U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,596,130 times

Advertisements

This might be a good resource

New_Mexico_Mycological_Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:21 PM

7,041 posts, read 7,230,610 times
There are definitely Morels and false Morels. I find them all the time (in Morel hunting terms). The most common edible that I find (in northern NM) is the King Bolete. Not my favorite but many people love them...

Check out this report site: http://www.morelmushroomhunting.net/...rch_report.cfm and enter 'New Mexico' in the search box.

Mushrooms Demystified is not specific to New Mexico (or the Southwest for that matter) but every budding mushroom enthusiast should have it.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 10-12-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM

49 posts, read 62,740 times
Found this New Mexico Mycological Society

It is very interesting. Wonder if there are any members in Otero Co, or close by.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are definitely Morels and false Morels. I find them all the time (in Morel hunting terms). The most common edible that I find (in northern NM) is the King Bolete. Not my favorite but many people love them...

Check out this report site: Morel Mushroom Report and enter 'New Mexico' in the search box.

Mushrooms Demystified is not specific to New Mexico (or the Southwest for that matter) but every budding mushroom enthusiast should have it.
Thanks, I had been told that the answer was no. Glad you can find them.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,294,994 times
Great news! I wasn't a mushroom hunter all the years I've lived in NM but became so up here in Alaska. Kings are a favorite of ours in our woods up here. we even dry them for spaghetti sauce in winter. I look forward to picking kings when we get back home down there. But hey- I would rather have morels or oyster mushrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Check out this report site: Morel Mushroom Report and enter 'New Mexico' in the search box.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
This site may help you:
Fungi species

One book it mentions, of which I know nothing, is 'Mushrooms Demystified.'

This seems a good year for mushrooms in Colorado, possibly areas of New Mexico as well?
Thanks for the listings, I will be able to look them up when i get the books, they are on the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico