U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 PM

253 posts, read 1,224,297 times

Advertisements

Has human habitat in the desert of So NM brought mosquitos with it? Golf courses, fake lakes, fountains, etc. Have you noticed a change within the past 15 years or so, or is it yet to come? When I moved to Tucson in the early 90s mosquitos were unheard of - ten years later I suffered swarms of ankle biters every evening, leaving dozens of welts around my ankles and feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 AM
TKO

714 posts, read 1,491,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Has human habitat in the desert of So NM brought mosquitos with it? Golf courses, fake lakes, fountains, etc. Have you noticed a change within the past 15 years or so, or is it yet to come? When I moved to Tucson in the early 90s mosquitos were unheard of - ten years later I suffered swarms of ankle biters every evening, leaving dozens of welts around my ankles and feet.
They've been in Cruces as long as I have at least ('79). The further you get from the valley the less of them that you find. They generally don't appear till the monsoons, so half of the summer they're not around. There is no shortage of them though. Go near the river in the morning or evening from July 1 on, for the most part, and you need OFF.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 PM

228 posts, read 512,573 times
I haven't seen a mosquito since leaving Michigan for San Diego almost 25 years ago. Las Cruces was considered for a move but not now.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
TKO

714 posts, read 1,491,444 times
I should add that there is vector control and they spray for them. In most of the residential areas they're not so bad as that.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM

505 posts, read 665,114 times
We lived in Carlsbad. The only people I knew that had mosquitos were people in neighborhhods where the lawns were watered all the time. My guess is that there were containers of stagnant water setting around.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,818 times
Default Looking for Information

My wife and I currently live in NH and are thinking of moving out west. Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on where to look based on what we are looking for, which is:
Lots of sunshine(300 days + /year)
Minimal biting insects
Not in the plains, we need to be somewhat in the woods
Good hunting and fishing opportunities (we are both avid bow , black powder and turkey hunters.)
Semi-rural area, where it might be possible to buy 20-50 acres affordably, close enough to a town with a medical center/hospital, my wife is a physical therapist. Iím a carpenter.

If anyone has any ideas, we are all ears.
Thank you

Richard

Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,447,753 times
Hey Richard,

Look into the Silver City area. Lots of good hunting opps in the Gila wilderness area if you can get drawn out in NM hunting lottery system. If not you can sometimes find a tag at resonable cost trough landowners.

Use the search function for Silver City and read troungh some of the old threads.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico