Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

I think it's not that coyotes try to invade human areas but the population of humans is growing at such a tremendous rate that we're pushing into their regions or urban sprawl is pushing them out of one region into another. Also coyotes may be a species that adapts to humans somewhat like dogs because we leave out so much easy dinners for them - our chickens, rabbits, goats, small dogs, and cats and garbage.

Not in NM but one couple looked outside their window and thought it was real cute to see their puppy playing with a coyote pup. They watched the little pups playing and thought about getting the camera until they realized the pups were moving further down the driveway and then saw two adult coyotes on either side moving further down also. When they realized what was going on it was too late, the adult coyotes grabbed their puppy and there was nothing they could do.

Another couple knew there were coyotes coming around but never thought they'd get into the barn which they did and they killed all their smaller livestock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
The coyote/human interaction has increased due to both human encroachment in coyote territory and the expansion of coyote territory. Coyotes have expanded into territory that previously was not traditional coyote country, especially back east. Many wildlife experts point to a lack of coyote predators, and increased food supply due to a drop in said predators and human hunters. You can't say it's due solely to human encroachment. Coyotes are very adaptable and have found ways to survive in close proximity to humans.

That being said, you have much, much greater odds of being killed in a car wreck, through medical malpractice, being struck my lightning, or an airplane falling on you than being attacked by a coyote.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yeah, I think a lot of people have bobcat phobia. They almost never attack a human. And they are so beautiful.
We were in Sierra Vista AZ at a hotel off of Fry Blvd (the main drag) and came out one morning and at first we thought we were looking at a large cat; but as we looked at it for a few minutes; it became clear that it was a bobcat. A neat experience..... Certainly nothing to be frightened of and it was quite a beautiful animal.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I envy you. I wish I could have seen it. Didja get any photos?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Coyotes are another similarity between NM and NH. We have our share around here.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,553 times
Default Coyotes are OK just keep your small pets indoors

We used to take a morning walk in the desert every morning for years and very often encountered coyotes and coyote packs. It was always interesting and sporting for my dog to stalk and be stalked or have a good chase. When the old girl got old I would keep her close so they would not slip in behind her. It was good times and well worth the occasional bite in the ass.

My daughter was walking the dog in the neighborhood and saw a coyote crossing the street with a cat. Shortly after a guys comes running wanting to know which way he went looking suspiciously at her wolf-dog. It was funny until you think of the heartache someone was going to have over a lost family pet.

I have seen a coyote pack tree a bobcat. They never new where it went and were looking all over the ground.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:43 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Where I grew up in IL a coyote pack would occasionally come around and entertain our collie. When the moon was up enough to see what was going on, it appeared that they were running around playing tag. Coyotes are very fast, but so was our dog. Didn't seem to be any real animosity between them, and they never attacked. I know that coyotes sometimes kill and eat dogs, but I guess they like to "play" also.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
It probably depends on how big the dog is.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I imagine that if I moved into an area where coyotes were a major problem they would develop, the survivors anyway, a phobia about me. Get a nite vision scope for the rifle, put out some bait and wait for company. Shooting vermin is not a sport.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
If coyotes are well-fed and your dog looks/smells nice, they will more than just 'play' ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico