Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM

22 posts, read 85,969 times

Advertisements

I have found land finally newr Grants. I know someone will mention something about crime but i am not concerned. The property in question is on route 53, 30 or 40 miles south of I-40.
What i like about it:
scenic locations nearby
100 miles from alb where i will probably work
trees
utilities and a reliable water supply

now I am a young man still learning how things work, and i only know one person who has ever bought vacant land and he is guiding me along this but I would like to know if there are any laws or procedures i should be aware of, or anything about the area that may influence my decision (except crime)
I am currently emailing the township hoping they can send me some proper maps and maybe a copy of the laws.
Thanks everyone
-jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
jhd8 reported:

> I have found land finally near Grants. ...The property
> in question is on route 53, 30 or 40 miles south of I-40.

Rt 53 only goes about 15 miles S of Grants then bends W
and never goes farther S, so perhaps you might want to
specify the location a little better.

> I am currently emailing the township hoping they can
> send me some proper maps ...

Have you considered just checking out the following:
Live Local Search or Google Maps
and especially TopoZone - The Web's Topographic Map, and more!

> 100 miles from alb where i will probably work

If you want to live there on that land, have you considered
working closer like in Grants or a ranch? Commuting to ABQ
would be a horrendous expense in time and money.

> ... am a young man still learning how things work, ...

So no matter how bad you screw up (if you do) you still
have time to fix things later.

> ... would like to know if there are any laws or procedures
> i should be aware of, ...

What is the carrying cost of the property? You should be
aware of that. You'll need to make a loan payment if you
are borrowing money. You'll also need to be able to pay
the taxes.

> the area that may influence my decision (except crime)

The area is awesome, but if you work in ABQ you'll never
have time to enjoy it. All your time off will be recovery, so
even on your days off you won't feel like doing anything.

Where will you live? You didn't say if the property has a
building or not.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Hey Jay ~ CONGRATULATIONS on finding your land!!! Glad to hear of another one with a dream coming true.

Keep us informed as you make your plans to build, etc.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM

>Rt 53 only goes about 15 miles S of Grants then bends W
and never goes farther S, so perhaps you might want to
specify the location a little better.
mile marker 57 on route 53 i guess i menat 30 miles south of grants, sorry

>Have you considered just checking out the following:
Live Local Search or Google Maps
and especially TopoZone - The Web's Topographic Map, and more!
yeah ive checked them, but havent had time to do so as thoroughly as i would like
> 100 miles from alb where i will probably work

I will be doing architectual/constuction work which is for the most part an occupation with a lot of travel. If all goes well maybe i would establish an office in Grants, all that is too far in the future to know for now, all i know is that for now i can deal with a long drive. I might work for a few days at a time then take a few days off to cut down on driving. 100 miles in NM is equal in time to my 30 mile commute here :P
> ... am a young man still learning how things work, ...

>So no matter how bad you screw up (if you do) you still
have time to fix things later.

well said but im trying to do it right the first time:P

>What is the carrying cost of the property? You should be
aware of that. You'll need to make a loan payment if you
are borrowing money. You'll also need to be able to pay
the taxes.

i know there are cetain laws in certain areas where its stated that you must build within a certain time frame or that you can only live in a temporary structure for so long. that would be a problem for me becuase i dont expect to build for 10-15 years. its things like these, and water drilling permits that would be important for me to know about. since im inexperienced in this feild those are the things i am trying to find out about to plan ahead.

if my investment is smart, the property value will inflate by more than my tax costs. so by buying it early it should save me $. good land is hard enough to find so i would like t grab it while i can. also , this is not a financial investment, its a place i would like to spend part of my life in.
also property taxes in NM are nothing compared to jersey. my family pays 10k a year for an average property. i can make the tax payments with no problem.

>The area is awesome, but if you work in ABQ you'll never
have time to enjoy it. All your time off will be recovery, so
even on your days off you won't feel like doing anything.
Where will you live? You didn't say if the property has a
building or not.

its a vacant lot to one day build my house on. i understand what youre saying about not having free time, and it is an impotant factor but what free time i have there will amount to much more than i get here. The lifestyle here is nuts and is what im trying to get away from. Im on my summer break and im holding 2 full time jobs in construction and architecture as well as doing some freelance work on the side. I have to work at home a few nights out of the week but still manage to explore and relax. of course i am still in my youth but in the future i wont be working 2 full time jobs. i think that if i am on and off a few days at a time ill manage. plus i have my whole life to see everything around me, thats the point!

well thanks for making me think about a few more things, thats why i posted this cause i know im missing a lot of things tha ti shoul dbe thinking of

Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Towanda- thanks a lot!! i havent bought it yet but there are 20 or so parcels available and the deal is just pending a visit to see it for myself!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
I have driven thru that area on RT 53 ...I drove east from Zuni Pueblo to where it hooks up with I-40 at Grants ...approx halfway is El Morro National Monument ....and farther east near the continental divide is Bandera Crater and Ice Caves ....where exactly is your property in relation to those places ?....it sounds to me that it is between El Morro and Bandera ? ...very nice country ... though ABQ would be a very long commute ...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
jhd8 responded:

> > Rt 53 only goes about 15 miles S of Grants ...

> mile marker 57 on route 53 i guess i menat 30 miles
> south of grants, sorry

right, but what I was saying is that Rt 53 does not
go 30 mi S of Grants. It goes 30 miles outside of
Grants, so perhaps you mean that it is 30 mi along
Rt 53 which makes it about 20 miles SW of there.

That would put it somewhere between Paxton Springs
and El Morro.

> > Have you considered just checking out ... online maps ...

> yeah ive checked them, but havent had time to do so
> as thoroughly as i would like ...

It seems like you would get better information quicker
going on line than writing for maps to come in the mail.

> I will be doing architectual/constuction work which ...
> maybe i would establish an office in Grants, ...
> its a vacant lot to one day build my house on. ...

As most of the moving advice in these forums say;
why don't you move and then buy later? Why not get
a place in Grants which is close to where you want to
buy and then work from there.

You might decide that, after being here a while that
you really like it better near Silver City (just to make up
a name) and you might wish you had waited to buy.

Property deals are like busses; there will be another one
along sooner or later. While in Grants you can establish
your career while learning about real estate and raw land
here in NM and in the Grants area.

Lots of people make lots of money in real estate, but lots
of people lose it too. The ones that make money know
what they are doing and that takes time.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:52 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,912 times
Look into the water rights situation now because there is some laws going into effect in NM about this. It has something to do with how long you have had a well in place and if the water table goes lower, your access depends on when you drilled your well. I am sorry to be so sketchy on this but I haven't paid too much attention to it. Maybe somebody can help us out on this. It seems to me that when I heard this debate it led me to believe that it would be better to drill a well sooner than later even if you have no plans to build any time soon. If you did drill now for instance and decided to sell later, it does help to have the well in place. It is not a dollar for dollar return. I think a well would increase interest in your property but only add about $5000.00 above the cost of the well (which is pricey especially with copper prices going higher). I know you don't want to sell this land but since you are young, you want to have a way of getting out of something just in case. Also, remember it is hard for people to get loans on vacant land. Often the interest rate is higher so it does limit your buying pool. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 AM

14 posts, read 92,140 times
I just bought a 5 acre lot in Pine Meadows, so, I've been going through the process myself. This is a first for me too. I've collected a bit of info, so if I can help in any way I'd be glad to.
The biggest problem I've had is getting an address assigned to the lot. The county assesors office has an answering machine and they don't return calls.
Our property is about 45 mi. out of Grants off Hwy. 53. We are moving out there next month.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:33 AM

thanks everyone
i studied some maps found out that getting water should be no problem, but getting a permit might be.. im not too sure but my guess is based on the fact that the property is on private land surrounded by national parks and BLM land. Ive spent a bit of time researching the blm and i see a lot of info on how they sell public land, but nothing clear about procurement so i dont know if i ever have to worry about that.
babsrocker- how is mail delivered, im curious because it is right off a highway, but is still 25-30 miles out of town (driving distance)
also do the kids get a bus to school or do the parents have to arrange transportation?
kimk-exactly.. im hoping that there is always someone who would want to live in such close proximity to zuni bandera and el malpais and everything else in the area. ive got to find out a little bit more about whether the land is going to at least retain its value, then i have an escape plan if something should go wrong.
mortimer- youve got a point but my reasoning and intentions are a little different than most other people. im at the point where i need to get started with my life and if the land retains its value then i have very little to lose by taking a risk and seeing where it leads me. as it stands all i have to lose is money and the reason im moving out west is because id like a life not centered around money like it is in jersey
anyway babsrocker- if youve got any advice/info/help id love to hear it
for those who asked more specifically where is it it is off porter ranch road, mile marker 57 on route 53
coordinates for google earth
lat- 34°56'43.82"N
long-107°59'52.61"W
land it self doesnt seem that scenic but check out the surroundings haha on google earth with geographic features and parks turned on- youll see what i mean about the government boundaries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico