread 10-21-2010, 01:07 PM

79 posts, read 111,373 times
Off-topic.....

Bradly, from Comcast.com for zip 88001 (Lost Causes)

2 KRWG (PBS)
3 KDBC (CBS)
4 KOAT/ Shop NBC/ CET
5 QVC
6 KCOS (PBS)
7 KVIA (ABC)
8 KFOX (Fox)
9 KTSM (NBC)
10 KINT
11 KTDO
12 XEPM
13 KTFN
14 KVIA 2
15 WGN America

The only ABQ channel is KOAT. I found it annoying to only watch KOAT for my desire to know what was occurring in my home state. At times the El Paso stations pretty much only covered El Paso.

Yes it does make sense and is only natural that LC and ELP are linked for news. Just like it makes sense that Santa Fe (read Gov/legislature), for the most part, only recognizes the "southern" border of NM being at ~1 mile south of Highway 380, where highway 380 does not continue east and west the border assumes a horizontal line. Some contend this border as being just south of Albuquerque, yet others humorously think the border is that of what was given in our statehood back in 1912.

On a similar note, I think Alamogordo might get a more mixed set of "local" news stations, but Charter Communications' website is being stupid and doesn't find services for zip 88310 (Alamogordo's zip). Google searching doesn't even hit for Charter Comm/Charter Pipeline being in Alamogordo.

Being a Cruces resident of 7 years (2002-2009) I didn't hear much good about Susana. Obviously didn't hear much good about Denish either. That said, though I live in ABQ now it'll be nice, barring all the political BS, for NM to be represented from the southern portion of the state for a change.

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,774,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
New Mexico law does not allow the recall of state officials.
Can you say "referendum"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Get used to saying Governor Martinez.
Not so fast, bub.

Recent research shows that the rapid growth in cell-phone-only households (even since 2008) is potentially making polling less and less accurate and biased more towards Republicans. Several of my liberal friends and I have ditched the landline in the last couple of years. I'm hoping there may be a surprise in November across the country. Even The Economist in a recent article said "only old ladies answer the phone" now, and of the people who do, fewer and fewer agree to take a survey (down to about 15%). This makes outcomes harder to predict.

The average of polls right before the 2008 presidential election showed Obama winning New Mexico with 52% of the vote. He actually won with 57%. I don't see why polling should be more believable this time around.

If Susie does pull off the win, maybe she'll show some of her Democrat roots. When exactly did she switch to Republican?

Unread 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM

887 posts, read 526,931 times
My wife and I haven't had a land line in two years.
Our three grown children, haven't had land lines for longer than that.

So really, who knows?

Steve

Unread 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM

708 posts, read 803,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Can you say "referendum"?
Can you say "aries63 does not know New Mexico law?"

The New Mexico constitution does not allow for the recall of elected state officials - period, no exceptions.

You cannot recall an elected person through a referendum. Besides, the New Mexico constitution allows only a very limited use of referendums, applicable to a very narrow range of laws (and then it must occur prior to the next legislative session after the law was passed, and be supported by petitions signed by more than 10% of registered voters). Also, the New Mexico constitution does not allow voter based initiatives to amend the state constitution. All proposed constitutional amendments must be placed on the ballot by the legislature.

If you think I am wrong, please provide applicable NM constitutional or statutory references.

Unread 10-21-2010, 06:16 PM

79 posts, read 111,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Recent research shows that the rapid growth in cell-phone-only households (even since 2008) is potentially making polling less and less accurate and biased more towards Republicans. Several of my liberal friends and I have ditched the landline in the last couple of years. I'm hoping there may be a surprise in November across the country. Even The Economist in a recent article said "only old ladies answer the phone" now, and of the people who do, fewer and fewer agree to take a survey (down to about 15%). This makes outcomes harder to predict.
My corrections are in italics, nor am I an old lady but an almost 29 y.o. moderate male.

Recent research shows that the rapid growth in cell-phone-only households (even since 2008) is potentially making polling less and less accurate and unbiased towards any particular political party. Several of my moderate and conservative friends and I have ditched the landline in the last couple of years. I'm hoping there may be a surprise in November across the country.

I haven't had a land line since 2004. Assuming you're college educated, were you awake during experimental statistics?
  • sampling errors
  • insufficient vs sufficient sample set
  • stats can be turned and manipulated to reflect what is wanted, even if the raw results don't suggest such.
There go your assumptions that:
  • only liberals have ditched land-lines
  • republicans are old, apparently of female gender

Unread 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,779,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsofNM View Post
My corrections are in italics, nor am I an old lady but an almost 29 y.o. moderate male.

Recent research shows that the rapid growth in cell-phone-only households (even since 2008) is potentially making polling less and less accurate and unbiased towards any particular political party.
Based on the link, I'd say, after reading it, that this was an incorrection; there was nothing in the article to support your claim, and your combination of anecdotal evidence and lecturing did nothing to bolster your argument. If you have a reputable basis, you'd do your argument credit by citing it.

Unread 10-22-2010, 08:37 AM

On that debate last night.. I want to know why Diane acts like a little girl.

Judging on that debate, I'm really voting for Susana.. such a professional apperance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico