U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2006, 05:08 PM

207 posts, read 699,271 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker {Brooklynite} seriously considering relocating to New Mexico. My primary experience has been in hospitality {catering sales/event planning}, but would also be interested in any sales or administrative position with a creative/aesthetic bent.

How varied is the job market and are there any extreme difficulties in securing a moderate income position in terms of my background?

Also, how would you rate your healthcare facilities?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,469,006 times
The best hospital pretty much in NM is UNM in Albuquerque. If you need good health care in NM, you need to be near that area, it is the ONLY level 1 trauma center for at least 250 miles in any direction.

The rest of the towns have hit or miss health care or are a little behind the times. I went to nursing school in NM BTW, so I am not just blowing hot air.

As far as jobs, your best bet would be Santa Fe or Albuquerque area. A lot of the major attractions are on indian reservations or are government run - but there may be the stray hospitality job down there. Check out monster.com, salary is lower throughout NM, but so is your entire cost of living. Albuquerque is one of the cheapest places to live in the US and the climate is wonderful.

To make a corrolation salary-wise, I am a RN about 50 miles north of you. In Newburgh, my salary would be 30/hr, in NYC about 35/hr. In NM I would be lucky to clear 25/hr which I would take in a heartbeat to get out of the northeast.

I would try to look for govenment jobs down there as well. Also if you are looking for a career change, sometimes if you go to nursing school in NM and commit to working in the state after you graduate they will pay your tuition. 7 years ago some of the people I went to school with were actually getting cash up front when they were in school. Something to think about if you want a new career or are having a hard time finding a job down there.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico