U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM

128 posts, read 234,027 times

Advertisements

We've been here in Alamogordo for 3 days looking at houses, as we are relatively sure that Alamogordo is where we're going to settle (again) from Yuma, AZ.

There are some impressive home values to be had here. There are two homes in particular that we'd have purchased, had our home in Yuma sold.

Tomorrow we intend to place a deposit on a Lot in the Tierra De Suenos subdivision where the French Brothers are building homes. We're selecting a .61 Acre lot to obtain some room between the adjacent homes, and also to provide space for RV Storage.

The French Brother homes, in my opinion, are the best quality to be had here in Alamogordo short of custom designing your own home.

We've got tomorrow to make our final decision, and then we're off to Las Cruces to do the Sound at the Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo.

George
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,961,282 times
George,
Welcome to Alamogordo! Glad that you found an area that you have the room you want. Can you put up your tower?
I think someone else just moved to Alamogordo that has posted on the CD that is in that area also. I know it was French Bros.
Keep us posted on how things are going. Hope you r place sells in Yuma soon.
Jane

Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Jane,

Thanks for the well wishes.

No tower in Tierra De Suenos, but though I have the tower in Yuma, I have not used the Radio capabilities in several years. I'm just not home that much, so the "urgency of need" is quite diminished. I'll be able to do some low level antennas that will suffice for operations here.

Fortunately, the way we are proceeding, i.e., purchasing the lot and deferring construction, it gives us time to liquidate Yuma. We're told it will also be 6 months from the time we break ground until the house will finish. Fortunately, if necessary, we've got our 36' quad slide 5th wheel to call home in the interim.

We'll keep you posted.

George

Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,315,625 times
wa3pnt: Are you talking about a ham radio tower? I'm contemplating moving to Alamogordo myself, and am wondering about the city ordinances (if any) regarding antennas.

Joe (kj5fs)

Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Joe,

To the best of my knowledge there are no City or County ordnances regarding Amateur Radio Towers, with the exception of the standard restrictions regarding proximity to Airfields, etc.

The restrictions that have been referred to are those of Subdivisions with CC&Rs (Covenents, Conditions, and Restrictions). These are things like no RV Parking, Out Building must match main home construction, etc.

George

Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM

wa3pnt: Thanks. I live in a neighborhood in Ft Worth that is fairly restrictive in that way since it is "historic". Sigh. Alamogordo sounds better all the time, since it also controls light pollution well (I am an amateur astronomer, too...all the expensive hobbies appeal to me).

Old 10-03-2007, 03:53 PM

22 posts, read 48,574 times
One of the areas you should look at is laboracita cyn. It located due east of La Luz with an alt of 5-6500ft. not a subdivision, land runs 2.5 -15 acres. there are 2 ham operators in the cyn with antennas as high as yours. Alamogordo is 12 miles(20 minutes away), La Luz 5-8miles. Winters are mild. To buy a 2500 foot home on 2.5 acres your looking at $200K min, with 5-10 acres $250 - $350K. If you live out side town/city/subdivision were water is provided - think WATER, WATER, WATER first!!!. I have seen people build a wonderful home with a well that will pump 3-15 gal's/min for 15 min, then pull silt. They have to wait an hour before they can pump the next 15 min's worth. Then they have to truck in their water, sometimes by the day, end result - lost half the worth of their property. If you buy in a the city/subdivision, I really doubt they'll let you put an 89 foot tower

Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM

oadad: Thanks for the info. I've never heard of "laboracita cyn" (what does 'cyn' mean?). I know to check out the utilities! It isn't easy to live without water in the steppes or deserts. But I never said how high my antenna was. I use indoor antennas where I am now! But I still managed to get 147 countries confirmed. I doubt that I'd ever have an 89-foot tower even if I could; a 40- to 60-foot tower would do fine.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,961,282 times
cyn= canyon

Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 AM

131 posts, read 259,002 times
Understanding and respectful of radio operators passion, one would hope that as a new neighbor they might find a way to keep the natural beauty and views clear. Personally I would be quite upset to find an antenna of any such height cracking the sky. I hope you can find a way to enjoy your passion and provide a very worth service without treading heavily on any area in which you choose to live. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico