U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,433 times

Advertisements

We live in the St. Louis area, and I've had a job offer in New Mexico to manage a hotel in Taos or Ealges Nest. My employer is increasing his holdings. We have 2 small children and one in high school. What are the schools like?? What kind of employment opportunities could my husband expect to find? Shopping? Is it a good place to live with a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,025,884 times
Taos is a very small resort town, Eagles Nest is even smaller. I would strongly suggest that you visit the area first, some people love the lifestyle and others find it too difficult to adjust to.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,433 times
We had planned to visit before making a final decision. Just trying to get some preliminary info. I've been looking a school districts and other things online, hard to tell of course. Hoping a few people from the area can give me some opinions. Thanks so much.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,809,237 times
Eagles Nest is located in the boonies. Remote. Nearest real town is Taos which is
a small town with upscale and pricey Shoppes and few employment opportunities.

You really need to drop the bucks on a plane ticket and get out here ASAP to see what
these areas are like before making any decisions.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM

753 posts, read 964,066 times
If you live in Eagle Nest, you will have to shop in Taos, about 30 miles away through Taos Canyon. This can be dicey in the winter, although the state and counties take good care of the roads. There is a smallish food market in Angel Fire, 5-10 miles south of Eagle Nest. There is little other shopping in Eagle Nest and Angel Fire. Your husband may be able to find seasonal employment in the Eagle Nest area, but longer term employment will be problematic. Younger children from the area are bussed to schools in Cimarron, and Moreno Valley high school is in Angel Fire.

We have a second house in Angel Fire and are pretty familiar with the area because we're there quite a bit. There's also much info on the web about the area.

Since Eagle Nest and Angel Fire are primarily resort areas, property values are currently depressed, so housing should be comparatively inexpensive. Property values in Taos appear to be holding on.

I second Mike's recommendation about a personal visit. It's the only way to know what is best for you.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM

530 posts, read 772,130 times
NM schools as general rule of thumb are pretty poor. I don't know but I don't think there is a high school in Red River so your oldest will have to go to Questa.
Questa is an old, primarily hispanic cultured town about 20 miles north of Taos and also a tight-knit local community. In my experience, since they are tight-knit in Questa, don't expect them to be too welcoming. School will be culture shock for your kids and northern NM might be a culture shock for you in general.

Housing is very expensive when you compare it to the wages offered. I suggest your spouse do something not tied to the local economy or take his job with him if he can. Folks that make a million on the local enconomy in northern NM started out with 10 million.

When you visit, stay away from the touristy areas and focus on where you'd live and shop etc. See some typical rentals. Gas and food prices are typically more expensive than they are in Santa Fe and Santa Fe is typically more expensive than Albuquerque. Also, living in Taos is probably more expensive than most places in the midwest.

There's not much in the way for kids to do after school or during the summer up there. Other posters disagree with me but what I see in Taos is a place for Hollywood types to have their 3rd or 4th home, starving artists who eke out a living waiting tables and a few locals who are with the starving artists. The fact that you'll have a good job helps.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,809,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
There's not much in the way for kids to do after school or during the summer up there. Other posters disagree with me but what I see in Taos is a place for Hollywood types to have their 3rd or 4th home, starving artists who eke out a living waiting tables and a few locals who are with the starving artists. The fact that you'll have a good job helps.
FWIW, I agree with you completely. We have friends living there but they brought their
income with them.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM

753 posts, read 964,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
NM schools as general rule of thumb are pretty poor. I don't know but I don't think there is a high school in Red River so your oldest will have to go to Questa.
Questa is an old, primarily hispanic cultured town about 20 miles north of Taos and also a tight-knit local community. In my experience, since they are tight-knit in Questa, don't expect them to be too welcoming. School will be culture shock for your kids and northern NM might be a culture shock for you in general.
This is not true.

Elementary and middle school children from Eagle Nest are bussed to Cimarron schools. High school students can attend Moreno Valley HS, a charter school in Angel Fire, or Cimarron HS.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM

530 posts, read 772,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
This is not true.

Elementary and middle school children from Eagle Nest are bussed to Cimarron schools. High school students can attend Moreno Valley HS, a charter school in Angel Fire, or Cimarron HS.

I posted in my reply about Red River not Angel Fire. That was primarily because RR got stuck in my head. Which, by the way is a little off-topic.

Cimarron is about the same distance as Questa from Angel Fire so I could see busing kids to school there.

I don't know if they bus kids 40 or so miles from Red River to Cimarron verus a 10 mile trip to Questa but I could see them doing that.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,169 times
I live near Eagle Nest (only one Eagle). I helped start the Moreno Valley High School in Angel Fire and served on the local school board. My wife is an artist and owns a gallery in Angel Fire and is past president of the Chamber of Commerce there. After sixteen years, we know the area pretty well.

First, Moreno Valley HS (a charter HS) is a nationally ranked school based on the Newsweek rankings. Angel Fire has a popular ski area and resort, a first-class restaurant along with some other good ones, a grocery store, and many other amenities. We have a thriving arts community and in August host the Music From Angel Fire chamber music festival that is known around the country. The area is wonderful, but there is more snow here then St. Louis where I was born.

Second, yes, you do have to go to Taos every week or two for groceries and such -- the local store does not have the selection many of us want. They could not support that right now. Taos has skiing, sushi bars, art galleries, many hotels, art museums, and cultural sites galore. It has a branch of the University of New Mexico as well.

Finally, let me say this is a wonderful area. Angel Fire is a small town and we don't have a movie theater (but we do have movies outside weekly in the summer) or a bowling alley. But that is overshadowed by the wildlife and the people.

Please contact me if I can provide more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico