Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM

70 posts, read 213,671 times

Advertisements

We are presently in packing hell. Traveling light is a chalange for a pack-rat like me. As an Art teacher I save everything. The big problem on this car trip will of course be the boys. Harley and Thai are their names. Harley is the Beagle from hell and Thai, a Border Collie, just deals with it. we are leaving in a week. Shipping a few boxes and buying used furniture because its cheaper than shipping. A friend is moving into our house and we are not selling yet. It's not a good time.
"The Adventures of Harly the Beagle" will continue. He escaped from the yard one night during fooball season. The Eagles were not doing well. My husband fell asleep. After a 1/2 hour he woke up and ran to let the dog in. The gate was open and Harley was gone. The driveway was dark and you couldn't see anything. My husband called and called. Suddenly he saw a large white pizza box walking up the drive. He became suspicous and followed the box which was not hard to catch. Harley had found a neighbor's empty pizza box and eaten his way in. His very large head became wedged inside and he couldn't get it off. His nose gets him into more trouble! Bacich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,000,094 times
One of the things I worried about the most when we moved was how our two dogs were going to do on the long ride in the truck from Kansas City to Santa Fe.

They were great! They either looked out the window or slept. Only at the very beginning of the trip were they overly excited, then they settled right in. We were kind of amazed.

I hope your two dogs will do as well as ours did.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,572,644 times
Big appitite and small brain gets lots of creatures in trouble. Try and enjoy the move by laughing at the difficulties.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 AM

28 posts, read 89,389 times
Hi Bacich

Good luck on your move!! I presently live in South Jersey and work in Phila. and will be moving to NM in January. Any tips you can share on your move and trek across country (I too am planning to drive) will be greatly appreciated!! Hope all goes well!!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,287,579 times
What part of NM are you moving to?
My dog and parrot traveled fine. The dog either looked out the window or slept.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM

429 posts, read 1,472,549 times
We will be heading out shortly for our trek to NM from Seattle - a friend of mine recommended we get our guy some homeopathic stuff called Rescue Remedy - supposed to calm them down naturally. Bear is almost 12 and extremely arthritic - he doesn't get too excited these days - except at hot air balloons. We had two come thru in front of our place and I know he thought we were being invaded. Very excited at that prospect. wink-wink

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:13 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,287,579 times
The rescue remedy works wonders. We have a lab mix, highly energetic and put some into a snack. It kept her calm. We also put some into the parrots water.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM

70 posts, read 213,671 times
We're moving to the Zuni Pueblo to teach. They have housing at low cost for the staff. Check it out by going to Zuni Pueblo Schools. They both got their shots and exams today. I was told that there is a lot that can infect a dog on the Rez. They also had to have papers stating that they were fixed. I could make quite a joke from that. Thanks for the medicine advice. We would only need it for Thai, Harley is not bothered by anything but the fire engines. The minute they race by with sirens blasting, we pause. I holler wait for it. Then he picks up his big old head and howls just like the siren. Bacich

Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM

429 posts, read 1,472,549 times
Oh my - our Lab mix does the same thing - he howls like a banshee. Before his buddy, Ben, passed away, they would both howl their heads off and then when the sirens had passed they would bump chests just like they were high-fiving each other for 'chasing them away'. Hysterical! Nothing like two 100lb dogs howling their heads off at 2 am in the middle of a KOA. I'm surprised we weren't shot... *I* wanted to shoot us.

We may try the Rescue Remedy - at least have it on hand, but Bear is really a GREAT traveler. Just gets a bit undone when we get to a campsite and there's no 'swimming hole'. You can just see the glare... "I traveled for how long for what? A dry, camp? Really???"

Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM

127 posts, read 553,729 times
Congratulations on your move to Zuni Pueblo. It's been raining here for the past 4 days. We are starting our summer rain dances, so you can probably catch some dances. We will be having the Zuni Fair on August 28-31, so you can enjoy the food and dances. Plus the 87th Inter-Tribal Gallup Indian Ceremonial will begin in August. You are probably going to the new teacherage housing. They are really nice. What are you going to be teaching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico