Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 12,337 times

Advertisements

Whats in Shiprock? Am in the healthcare field and thinking about moving there. Anyone know much about the area and what its like? Any other healthcare workers out there that would like to comment? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 AM

977 posts, read 1,948,596 times
Shiprock is on the Navajo reservation so there isn't really anything there. A few restaurants, that's it. Pretty much anything in the way of activity would be in Farmington, 35 miles east.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM

186 posts, read 637,942 times
I agree with Cyborg's above post. If you're interested in Shiprock, you are probably going to be spending most of your time in either Farmington (about 30 minutes to the East) or Gallup (about an hour to the South).

Shiprock is the largest 'city' on the reservation. It has a few fast food places (Sonic, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Thataburger [local] and so on). The Shiprock-Kirtland-Farmington-Bloomfield-Aztec region pretty much blends in to one when looking at the larger scheme of things. Most of this area will venture to Farmington to shop for groceries, for clothes, etc and also for entertainment (movies, food, bars/clubs, etc).

I grew up in this area and if you are not from this area (the Four Corners area) it can be a huge culture shock - whether it be because of the culture, the poverty, the geography, or a mixture of all ot if. If you don't know what you're getting yourself in to, you may be in for a rude awakening.

However, the best advice is to go check it out yourself and see what you think of it. Best of luck to whatever you decide.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,337 times
Default Thanks for the information.

Im from Arizona, Ive experienced somehwat of the poverty and the geographical layout, culture similar to what you describe; Im the type of person that can adapt pretty well. Sometimes Ive suprised myself. I would be coming from Kansas as I have lived in Kansas the last 20 years (I met my husband in Arizone and he brought me to Kansas). Im ready for a change and so is he. There is a great need for medical services and primary care and teaching that needs to be done. Thanks again for the comments/feedback.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
Default Shiprock And The Area

I might be working temporarily in Shiprock. Housing there seems hard to come by. Am I better off in Kirtland or Farmington as far as safety? I am a woman traveling alone.
Thanks!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,974,220 times
I WOULD NOT EVEN EVER THINK OF LIVING IN SHIPROCK. It is all Native American (Navaho) res.
Farmington does not have that good of a rep either.

I would if I had to, drive the drive and live in Cortez, Co.

I did a lot of Census work up that way...day time only..

The wild wild west is very much alive up there...Just call the local sheriff and get the report.

Be careful.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,002,135 times
We were in that area a few months ago.

I liked Farmington, and it felt safe.

I REALLY liked Aztec the most, though.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,737,029 times
I've got a friend living in Farmington and he's never expressed any significant safety concerns..

Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,724,108 times
I spent 10 years teaching on the Navajo reservation in northwestern NM & found the Navajo to be some of the most peaceful, non-threatening folks, as a group. Shiprock is not Navajo reservation, although it is surrounded by reservation.

Like Towanda, I personally like the town of Aztec the best in that area.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM

52,275 posts, read 34,027,946 times
the drive from aztec would not be fun, though. try kirtland/fruitland or the western part of farmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico