Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,592,455 times

Advertisements

Dracul, I'd say a good place to purchase palms would be Guzman's Garden centers/Color Your World in Las Cruces ....they have a good selection ....

Truth Or Consequences area IMO has a really good micro climate ...it probably has to do with proximity of the lakes and Mtns ....it's low temps are significantly higher (milder) than areas just a few miles north (and even south) ...coldest low temp this past winter was 17 degrees

I agree with 6/3, they shud plant palm trees around the lakes, to me the area has huge potential...maybe with the Spaceport coming things will start to pick up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM

717 posts, read 1,949,397 times
From what my realtor friends tell me the proposed NASCAR track and associated extensive infrastructure should rapidly transform TorC/elephantbutte. We shall see. I agree...the lakes need about 200k in palm groves here and there to spice things up! Thanks for the lead, I'll use it soon!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,300,700 times
Oh, we just had a palm tree removed and we don't live in NM but our home came w/ one and it needs to be pruned once a year and if it doesn't get taken care of, it creates a awful mess. So it costs maintenance! We had it removed for 400.00, got a great deal and we are sooooooo happy it is gone. We got 3 trees planted just this morning and are so happy w/ the selection from the nursery. They helped us pick trees that were good for allergies, wouldn't create a mess and long term wouldn't grow too out of control regarding roots. Speak w/ the nursery before making a purchase.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,975,437 times
Dracul-when you are at the nurseries in Las Cruces you can speak with them about the best palms out of LRUA's list for T oc C, all that were named would survive well but some may be better or more suited for T or C and require less care.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks Desert Sun. I'll certainly heed your advice. Palms generally are very slow growing, at least the species I've grown up with in Hawai'i. I'll probably want semi mature trees to be trucked up to my lot. I'll rent a back hoe and set them deep as necessary. THX

Old 06-23-2008, 03:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,975,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Thanks Desert Sun. I'll certainly heed your advice. Palms generally are very slow growing, at least the species I've grown up with in Hawai'i. I'll probably want semi mature trees to be trucked up to my lot. I'll rent a back hoe and set them deep as necessary. THX

the california and mexican fan palms grow really fast, but I wouldnt reccomend the mexicans palms just cause they get too much winter damage.The windmill palm is very hardy but requires more water.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Might want to ask EnjoyEP as he is very well knowledged on them also Dracul. Hows the Weight Gyms down there as you were going to give me a report before you injured your hand.....

6/3

Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 AM

Thanx folks...you're the best! As to the gyms...not much action besides Jungle Gym. Apparently the owner is a bit arbitrary on when she opens/closes the establishment. Not good. Place needs another kick-butt weight room...enter dracul and his house of pain! I'll be in TorC in about 3 weeks to check out available buildings for sale. Good bang for the buck it seems from here. 1,500 square/ft for around 100k or less. May be doing my tattooing out of my RV for awhile while I try to get the gym up and running. Hand is still partially disabled and continues to drive me nutzzzzz!!!! Can't draw the fine detail I need to for rigorous tattooing. Training my upper body like I haven't in ten years as a result of this injury. Doing dumbell wrist curls with a 115 pounder and one arm curls with 130 pounds! MY hand is only slowly improving though, despite the fact my arm is huge! Today I see my ortho surgeon to see about my options...wish me luck! Thanks again guys, you're a great group

Last edited by dracul; 06-24-2008 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Gimp hand slows me to a crawl

Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 AM

It's very frustrating to have so much diffficulty with simple everyday tasks. Despite the fact that I can bench press well in excess of 400 pounds for reps I have trouble turning a screw driver and grasping objects. I fumble everything it seems. I knock down items I try to reach for or use all day long. It can be quite irritating. After a few hours of this my temper gets pretty short. Yesterday I spilled several messy items in our kitchen and I wasn't happy (understatement). Nevertheless, I'm grateful I did not lose the arm or my life. My wife (an RN who coordinates veteran therapy options) works with severely disabled vets...many fresh from Iraq...and they have it far worse than I so I try not to complain about my gimpy hand and my many old injuries over much. But speaking as an artist who currently can't ply his trade...and adding to this the fact that I type so slowly now that only brief submissions are possible...this experience is doing a real number on my head...carpe diem.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Results from the Doc are not promising: looks like surgery is likely. Not happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico