Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times

Advertisements

Sorry repins, but no more dogfighting over NM unless it is in Albuquerque with the "enchilada" guys and their F-16's up there!

This is a whole nother side of the military coming in. Choppers and C-130 gunships and guys who shoot really big GUNS and blow stuff up LOL!

Watch out prarrie dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 02:26 AM

24 posts, read 129,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
This is a whole nother side of the military coming in. Choppers and C-130 gunships and guys who shoot really big GUNS and blow stuff up LOL!

Watch out prarrie dogs!
100,000+ rounds of live ammo per month. I hope the locals don't mind things that go "boom" in the night. And I hope the noise that the aircraft make doesn't bother them either.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Great answer Winnie. Also I hope those prairie dogs got some ear muffs cause they are going to need 'em!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 AM

24 posts, read 129,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Great answer Winnie. Also I hope those prairie dogs got some ear muffs cause they are going to need 'em!
Ear muffs won't save them from night vision.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:59 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Look out prairie dogs, here they come!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonAdvon View Post
100,000+ rounds of live ammo per month. I hope the locals don't mind things that go "boom" in the night. And I hope the noise that the aircraft make doesn't bother them either.
Living here in Navarre, FL, next to Eglin, I can attest to the nighttime activities of the Air Force. Not Air Force ourselves, (though our daughter is an airforce wife), but we've learned to identify alot of the aircraft and ammo they use. It's kind of neat to see the tracers at night when the "boys" are out practicing. I also remember when they tested what I believe they called "Moab". They even warned the public ahead of time, so we wouldn't think we were being attacked! Talk about a "BOOM"! There aren't many nights when they don't practice. The folks in Clovis will get used to it, (even the cows will, eventually. You suppose it will throw them off of giving milk for awhile? ), but they will probably grouse about it, (the folks, not the cows. ). We have alot of newcomers in this area who gripe all the time, even in the newspaper, which I think is stupid, myself. Why the heck didn't these people do some research before they moved here? After all, Eglin has been here a heck of alot longer than they have. My husband and I have been here in Santa Rosa County for almost 27 years, and although I do get annoyed sometimes, (mostly when my whole house rattles and shakes, like when the helicopters fly right over the top of my house. Had three Apache helicopters come over this weekend. Good heavens, they were loud!), but I have sense enough not to make a too-doo over it. I guess in some ways, it's almost reassuring to see/hear that practice.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM

I must say that the people from Clovis are pretty used to loud noises and sleep deprivation.

the F-16 has a horrifically LOUD engine and it is a high hissing ANNNOYING sound. Then they have the "hush house" for engine runs in full afterburner, and it does not "hush" very well even in there LOL!

They also did surging at 2am, imagine 20-50 jets taking off ripping down the runway time after time. Then the ORIs Phase II's and stuff where the loudspeakers are blaring for three days straight - MOP level BLAH BLAH BLAH . Fun fun fun!!!! Those were the days!

But what they are NOT accustomed to is artillery or bombs - the range is well out of earshot for most.

Funny story from DH's time there (maybe not so funny )

One of the weapons troops was loading a bomb onto the wing and it slipped off its housing and dropped 6' onto the ground. Well the guy thought that it actually ARMED with the fall and all of a sudden DH hears "run you SOBs!!!!" and everyone is hauling a$$ off the flightline towards the base hotel.

Turns out the bomb was fine. But it was the day that a good part of Cannon was nearly blown to smithereens LMAO!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Cannon, killing prarrie dogs is community service LOL! Those suckers have been known to carry the plague, so if you do pop one of these suckers do not touch them. Might want to read the post here about Hantavirus and brief people new to the area about the pest issue and insect issue. Those coming with wives and kids really NEED to know that info and understand how important it is to keep a clean house and follow those infection control guidelines. I never saw a snake on base housing or even in Clovis, but there are mice (which carry Hantavirus - DEADLY!) and killer bees and black widows. I think I talked to CelticLady about them in another post.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Winnie,
I cracked up laughing at your story about the flightline! I woke my cat up, (she's laying on my desk). I'll have to read that to my husband.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,822 times
The difference is SpecOps doesn't "surge", it is shooting each and every night....helicopters and C-130s flying at low altitudes...while 16s are loud, they climb out and the noise quickly fades. The drone of the 130 will be ever present, as well as boom...boom...boom....boom

Old 09-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVALHALLA View Post
The difference is SpecOps doesn't "surge", it is shooting each and every night....helicopters and C-130s flying at low altitudes...while 16s are loud, they climb out and the noise quickly fades. The drone of the 130 will be ever present, as well as boom...boom...boom....boom
LOL! Yes, they are definately in for some surprise.

The people there are better than those at the last 2 bases we have been at, they complain if there is a "peep" out of the military base past 9 pm.

Interesting story is one from the past in NH's AD base. (It has been awhile so I am trying to recall the best I can - I think this was n the 70's) The town's people were really ticked at the military base's presence. Things got really bad at one point and the commander ordered everyone to get paid in cash. So he stamped every bill the troops there were paid with and told them to pay in cash downtown. Eventually all the shop owners began to see how much money they guys brought into the town (their drawers were full of stamped money) and what do you know? The attitude changed real quick.

That town should feel blessed to hear boom boom boom because if you guys weren't going there that little town would nearly fold over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico