Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,979,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
A swamp cooler creates humidity by adding water to the air. A dehumidifier does the opposite.

I would like to see evidence that this does anything other than blow air around and waste energy. It could be hot air, or it could be cold air.
"On my b'day, I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...so I put them in the same room and let 'em fight it out."

Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,182,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
"On my b'day, I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...so I put them in the same room and let 'em fight it out."

Steven Wright
Nice.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would like to see evidence that this does anything other than blow air around and waste energy.
On 2nd thought, the de-humidifier would have to remove mositure from the air faster than the swamp is putting it in. Now those swamps can blow a lot of air, so you may have a point, Rich. For the record, I've never actually tried the combo...

Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,600,860 times
Still resisting going up on the roof and dealing with the swamp cooler in Fanta Se. The temps have been pretty darned nice in the evening, so I might wait it out until Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,025,715 times
The way a dehumidifier works, there is a hot side and a cold side.
The cold side condenses water on it from the air and drips into a pan.
The hot side blows/radiates (depending on design) hot air into the room.
The net effect is to raise the temperature of the air in the room.

A dehumidifier would have a negligible effect (*) on the humidity and temperature if you are operating the the swamp cooler properly. One of the reasons swamp coolers are effective is that they make the air feel cooler due to air flow. The effectiveness comes from *both* the reduction in the temperature of the air *and* the extra movement of the air.

That's why when you don't have enough windows open, the swamp coolers don't work as well as they could be working.

(*) Note that you *could* operate a big enough dehumidifier and have the hot side hanging outside if the house to overcome the swamp cooler's conditioned air. Another name for such a system is "refrigerated air conditioner."

Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM

I formally withdraw my dehumidifier recommendation.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,851 times
Ok, so please educate this new Englander who has never even heard of a "swamp cooler." Is it essentially a glorified humidfier?

The builders we spoke with in Las Cruces were denigrating the swamp coolers, and said A/C is the way to go.

Opinions?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,182,800 times
Swamp coolers are great. We have A/C, but wouldn't turn down a free swamp cooler.

Here's another link:

http://www.opalcat.com/Information/swamp-coolers

Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,851 times
Thanks!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,781,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Ok, so please educate this new Englander who has never even heard of a "swamp cooler." Is it essentially a glorified humidfier?

The builders we spoke with in Las Cruces were denigrating the swamp coolers, and said A/C is the way to go.

Opinions?
Read the final paragraph in the second link.....the huge downside to swamp coolers.

I'd rather be shot than ever have to put up with those again. I'm looking at homes in two different places in NM, and both areas have swamp coolers almost altogether.

I grew up in nearby dry West Texas, and we had two swamp coolers in the house in the 1950s. Once we switched over to refrigerated air, that was it. I lived in a little garage apartment after I graduated college and went to work.

Never again, if I can help it. I hate the things. I was foolish enough to want to go back to those when I moved to NM....thank God the refrigerated was already installed.

What was I thinking?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico