Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times

Advertisements

These heavy rains have brought out frogs which I'd never heard during the past 2 years of living here. I assume, from their "snoring" type song that they are leopard frogs but can't find them when searching out there at night with a flashlight. Anyone know more about these frogs? Do they bury deep in the mud and only return during a heavy rain? What happens to the tadpoles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,447 times
Default I recorded those sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
These heavy rains have brought out frogs which I'd never heard during the past 2 years of living here. I assume, from their "snoring" type song that they are leopard frogs but can't find them when searching out there at night with a flashlight. Anyone know more about these frogs? Do they bury deep in the mud and only return during a heavy rain? What happens to the tadpoles?
I would love to know the answer to this question, too. The sounds were so loud after a rainstorm that they woke me up. You can hear what I heard right here. My friends seem to think that I was hearing the desert spadefoot toad, and describe the sound as something like a sick duck.

Who has the answer?

~clairz

Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Default Official State Amphibian of New Mexico.

The New Mexico Spadefoot Toad (Spea multiplicata) is a species of American spadefoot toad found in the southwestern United States and Mexico. Like other species of spadefoot toad, they get their name from a distinctive spade-like projections on their hind legs which enable them to dig in sandy soils. Some sources also refer to the species as the Mexican Spadefoot Toad, Desert Spadefoot Toad or Southern Spadefoot Toad.

Spending most of its time buried in the ground, the spadefoot emerges during periods of summer rainfall to feed on insects and to breed

More reading:
New Mexico Spadefoot Toad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember seeing frogs years ago in various parts of the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
You can hear what I heard right here. My friends seem to think that I was hearing the desert spadefoot toad, and describe the sound as something like a sick duck.

Who has the answer?

~clairz
~clairz, they can be pretty loud... Good video/audio.

Rich

Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
When we lived out at Pueblo Pintado on the Chaco culture part of the Navajo reservation, these toads would lay dormant underground for ages to emerge after the monsoon rains. The tadpoles metamorphosized quickly before the puddles dried up again. Their song is an incredible sound to hear out on the desert.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM

206 posts, read 535,019 times
We got 'em down here on the Az. border also. After a rain, they start screaming their heads off.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Default What about these monsoonal little Spadefoot Toads?

The heavy monsoons brought the little American Spadefoot Toads up from underground. Had never seen them before. Have been rescuing the tadpoles from the dried up ponds and transferring them to ponds with water so they can complete their life cycle. Anyone know about these cute little guys---how long it takes for them to develop enough to dig down into the mud, for example?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks much for the info! Anyone know how deep they typically go underground? How long do they take to drop their tadpole tails? The ones here have hind legs, some with fore legs, but still with tales--have been around for several weeks already.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I thought the thread title was a typo and the thread was about the monsoonal fogs. This is cool anyway.

We have been having a rain shortage (only 5 in. in 5 months) in southern NH and the sound of the frogs is missing. Kind of miss the noisy little beggars.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM

462 posts, read 1,008,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
The heavy monsoons brought the little American Spadefoot Toads up from underground. Had never seen them before. Have been rescuing the tadpoles from the dried up ponds and transferring them to ponds with water so they can complete their life cycle. Anyone know about these cute little guys---how long it takes for them to develop enough to dig down into the mud, for example?
They are really cute. It sounds like the same ones that we have in Eastern New Mexico. Out here, there is 1 or 2 that reside in the large backyard. They are bad about getting in the street (in this residential neighborhood). They are really fat little things.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Listened to Clairz's audio of these frogs but mine don't sound quite like that! Mine don't do the standard "ribbit" either but make more or a snoring sound. Will have to do more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico