Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

"So you grew up in New Mexico..Do white people live there? Do you have to know spanish to live there? And does McDonalds really sell a Green Chile double cheesburger on their dollar menu?"

Put aptly. Yes, no and yes.

I grew up on the westside of Albuquerque in a (relative for NM) middle class Hispanic family.

Spanish? I don't really speak it. I only know what I learned in high school. My hispanic friends? Don't speak it either. What about my parents? My dad never taught me and my mom doesn't speak it at all.

I'm losing my culture, my native tongue, even my entire heritage it seems. I don't have the seemingly inherent bias hang out with my own skin color. Mexican/Spanish ideas and culture? It's there no doubt, but do I identify with it? Hardly.

The same goes for each race from white to black, all my friends have agreed. Sure the culture is there, but it holds very little significance where I'm from. Blacks party with whites. Hispanic-Americans date Anglo-Americans. African-Americans befriend Latinos.

This must be wrong, I thought. Everywhere else people are proud (and even extreme) to exclaim and represent their race. Neighborhoods are populated entirely by only a certain ethnic group. But here? Na. And just when I realized how much I thought I let down my culture and lost my heritage I came to an epiphany.

THIS is what the forefathers meant by liberty and equality for all. Perhaps this cultural assimilation and growing tolerance to all lifestyles taking place here in NM is the pinnacle socially for our American culture. Our generations, from generation x on up, have grown up in a place where racism, like race, is there but entirely mixed up to the point that its barely existent. Maybe that's why many people who move out of state seem to always move back. The way we live here, from our ideas and values, to the way we live our daily lives is different..in a good way. So look out world, we New Mexicans got a different mindset (and dialect as I've heard).

And all this in a state the grand majority of America doesn't know exists.

Good. This is OUR unknown land of enchantment. And this is our unknown developing cultural identity.

Shoutout from NMSU, Go aggies!

Peace,

G.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Great post! You write like someone many of us would like to know personally.

Unfortunately, I do know a few "native-born" residents who have LARGE CHIPS on their shoulders, and have no use for people who aren't of their same belief system/culture.

That having been said, I think the majority of us (native born or not) share your perspective.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:26 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,665 times
+2 Great Post!!

Steve

Old 06-12-2010, 12:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Very well said! The cultural mix is one of the reasons why I want to live in NM. I'm not expecting everyone to be so accepting, but as long as most are, I'll be happy.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,478 times
Thanks everybody appreciate the input! And jaxart your completely right. I'd be lying if I tried to pretend like certain racial prejudices weren't there, unfortunately it exists everywhere. I just had never realized how different it was in other places like Chicago or even Dallas until I had visited/lived there.

BTW Catman where in Fort Worth do you live? Have you heard of Flower Mound?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times
If I were a NM native and watched while thousands upon thousands of people from other states moved in without any appreciation or understanding of my culture -- or worse, said my culture was "backward" or even "quaint", or applied any label to it at all -- I would definitely have a huge chip on my shoulder (and before I am jumped on, I'm not saying we non-natives are all like that). That I have been shown so much hospitality by native New Mexicans I find truly astonishing.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If I were a NM native and watched while thousands upon thousands of people from other states moved in without any appreciation or understanding of my culture -- or worse, said my culture was "backward" or even "quaint", or applied any label to it at all -- I would definitely have a huge chip on my shoulder (and before I am jumped on, I'm not saying we non-natives are all like that). That I have been shown so much hospitality by native New Mexicans I find truly astonishing.
As in most places, a little humility, politeness, and understanding goes a long way with the locals.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM

265 posts, read 873,661 times
In my recent travels thru NM, I happened to arrive at Ruidoso very tired and just wanting to check in to the motel and rest. I arrived at the front desk to be second in line of people checking in. The couple in front of me were loud and condescending to say the least. The lady behind the check in counter was Hispanic. The couple in front of me were Anglo like myself.

I am ashamed to say that the couple in front of me treated the Hispanic like a second class citizen. In spite of this, she said nothing and just checked them in. A touch of class in my opinion. I didn't say anything but just waited til they were gone and then also checked in. Nothing was said but i now feel like I should have said something about what happened.

Sometimes one is ashamed of ones own race. We need more understanding in this world. I hope someday to return to NM for a second visit and hopefully a better one.

Jim

Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I hope someday to return to NM for a second visit and hopefully a better one.

Jim
I don't know if you're trying to blame people of NM for your experience or not from your closing remark? According to your story, it was the OTHER TOURISTS ahead of you in line who caused your discomfort, and you don't say where they were from?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I am ashamed to say that the couple in front of me treated the Hispanic like a second class citizen. In spite of this, she said nothing and just checked them in. A touch of class in my opinion. I didn't say anything but just waited til they were gone and then also checked in. Nothing was said but i now feel like I should have said something about what happened.
Might have been worth a humorous remark to the clerk, but one tenet of good manners is you don't point out to others their shortcomings in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico