Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I see Cuba st between 1st and 10th is getting ready for a major overhaul also.
One of the cross-streets to the PO (either HI or AK) is so tooth-rattling that I just avoid them whenever possible, LOL!! Not so great on suspension and tires, either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:58 AM

11 posts, read 44,772 times
anybody to reply? to my question?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseeride View Post
anybody to reply? to my question?
I'll try but i'm not sure if i understand completely what your asking??

You ask about the university in Alamogordo...do you mean NMSU as the main campus is in Las Cruces about 75 miles to the west. Alamogordo has a branch of NMSU but it's not very large.

Section 8 is the government so i doubt if any of us can answer that but there are section 8 housing there on 1st street if thats what your asking.

Will your sons like alamogordo....i don't know but there are parks all around the city and the mountains are right next to it where alot of kids like to go intertubing on the snow up there etc... as it depends how many friends they meet and what not but remember Alamogordo is not a large city so it will not have all the big city amenities that larger cities have for kids.

Will you get help from the college because you are hispanic....i do not know as that really isn't a concern out here no matter what your race is so i assume they'll treat you just like anybody else out here. If your low income you may qualify for studen loans but that is a government program with the school.

Did that help any .......

Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 10,447 times
Question Thinking of moving to Alamogordo

I have been looking at listings online in the over $200,000 range and find that few homes have pools (which is my bribe to get my 11-year-old to move). Is this because the communities have pools or having a pool in that area is not considered worthwhile?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I think there is a public pool, and if you had your own pool, it would evaporate like crazy. You'd have a huge water bill.

(Nobody bribed me when I was 13 and had to move!)

Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi Mam......I'm not sure how many houses have pools but the water drought over the last 10 years has really had an bad effect on the area. Water rates are very high so having a pool might be tough on your water statement not to mention the electricity to power the pool recirc/filter pump as energy costs have also gone up.

There is a public pool at Washington park and also an indoor/outdoor pool at the Alamo Rec Center.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,447 times
Default Thinking of moving to Alamogordo

Thanks for the responses. Moving from the cold northeast I thought much of the warm southwest homes had pools. I have always wanted one, but did not think it worthwhile in Connecticut. Why is it that there are so many homes with pools in the Phoenix suburbs? Wouldn't they have the same issues?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam1996t View Post
Why is it that there are so many homes with pools in the Phoenix suburbs? Wouldn't they have the same issues?
Well Phoenix can get to 115 degrees in the summer months where as Alamo usually gets up to 98 degrees which is still hot but not like Phoenix.

Someone can correct me if i wrong but i believe Phoenix gets its water from the large Colorado River and also the huge reservoir Lake Powell. Alamo gets it's water from Bonito Lake in the nearby mountains and local wells which are running dry do to the decade long drought. It used to get water also from Tuli and La Luz creeks which now run dry

Anyway Mam i'm not trying to discourage you from moving to Alamogordo as i really dig Alamo (my favorate nm city) and the surrounding Mountains there but just wanted to give you my thoughts on the water situation there.

6/3

Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mam1996t View Post
I have been looking at listings online in the over $200,000 range and find that few homes have pools (which is my bribe to get my 11-year-old to move). Is this because the communities have pools or having a pool in that area is not considered worthwhile?
Water is high.....and you are required to cover your pool offseason...and maybe even when you're not using it during the summer (but I'm not positive about the last).

They are very expensive to maintain, and your water/power bills will be a lot higher than otherwise.

I turned down otherwise acceptable homes here that were wonderful other than the fact that they had a pool, which I personally consider a nuisance!!

The only outdoor pool I know of is at the Family Rec Center, a 50-yarder that is covered during the winter for indoor swimming. They remove the cover sometime in May, and leave it off until school starts.

Harry: I don't think that the old pool at Washington Park is used at all these days.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Harry: I don't think that the old pool at Washington Park is used at all these days.
Thanks for the update on Washington Park pool Cathy.....i remember last summer when i was in Alamo and it was hot and some of the motels didn't have any water in their pools. I wonder what happened to the desalinization plant they were building there???

It's sad to see those creeks/mountain runoffs now dry.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico